Mark Neeld to coach.... thoughts??

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy's Bailey MK II, just has a little more hair. Hopefully it's some ploy to attract MM over in 2013.
Every unproven coach is Bailey MK II. Precious

This bloke is in no way a Bailey type character or coach. Who gives a stuff about his playing career? Some of making a decision on playing career and notability need to sit back, shut up and enjoy the ride. I've seen him at work. He will get his hands dirty and instill some real steel into the Melbourne boys. He's tough, uncompromising, will make tough decisions on squibs, excellent tactical knowledge, most likely doesn't buy into this Gen Y bullshit of leading teams. What he says goes. Top bloke too. I'm confident it will be a different Melbourne next year....for the better. I look forward to seeing the improvement.:thumbsu:
Beauty!

Neeld has been our best assistant coach over the past few years, including Brad Scott. He turned our defense around and then improved our midfield. To be honest I'd feel more comfortable with Neeld than Buckley.

Not many may not know, he coached Ocean Grove to four premierships in a row. You might say well the AFL is another step up, which it sure is, but the fact he knows how to coach is important. And four premierships in a row in any league is pretty good.

You guys have got a good one. Wished he had just stayed on as an assistant but alas he's too good for that.

All the best next year :thumbsu:

Don't stress about motivation peeps we have it in spades just a matter tapping into it. Moloney and viney will lead the motivationals. Use Jim as an example and now some of our boys are old enough and mature enough to start using it it will come. Our mix of experience and youth is coming together. By that chip is still very young but has all Australian experience. Our eldest player would be one of the youngest (oldest player) on any list. This is not bad for the future. I actually think we need a younger coach to relate to the boys better.

It would be misguided to place any future projections on where we'll go under Neeld despite my optimism. I will say however that I get the impression that Neeld is the man that 17 other clubs didn't want Melbourne to get.

I think he is primed to get the best out of our list and if he does so it will be over a long career if he isn't poached. Only time will tell but we could have sold our list down the shitter like 17 opposition clubs were hoping we would or we could have gotten someone like Mark Neeld.

Neil Craig as a director of coaching would also enhance our brand majorly but I don't want to jump the gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be misguided to place any future projections on where we'll go under Neeld despite my optimism. I will say however that I get the impression that Neeld is the man that 17 other clubs didn't want Melbourne to get.

I think he is primed to get the best out of our list and if he does so it will be over a long career if he isn't poached. Only time will tell but we could have sold our list down the shitter like 17 opposition clubs were hoping we would or we could have gotten someone like Mark Neeld.

Neil Craig as a director of coaching would also enhance our brand majorly but I don't want to jump the gun.

Pleased that Mark has got his chance at the elite level. He's been thereabouts for a few head coach jobs. My only disappointment is that he'd have rejoined our coaching team next year had he not got a top role.;)

He has earned his chance. Hope he performs well.

This bloke is in no way a Bailey type character or coach. Who gives a stuff about his playing career? Some of making a decision on playing career and notability need to sit back, shut up and enjoy the ride. I've seen him at work. He will get his hands dirty and instill some real steel into the Melbourne boys. He's tough, uncompromising, will make tough decisions on squibs, excellent tactical knowledge, most likely doesn't buy into this Gen Y bullshit of leading teams. What he says goes. Top bloke too. I'm confident it will be a different Melbourne next year....for the better. I look forward to seeing the improvement.:thumbsu:

Well, given that we have no choice in the matter, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that all this is true. Go Mark, give em hell! :thumbsu:

Just like Bailey he's got a good record, coached his own team and has won a flag as an assistant. Just like Bailey he comes from an unassuming playing background, not that there were any stars out there, but Burns had much more of a playing record.

He was probably my pick of the assistants before this due to his role in Collingwood, his experience and from hearing him speak.

The advantage of an inexperienced coach should be he comes cheap. I'd rather play Neeld 500k a season and spend an extra 1mil on the footy department (Sports science, fitness, overseas trip, assistant coaches) than pay Ross Lyon 1.5mil. I don't think the best coach in the land could win a flag without the added expenditure.

