Mark Thompson cost Gary Ablett Brownlow: manager Liam Pickering

Remove this Banner Ad

The attempted assassination of Mark Thompson's reputation by media continues.

It's a shame he couldn't give two shits about Ablett these days or what some knobends on Bigfooty who haven't played or coached a game of AFL in their lives say about his character.

Geelong perhaps had become a little stale under the Thompson regime and look re-energised under Scott this year. Essendon have also benefited enormously from getting Mark back to the club. Win for both clubs. Time to move on. Liam Pickering's client in Moneybags Ablett can now look forward to a potentially winless season and not much success in the near future.

I'm sure Ablett couldn't give two shits what knobends on big footy say about him either.

doesnt liam manage swan? wonder what dane thinks when liam said bomber cost ablett all the media awards;)

Hasn't Mick also said he'll use Swan up forward when not on the ball ?
Get ready Pie fans if Swan doesn't winner the Brownlow,Prickers will be blaming Mick for using him up forward.

I'm sure Ablett couldn't give two shits what knobends on big footy say about him either.

Precisely. That's the beauty of it.

People on here can continue to try and play the role of moral compass all they like when it comes to Thompson and/or Ablett, but at the end of the day the people in question couldn't give a crap. Life goes on.

I can't wait until the Brownlow is officially irrelevant. Still amazed people respect an award voted on by people no one respects.

Even on here, there are massive threads about the Brownlow, and then one afterwards detailing each round and whatnot. Each club forum has numerous threads discussing it as well.

In short, the Brownlow isnt going anywhere.

Even on here, there are massive threads about the Brownlow, and then one afterwards detailing each round and whatnot. Each club forum has numerous threads discussing it as well.

In short, the Brownlow isnt going anywhere.
I've always thought the AFLPA MVP was a more relevant award than the Brownlow because it's voted on by people who aren't umpiring the game as their first duty.

Suprised at the vitriol some of the Cats supporters have for Gaz. Dont try and rewrite history and pretend he wasnt your best and most important player. Even look at his finals performances over the years. Esp 2008 GF and 2010 PF. Your best player easily both times and the only player still going full bore when the rest had pulled up anchor in his last match for your club

Most of us realise that. Some don't. We're not all the same.

My, my the truth is finally bubbling to the surface.

Under that cheesy dull 'nice guy' persona Ablett projects, there is a full blown selfish self-centred avaricious w***er.

Who would have thunk it? :rolleyes:

It just confirms what most Geelong supporters with a modicum of common sense suspected was going on.

What with all the childish hissy fits on field, the sour expression on his face when Jimmeh won the Brownlow medal in 2007 etc, you always had a sneaking suspicion Ablett was one of those individuals motivated more by personal than team success.

Good riddance to the handball-happy stat whore. His departure has straighten our team in that our players no longer waste time looking to dish it off to him when we win possession and just pass it to the best available option instead.

That's funny. I'm pretty sure all of the quotes in that article were attributed to Liam Pickering and not Ablett. But don't let that ruin your meltdown.

I've always thought the AFLPA MVP was a more relevant award than the Brownlow because it's voted on by people who aren't umpiring the game as their first duty.

I actually prefer the Coaches award because the coaches know what's going on far more intimately than we do, and are doing exactly that, watching the players and exactly what they are or aren't doing.

Players are worried about playing the game, not which of their opponents is playing well.

I've got nothing against Ablett or Thompson. They were a huge part in bringing two premierships that I never thought I'd see. Good luck to them. As for Pickering, I used to like him as a player but seems like a tool as a manager. Any Cat fans know if he is manager to other players of ours?

Well put and same here. :thumbsu:

As for the reported feud between Thompson and GAJ.....It sounded from all accounts ego based and rather silly. :rolleyes: The only other thing I will say is that as Thompson was the more senior of the two; he probably should have handled it way better at the time. In any event it's now just ancient history.

In truth the players award is probably the least accurate and the one most influenced by extraneous factors. The players play but are not necessarily students of the game. They may only see the player they vote for once or twice a year so go on what they read in the papers , what their mates at the club say or a few up close contests with one of the guns

I suspect most players dont analyse the seasons of others players that closely. The AFLPA award isnt a week by week assessment rather an opinion at the end of the year and so is likely to "follow" the media awards etc in handing out a vote.

Its from your peers but that doesnt make it accurate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always knew that Ablett was a self-centered w***er and all I can do is laugh in glee at how long it's taken Geelong fans to come around to this fact.

Pretty bloody funny in all honesty.

