mark of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its going to take a real beauty to beat that for MOTY.

I was about 50m from Liam Jurrah's mark last year and I was like those bomber fans in the background. A pure speccy transcends side loyaly for a split second. :)

But look at the elevation, especially from that side angle. It's all leap. Reminiscent slightly of Jeff Farmer circa 1998.

I would have to go Walker, followed by Naitanui, then Krakouer and lastly Petterd.

Also any takers for Jarrad Grant? :D

The thing is, Nic Nat, Walker and Petterd all managed to leap up onto/over their opponent's shoulders. Krakouer's shins run along Thompson's back - he did get a lot of elevation, but not to the extent of the other three.

Will rank mine in more detail then:

1 - Walker (on shoulders, heaps of hangtime, boosted slightly)
=2 - NicNat (on shoulders, slightly less hangtime, no boost)
=2 - Petterd (on shoulders, not as much hangtime but a little boost)
4 - Krakouer (on back, not really much hangtime)

That's just how I see it though, and I still think Krakouer took a brilliant mark.

Smith from Melbourne took a blinder at Brisbane he took it on his chest,its about the Height great grab.

Remember watching it as a kid. Even watching it now, it's hard to go past that. Just pure elevation, and to top it off he took the 4-5 metre fall. I've looked out the window of a 747 and never seen anything as high as that.

Moorcroft, Smith (I think he took two?) and Goddard in the GF. Walker's is up there.

Edite: Btw, criteria for MOTY: Height, second lift, hang, drop/crash. Gotta have all of those.

nic nats mark against the blues was very very very very good, this I would say was marginally better.

That said, if nic nat won, I wouldn't say it was a rough call.

Two of the great marks of footy.

for me, Walker, Goddard GF1, nic nat v the blues, best three marks in the last 12 months.

Agree but for timing; Goddard's speccy GF1 was at such a crucial stage in the biggest game.

Nic Nat and Walks both hung for a very long time though.

And Walks simply topped off smacking the Dons tonight.

I shouldn't have read all the hype before seeing the mark. A big leap but certainly not a standout for MOTY, you could raffle it in with NN, Petterd and Krakour's.

Best mark in years? Ha.

The hype in this thread is ridiculous.

1. Height.
x 2. taken above head.
x 3. taken in pack.

Walker's only ticks the first. His mark earlier this year was better IMO.

I think it's harder to get so high without crashing a pack. When there's a big group of players they are usually jostling each other and quite stationary. It's easy to know where they will be at the drop of the ball and you have a larger selection of backs to jump on.

If it's just one bloke you are towering over you have to be incredibly agile to get that far up.

- Ridiculous verticle jump
- Mark taken a good 3-4m off the ground
- No hands in the back
- Both knees are on the shoulders of a bloke who is nearly 200cm tall
- Grab taken cleanly and not dropped even when he hits the turf

One of the best grabs of the last decade. Easily.

That is a ridiculous leap. In one movement he was sitting on a bloke's shoulders. Naita and Krakeour's were great grabs, but they were boosted to an extent by the pack. This is all vertical leap.

MOTY for mine. Best in years? Personally, Jurrah's MOTY and Burton's a few years ago just shade it.

images

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=S...&w=366&h=488&ei=A1krTrbBEfCfmQXupfy5Dw&zoom=1

Now Ashley Sampi was WAY better than Walkers as was Smiths mark of the century

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walker hung for longer and got the second elevation but naita leaped higher and with outstretched arms got the ball from further off the ground. Naitas was freakishly talented , but walker knew what he was doing every second of it and executed it perfectly. Niks looked better, but walkers was more respectable. Think nik will get moty just because the afl have a genuine erection when it comes to black people.

Have seen both marks live and will also say that they always look beter live at the game because I think sometimes the commentary/ camera angle can downplay/ ruin the atmosphere around the mark.

Last night after Walkers mark I said that Nic Nats was still better because of his height and considering he got up on Dean Cox's shoulder.

However after watching both again I now think that Walker's mark is better simply because:
- Carlisle is still 197cm (smaller than Cox, I know, but he's not exactly small)
- He had more hang time (where Nic Nat came down just as quickly as he went up)
- Got both knees up (Nic Nat only the one)
- Was one on one (for me, I think it's easier to take a speccy in a pack because you have more people to climb on top of)
- Was running backwards before having to turn around to get to the marking contest (i.e. didn't have a clean run through at the footy)

However they are both the best marks of the year, and it wouldn't necessarily be an outcry if either of them win the MOTY award.

Have seen both marks live and will also say that they always look beter live at the game because I think sometimes the commentary/ camera angle can downplay/ ruin the atmosphere around the mark.

Last night after Walkers mark I said that Nic Nats was still better because of his height and considering he got up on Dean Cox's shoulder.

However after watching both again I now think that Walker's mark is better simply because:
- Carlisle is still 197cm (smaller than Cox, I know, but he's not exactly small)
- He had more hang time (where Nic Nat came down just as quickly as he went up)
- Got both knees up (Nic Nat only the one)
- Was one on one (for me, I think it's easier to take a speccy in a pack because you have more people to climb on top of)
- Was running backwards before having to turn around to get to the marking contest (i.e. didn't have a clean run through at the footy)

and

your a Blues supporter :D

Walker's is Mark of the year easily.
Agreed.

The previous contenders from Krakouer, Natanui and Petterd were all spectacular high marks, but none of them took the breath away like Walker's mark.

People can argue until they are blue in the face. Sure, there are better marks than Walker's for degree of difficulty, importance and height at which the ball was plucked, but speckies are judged differently. Those things are irrelevant. It's all about the aesthetic beauty, hang time and leap.

In 2000, Chris Tarrant took a much, much better mark than Gary Moorcroft. In the wet, over a big pack, with his opponent right on his hammer; he jumped high and met the ball at the apex of his leap, up and over, fell to ground face forwards and he held onto the ball. But Gary Moorcroft won MOTY for his relatively simple one-on-one fly because he kicked out off Brad Johnson's shoulders, arched his back and and completed a ridiculously spectacular mark.

As soon as Walker completed it and they showed the first replay, you knew he'd joined the likes of Moorcroft, Silvagni, Smith and Sampi and taken a mark that will be replayed forever.

strategy said:
Ashley Sampi's was WAY better than Walker's as was Smith's mark of the century
Agreed.

People always get excited when someone takes a classic hanger, which is fair enough.

Walker's mark was a thing of beauty. Degree of difficulty was very low. Everything fell into place for him: he had the perfect sit and nobody else came across to make it a contest. But the timing, the leap, the extension, the hang time, the catch and the landing were all performed with an effortless grace.

There was a bit of Trevor Barker and Nicky Winmar about it.

It reminded me of a mark taken years ago by Tony Antrobus in North Adelaide colours: the way he perched with perfect balance with both knees on each of his opponent's shoulders.

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=RFhU6o8fg4Y

It's Walkers to lose now.

Call me biased, but I can't recall seeing a better mark in my time watching the game.

I kid you not, it was the closest I've come to tears in years. Might have shed one or two watching that. Vertical leap, no hands in the back, both knees on the shoulders...incredible. :thumbsu:

Best mark I've ever seen was Aaron Edwards versus Hawthorn.

I was there, and it was absolutely massive.

Thing that makes it so special for me was the degree of difficultly. I don't think some appreciate how hard it is to get both knees up onto an opponent's shoulder. Far more difficult than going up on one knee.

There'd be few players who get one knee up onto Carlile's shoulder under any circumstance, you could probably count on one hand the number who could get both knees up. To manage it in a game is phenomenal.

Extraordinary technique and balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back