$500k p.a. for an untried assistant coach?? He'd be lucky to be pushing mid to high $300s, with incentives.

Don't stress about motivation peeps we have it in spades just a matter tapping into it. Moloney and viney will lead the motivationals. Use Jim as an example and now some of our boys are old enough and mature enough to start using it it will come. Our mix of experience and youth is coming together. By that chip is still very young but has all Australian experience. Our eldest player would be one of the youngest (oldest player) on any list. This is not bad for the future. I actually think we need a younger coach to relate to the boys better.

Who was stressing about motivation? Did you read that post Jim Boy posted, it was from a Geelong supporter who saw Needl give the best 3/4 time motivational speech while coaching Ocean Grove in the grand final. Game almost lost, injuries & tired bodies, him inspired them to a win.

I know it's just a BF posters view, but it's not made up clap trap from a supporter after he's joined their club, this was written in 2006 when Geelong were considering him for a coaching role. I suggest everyone actually go read it, really impressive

I wish Mark Neeld all the best and obviously hope he does a great job. But don’t foget he will be a developing coach with a developing team – a combination that didn’t work last time. How can anyone judge who will be the best coach out of the assistants ..Neeld, Burns, Cameron etc. ? Generally none of them have coached an AFL Team so we don’t know how they will perform. Are they good under pressure? What kind of moves do they make during a game? How do they setup or respond when they are 6 goals down? Therefore, we can’t say that we snapped up the best coach – all we can say is that based on what we know about him as an asisistant AFL coach we hope he will be a good senior AFL coach.

The decision to appoint these guys is often based on a slick presentation and the public endorsement of their senior coach (and just about every senior coach endorses their assistants).

That’s why I would have appointed someone with senior AFL coaching experience, something I don’t think we have done since John Northey. Someone who has form and a record and performance we can judge. Letting someone experiment with his theories has to be risky. Obviously the assistants have to start their senior careers somewhere, but does it have to be with the MFC again. Having said all of that, the decision is made and we have to get behind him and give him 100% support.

I wish Mark Neeld all the best and obviously hope he does a great job. But don’t foget he will be a developing coach with a developing team – a combination that didn’t work last time. How can anyone judge who will be the best coach out of the assistants ..Neeld, Burns, Cameron etc. ? Generally none of them have coached an AFL Team so we don’t know how they will perform. Are they good under pressure? What kind of moves do they make during a game? How do they setup or respond when they are 6 goals down? Therefore, we can’t say that we snapped up the best coach – all we can say is that based on what we know about him as an asisistant AFL coach we hope he will be a good senior AFL coach.

The decision to appoint these guys is often based on a slick presentation and the public endorsement of their senior coach (and just about every senior coach endorses their assistants).

That’s why I would have appointed someone with senior AFL coaching experience, something I don’t think we have done since John Northey. Someone who has form and a record and performance we can judge. Letting someone experiment with his theories has to be risky. Obviously the assistants have to start their senior careers somewhere, but does it have to be with the MFC again. Having said all of that, the decision is made and we have to get behind him and give him 100% support.

I agree with your sentiments re: another coach coming in with a developing team but we are in a much different position to the one Bailey inherited. Bailey did the hard work in terms of turning the list over but he had a lot of dead wood and players who weren't required. That's all done now.

What Neeld gets is an extremely young list that he can mould and shape how he sees fit. The older players still have plenty to give (bar Green) and he shouldn't have to un-train too many bad habits. I think it's a great opportunity for him.

What Neeld gets is an extremely young list that he can mould and shape how he sees fit. The older players still have plenty to give (bar Green) and he shouldn't have to un-train too many bad habits. I think it's a great opportunity for him.
This is right.

Also if you look at Bailey, he was more a product of his environment at Port (before he came to Melbourne). The architects of Port's success were Clarkson and Walsh, Bailey simply road their coat tails and dribbled shit at his job interview presenting someone who was part of that success when really he was making up numbers.

In contrast Neeld is a genuine designer of Collingwood's success (amongst others) rather than simply being at the right place at the right time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Neeld to coach.... thoughts??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back