As for Pickering, STFU. No-one cares about Ablett and Brownlow as they'll more than likely never happen again :D

Good riddance to the handball-happy stat whore. His departure has straighten our team in that our players no longer waste time looking to dish it off to him when we win possession and just pass it to the best available option instead.
Thats so true, I just cant understand why people think he's the best in the league... In every game, all I see is him running up to a player who's just marked the ball, and he'll demand a handball, and then do a little dinky handball back, and then demand the footy again before bombing it long, because they're now under pressure from the man on the mark, who would have otherwise been forced to stand back if the bloke marking the footy could have gone back for a kick under no pressure, as opposed to running up the ground into space to present a target, or sheppard/block for another team mate, but I guess he must have listened to Liam who told him, he'll never get 50 possessions a game if he tried to do the team thing

The attempted assassination of Mark Thompson's reputation by media continues.

It's a shame he couldn't give two shits about Ablett these days or what some knobends on Bigfooty who haven't played or coached a game of AFL in their lives say about his character.

Geelong perhaps had become a little stale under the Thompson regime and look re-energised under Scott this year. Essendon have also benefited enormously from getting Mark back to the club. Win for both clubs. Time to move on. ...

MT's reputation has suffered (and will continue to suffer) because he LIED about things through last year. And for him to come out and publicly state that he was never going to coach in 2011...well that to me makes things even worse. All his doing...not the media's!!!

I do agree with your other points however...both sides have benefited and it is time for all parties to move on.

I also agree with many of the posters on here who stated that maybe MT played Ablett forward to start preparing the team for life post Ablett. My personal opinion is that it was probably a combination of both preparing the team for when Ablett leaves and also MT being bitter about it. Not sure I would call it sabotage though.

I can't wait until the Brownlow is officially irrelevant. Still amazed people respect an award voted on by people no one respects.

The problem is that bonuses ($$$) are tied to awards and the Brownlow. Hence it will never be irrelevant. I do agree with you though as I don't think it is close to the players MVP which IMO is by far and away the most important award for a player.

pickers was much better doing his schultz impression:

sergeant-shultz-sergeant-shultz-hogan-s-heroes-demotivational-poster-1277008254.jpg

Wonder if Liam told Gaz what he was going to say before he opened his mouth. Seems a pointless comment at this time. Up to this time Gaz had come out of it looking better than Thompson.

The AFL created the situation that led Gaz to be offered an over the top contract. I wouldnt hold him at fault here. Thompson needed to act with a little more maturity last season from what we have heard. His actions since dont really cast him as a very honourable bloke

Suprised at the vitriol some of the Cats supporters have for Gaz. Dont try and rewrite history and pretend he wasnt your best and most important player. Even look at his finals performances over the years. Esp 2008 GF and 2010 PF. Your best player easily both times and the only player still going full bore when the rest had pulled up anchor in his last match for your club

He gave you plenty and you should love him for it even with the hurt of losing him

Yep I too have wondered at all the vitriol directed at Ablett. Whenever I watched him he seemed to be leading by example, something Geelong should be proud of. He has moved onto other challenges, all the best to him.

I think Bomber has a bit of egg on his face .......... stirred the mud, then walked away. Is he an honourable person ?????.

Thommo wanted Gaz to win the Coleman and the brownlow last year so he would have more medals before he left. How selfish in not kicking enough goals which in turn cost him Both.

Gaz You have yourself to blame.!!!!!!!!

I actually prefer the Coaches award because the coaches know what's going on far more intimately than we do, and are doing exactly that, watching the players and exactly what they are or aren't doing.

Players are worried about playing the game, not which of their opponents is playing well.

In truth the players award is probably the least accurate and the one most influenced by extraneous factors. The players play but are not necessarily students of the game. They may only see the player they vote for once or twice a year so go on what they read in the papers , what their mates at the club say or a few up close contests with one of the guns

I suspect most players dont analyse the seasons of others players that closely. The AFLPA award isnt a week by week assessment rather an opinion at the end of the year and so is likely to "follow" the media awards etc in handing out a vote.

Its from your peers but that doesnt make it accurate

I don't agree with you. Leigh Matthews Trophy

Which of the listed players would you not consider the best player in the league that season as voted on by the players? The players have more invested in the game that anyone cares to know. They know exactly how other players are tracking. That said I do agree that coaches have a good handle on the game but I'm yet to see the players get it wrong.

Noone cost Gaj the brownlow except Chris Judd....and what should have been Dane Swan.

Gaj had a great season last year, not his best, but thought he really excelled in the forward posts and the fact he slotted 44 sausage rolls speaks volumes. The whole 'spat' is a media beat up and really goes over the top. Both Bomber and Ablett coached and played to the best of their abilities whilst at Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Thompson cost Gary Ablett Brownlow: manager Liam Pickering

Remove this Banner Ad

Back