Mark Neeld to coach.... thoughts??

Remove this Banner Ad

IF this is true (still to be confirmed) I'm happy enough - from the outer, he seems the pick of the current untried assistants.

Hopefully we can secure a topline senior figure as a director of coaching, like Neil Craig, Rodney Eade or Dean Laidley to help Neeld out.

I'm positive about this development. Lyon wasn't our man I don't feel, not with the list being as young and under-developed as what it is.

We can talk about tried senior coaches all we want, but fresh ideas and approaches to the game is just as good. Guys like Eade looked spent, Lyon looks spent and there's very little else by way of senior coaches. We can't sit back and wait to see what MM will do otherwise we'll miss the boat.

Mark Neeld has been a fantastic assistant coach for us over the last 3-4 years.

If this is true, you guys are appointing a ripping person and a very smart operator.

Mark Neeld has been a fantastic assistant coach for us over the last 3-4 years.

If this is true, you guys are appointing a ripping person and a very smart operator.

What's he like as a motivator??? Our club is desperate for someone to come in and not just coach, but turn around a 40+ year losing culture! Tough ask, and I think that's why a lot of Dees supporters mught be a touch underwhelmed, as we know absolutley nothing about him. Bailey Mk II? God I hope not.

Like I said in another thread, I think I'm just a little disappointed our club couldn't land a big fish(again). Good on Freo for getting there man. I wish our club had balls like that!

I just found out, and felt pretty flat for you guys, maybe it is just because Lyon / Harvey saga, Don't know, but good luck and hope he is the right guy.

Just like Bailey he's got a good record, coached his own team and has won a flag as an assistant. Just like Bailey he comes from an unassuming playing background, not that there were any stars out there, but Burns had much more of a playing record.

He was probably my pick of the assistants before this due to his role in Collingwood, his experience and from hearing him speak.

The advantage of an inexperienced coach should be he comes cheap. I'd rather play Neeld 500k a season and spend an extra 1mil on the footy department (Sports science, fitness, overseas trip, assistant coaches) than pay Ross Lyon 1.5mil. I don't think the best coach in the land could win a flag without the added expenditure.

It's an interesting mix.
Bailey seemed to spend 3 years copying the cats game plan (but lacked experienced players to implement it)
Neeld is a defensive styled coach.

It might work well. The kids will be taught to tighten up but will still have that under lying attacking flair that was trained into them early.

Could be exciting.

Good luck with it all :thumbsu:

The advantage of an inexperienced coach should be he comes cheap. I'd rather play Neeld 500k a season and spend an extra 1mil on the footy department (Sports science, fitness, overseas trip, assistant coaches) than pay Ross Lyon 1.5mil. I don't think the best coach in the land could win a flag without the added expenditure.

Doesn't work like that. Coaches like Lyon, Roos ect seem to get that something extra from their playing group, players are willing to do anything the coaches ask of them.
Neeld may be one of these rare blokes in football, may not also, Lyon already is hence the extra money.

soon find out I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Untired, somewhat boring/low-key personality, 50 or so career games, successful as an assistant. Didn't you guys just do this? Could be a great choice, could be history repeating.

Malthouse rates him very highly. That's good enough for me.

Reckon we'll see in the near future Neeld and Trengove standing on the podium on Grand Final day.

Neeld is the most highly rated assisted coach going around, from everything I've heard.

I'm very happy with this. Initially I was adamant that we needed an experienced coach, but over the last 2-3 weeks I've been backing away from that.

Happy with this.

Apparently just Announced by Gary Lyon on MMM

edit - only caught the end, but presser tomorrow, boys on Demonland saying this is it

Seems we have our man anyway, assuming its Neeld

Sorry just trying to piece my links together

Untired, somewhat boring/low-key personality, 50 or so career games, successful as an assistant. Didn't you guys just do this? Could be a great choice, could be history repeating.

I will wager Neeld will be a better coach than ‘Hird-the-next-Tim-Watson’.

A good selection by Melbourne F.C. You have a respected assistant coach, who has done his time at a successful club, been an understudy to a successful coach, and who is young enough to have new ideas and energy to bring to the table.

Beyond backwater clubs like Essendon and Brisbane, the days of hiring a 'big name' ex player or hero of the club with little coaching experience are gone.

So too are the days where you employed some old coach who had success elsewhere but whose career is lagging (unless your GWS and need the publicity).

I still say that the firing of Bailey was reactionary and too soon - he was still developing a young list. However, Neeld is a good selection. He has done his apprenticeship and is ready to go.

Slightly pissed, as word was he would come to Geelong next season as an assistant. But here is hoping it works at the MFC.

I still say that the firing of Bailey was reactionary and too soon - he was still developing a young list. However, Neeld is a good selection. He has done his apprenticeship and is ready to go.

Slightly pissed, as word was he would come to Geelong next season as an assistant. But here is hoping it works at the MFC.
We lost by 186 to you blokes. Bailey had run his race. No forward pressure all year after it being our biggest weakness all year. Worsfold fixed it over one preseason, we didn't even get warm. I think we played one game all season with something that resembled a press which was against Richmond the first time.

Apparently just Announced by Gary Lyon on MMM

edit - only caught the end, but presser tomorrow, boys on Demonland saying this is it

Seems we have our man anyway, assuming its Neeld

Sorry just trying to piece my links together

Apparently one MM Gary has said we will have a presser tomorrow (with regards to the coach)i believe, with other panel members inferring it will be Neeld announced

Gary didnt mention names, but when i tuned in he wasnt denying we have our man, questions such as will we bring his own assistants being asked...

So it could still be Burns but with such a strong word regarding Neeld this afternoon, it seems he is our man

This bloke is in no way a Bailey type character or coach. Who gives a stuff about his playing career? Some of making a decision on playing career and notability need to sit back, shut up and enjoy the ride. I've seen him at work. He will get his hands dirty and instill some real steel into the Melbourne boys. He's tough, uncompromising, will make tough decisions on squibs, excellent tactical knowledge, most likely doesn't buy into this Gen Y bullshit of leading teams. What he says goes. Top bloke too. I'm confident it will be a different Melbourne next year....for the better. I look forward to seeing the improvement.:thumbsu:

This bloke is in no way a Bailey type character or coach. Who gives a stuff about his playing career? Some of making a decision on playing career and notability need to sit back, shut up and enjoy the ride. I've seen him at work. He will get his hands dirty and instill some real steel into the Melbourne boys. He's tough, uncompromising, will make tough decisions on squibs, excellent tactical knowledge, most likely doesn't buy into this Gen Y bullshit of leading teams. What he says goes. Top bloke too. I'm confident it will be a different Melbourne next year....for the better. I look forward to seeing the improvement.:thumbsu:

This is what I want to hear. We can't automatically judge the decision based on anything but his rep as a coach and it's terrific. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Neeld to coach.... thoughts??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back