Movie Marvel Cinematic Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Would of been better if they did this as a surprise reveal in the movie itself. Wasted opportunity.

Obviously marvel are worried they can't hold surprises like this off anymore.
Modern movie making is 80% marketing. I agree a suprise here and there would be great but ultimately its nigh on impossible to keep these secrets anymore.

Modern movie making is 80% marketing. I agree a suprise here and there would be great but ultimately its nigh on impossible to keep these secrets anymore.
Yeah even this announcement was leaked early, and the Spider-man leaking became comical. There’s probably scope for minor cameos to be kept quiet but not major characters anymore.

Just feels cheap to me.

Be like a major TV show having a main character die and then bringing him back 2 seasons later as a completely different character. There's a reason you don't see that happen...
The big question for me is whether there’s some plan behind it and it’s part of the story, or whether they’ve just crapped the bed because of the mess they were in and intend to work it out later.

Just feels cheap to me.

Be like a major TV show having a main character die and then bringing him back 2 seasons later as a completely different character. There's a reason you don't see that happen...

I always felt he would be back anyway for Secret Wars. A multiversal Avengers line up with appearances from the likes of RDJ, Evans, Toby Maguire etc. The budget alone for casting would be wild. RDJ alone would be what, $40m-ish a film I’m guessing.

It remains to be seen if this Doom is a Stark variant or not, and I wonder if RDJ appears on both “sides” in that film.

I always felt he would be back anyway for Secret Wars. A multiversal Avengers line up with appearances from the likes of RDJ, Evans, Toby Maguire etc. The budget alone for casting would be wild. RDJ alone would be what, $40m-ish a film I’m guessing.

It remains to be seen if this Doom is a Stark variant or not, and I wonder if RDJ appears on both “sides” in that film.
I think it's one thing bringing him back as Iron Man (although this is why I hate the multiverse - the stakes are completely irrelevant). I don't know the source material well enough, is there comics where Doom is a Stark variant?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's one thing bringing him back as Iron Man (although this is why I hate the multiverse - the stakes are completely irrelevant). I don't know the source material well enough, is there comics where Doom is a Stark variant?

Yes. Not major appearances, but yes.

Off the top of my head, Iron Maniac I believe it was called. Early 2000s. A bit after there’s a “What If” feature of Stark and Victor swapping roles during college.

As they usually do though, they’ll draw from various sources and not directly adapt something outright.

They could cast Evans, Scarlett, hell even cgi chadwick as different characters with reason that “multiverse” and get away with it.

Evans to come back as The Human Torch from an alternative dimension? :think:

I can’t really believe some of these shows were ever greenlit. How much demand could there really have been for Echo, Agatha etc.

I think from here on in they’ll be picking the safe options with the biggest bang for buck, both in movies and TV.

Thought she was pretty good in WandaVision, I'll probably give it a look.

I'm torn on that. She was good in WandaVision but equally, as a character, does she need her own show? I don't mind it if they're building her into something bigger in the overall universe but if it's just a one off, I really don't see the point.

Yeh, this is where those multiverse storylines ALWAYS lose interest. If anyone at anytime can just come back then deaths mean nothing, outcomes are irrelevant and the "story" loses most of its meaning.

Retconning is common in comic book lore but i cant imagine there would be all that much interest in it from a cinematic universe level.
Yes. Not major appearances, but yes.

Off the top of my head, Iron Maniac I believe it was called. Early 2000s. A bit after there’s a “What If” feature of Stark and Victor swapping roles during college.

As they usually do though, they’ll draw from various sources and not directly adapt something outright.
Yeh i think thats right. Ultimately to me the ONLY way this can possibly work is if he is a variant of Stark assuming the mantle of Doom and its adressed. If they just roll with "He is Victor Von Doom any resemblance to any person living or dead is purely coincedental" its gonna be absolutely ridiculous.

Ive read some stuff about Gemma Chan being in Captain Marvel and THEN being in Eternals as a different character. Now granted shes a main chatacter in Eternals but 1- No one cares about Eternals 2- she had absolutely no cross over for interaction with any shared characters in those two films 3- Shes a blue alien in CM there is at least SOME deniability to note "that chick kinda looks like this other chick" 4- No one even, is claiming either of Chans characters were in any way important to the broader continuity of the MCU.

Yeh, this is where those multiverse storylines ALWAYS lose interest. If anyone at anytime can just come back then deaths mean nothing, outcomes are irrelevant and the "story" loses most of its meaning.

Retconning is common in comic book lore but i cant imagine there would be all that much interest in it from a cinematic universe level.

Yeh i think thats right. Ultimately to me the ONLY way this can possibly work is if he is a variant of Stark assuming the mantle of Doom and its adressed. If they just roll with "He is Victor Von Doom any resemblance to any person living or dead is purely coincedental" its gonna be absolutely ridiculous.

Ive read some stuff about Gemma Chan being in Captain Marvel and THEN being in Eternals as a different character. Now granted shes a main chatacter in Eternals but 1- No one cares about Eternals 2- she had absolutely no cross over for interaction with any shared characters in those two films 3- Shes a blue alien in CM there is at least SOME deniability to note "that chick kinda looks like this other chick" 4- No one even, is claiming either of Chans characters were in any way important to the broader continuity of the MCU.

I cannot think of another scenario at the moment aside from the Stark variant one. They took the piss with the coincidental resemblance thing with Evan Peters/WandaVision (good ol Ralph Boner). And I cannot fathom Feige getting the band back together (Russos, RDJ, Markus and McFeely etc) only to roll the dice like that.

Doom, if done properly, would take genius levels to defeat so hence my prediction that it would be set up for Secret Wars to require the caliber of a multiversal Tony Stark etc to be brought into the ensemble to counteract him.

I’m more used to this multiverse stuff than the general audience I fully admit. Noting full well the comments being made here about the multiverse, it’s all valid. And the MCU hasnt really done it well so far. So finding a way to make it plausible for the wider audience is something I’m very curious how they will pull off.

I cannot think of another scenario at the moment aside from the Stark variant one. They took the piss with the coincidental resemblance thing with Evan Peters/WandaVision (good ol Ralph Boner). And I cannot fathom Feige getting the band back together (Russos, RDJ, Markus and McFeely etc) only to roll the dice like that.

Doom, if done properly, would take genius levels to defeat so hence my prediction that it would be set up for Secret Wars to require the caliber of a multiversal Tony Stark etc to be brought into the ensemble to counteract him.

I’m more used to this multiverse stuff than the general audience I fully admit. Noting full well the comments being made here about the multiverse, it’s all valid. And the MCU hasnt really done it well so far. So finding a way to make it plausible for the wider audience is something I’m very curious how they will pull off.
Would you expect the avengers (minus Black Panther obviously) from Infinity/End Game will be in Secret Wars as well as the Tobey Maguire's etc?

Im reasonably well versed in comic book shenanigans with this stuff being a nerd from way back but youve nailed it with the last bit. How they make it accessible, digestable and entertaining to a wide mass appeal audience is the key. To me it feels like they bottled lightning with everything through to Endgame and wrapping that up so nicely has hamstrung them.

Opportunity exists here and im alot more forgiving of most of Phase 5 (or whatever were up to post Endgame) but no one could say its being done well so far.
Would you expect the avengers (minus Black Panther obviously) from Infinity/End Game will be in Secret Wars as well as the Tobey Maguire's etc?
I think some and not others. Widow i cant see it. Some others like Hawkeye, Thor and even Cap seem unlikely to me.

BP was supposed to be taken over (if youve seen Wakanda Forever you know). Even Ironman seemed like that was to become Ironheart.

Theres also some introductions that dont seem to have gone anywhere (Ms.Marvel and Monica Rambeau).

Plus were clearly now gonna be introducing at least some of the X-Men and F4 so... it gets REAL bloated.

Im reasonably well versed in comic book shenanigans with this stuff being a nerd from way back but youve nailed it with the last bit. How they make it accessible, digestable and entertaining to a wide mass appeal audience is the key. To me it feels like they bottled lightning with everything through to Endgame and wrapping that up so nicely has hamstrung them.

Opportunity exists here and im alot more forgiving of most of Phase 5 (or whatever were up to post Endgame) but no one could say its being done well so far.

I think some and not others. Widow i cant see it. Some others like Hawkeye, Thor and even Cap seem unlikely to me.

BP was supposed to be taken over (if youve seen Wakanda Forever you know). Even Ironman seemed like that was to become Ironheart.

Theres also some introductions that dont seem to have gone anywhere (Ms.Marvel and Monica Rambeau).

Plus were clearly now gonna be introducing at least some of the X-Men and F4 so... it gets REAL bloated.
Seemed pretty clear they were going for new Cap, Thor, Ironman, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hulk, Black Panther and more but none really took hold, so they’re going back to the originals.

I think they should have started ultra low key again after Endgame and built slowly to something big again, but they were straight back to save-the-universe in almost every project.

They’ve made a complete mess of it and I think a lot of casual followers have jumped off, but all it takes is Wolverine in yellow and a lot are back, so they might just take that as far as they can and make hay for the next few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie Marvel Cinematic Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back