Movie Marvel Cinematic Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you expect the avengers (minus Black Panther obviously) from Infinity/End Game will be in Secret Wars as well as the Tobey Maguire's etc?

Im reasonably well versed in comic book shenanigans with this stuff being a nerd from way back but youve nailed it with the last bit. How they make it accessible, digestable and entertaining to a wide mass appeal audience is the key. To me it feels like they bottled lightning with everything through to Endgame and wrapping that up so nicely has hamstrung them.

Opportunity exists here and im alot more forgiving of most of Phase 5 (or whatever were up to post Endgame) but no one could say its being done well so far.

I think some and not others. Widow i cant see it. Some others like Hawkeye, Thor and even Cap seem unlikely to me.

BP was supposed to be taken over (if youve seen Wakanda Forever you know). Even Ironman seemed like that was to become Ironheart.

Theres also some introductions that dont seem to have gone anywhere (Ms.Marvel and Monica Rambeau).

Plus were clearly now gonna be introducing at least some of the X-Men and F4 so... it gets REAL bloated.

I’d love King Chadwick back, in anything really. Such a loss he was.

The roster now is so full that Feige himself said recently during the press tour that they are not going to be able to incorporate every character introduced since Endgame. Which is wise.

I’d imagine they will lean into Xmen and F4 to feature prominently. Secret Wars should be an Endgame level event, 3 hours long.

To get there though I’m predicting some kind of Avengers vs Xmen prior. To then unite by the time of Secret Wars. Maybe it’s incorporated into Doomsday, perhaps Doom pits them against each other.

As for Secret Wars itself, I’ve got no doubt they’re trying behind the scenes to have a sequence of the likes of Jackman, Toby Maguire, RDJ, Evans etc on one team along with cherry picking between the familiar (Hemsworth, some Guardians etc) and the new (F4, Shang Chi etc).

I’m no expert however I’ll try and add context.

Secret Wars is the jewell in the crown. Avengers 6. The longer the Marvel malaise has gone one my feeling is the more ridiculously epic that film is shaping up.

Battleworld is the new endgame. The culmination of the collapse of the multiverse from various incursions. Battleworld is a patchwork of the remaining fabrics and remnants of the universe.

My gut feel and I’m happy to be proven wrong on this. However my feeling on that is that we’ll see the likes of Maguire’s Spider-Man lead the Avengers in that. That level of cast they will go for IMO. Evans will be back. Cherry pick the best of all time Marvel live action characters to combine as multiversal Avengers.

However to get there they gotta get shit together and go all guns blazing in Avengers 5. That’s where RDJ comes in. Doom has been ridiculously under-utilised imo. He should’ve appeared by now. Ideally, had they known what would happen with Tenoch Huerta’s allegations, ideally Namor would’ve been replaced with Doom instead for Wakanda Forever.

Anyway, Doom must be set up properly first, and can see why they’ve gone back to the familiarity of the Russos and RDJ to make it happen.
Damn it all seems so overwhelming in a way that they were almost always gonna fail at some point.

Damn it all seems so overwhelming in a way that they were almost always gonna fail at some point.

Yes it can be overwhelming. One thing peak MCU balanced beautifully was adapting classic comic book themes and removing some of the gimmicky/silly stuff that won’t translate well into live action and a large wide audience.

The current “Multiverse saga” has been very hit and miss dating back to the multiverse bait they threw out in Far From Home/Mysterio stuff. I’d much prefer it to be self contained within the established universe. However Battleworld gives them the scope to play with this stuff, and play with it damn well with the multiversal Avengers, to then wrap it up nicely and close off that loop by defeating Doom (who I imagine they will draw from the storyline of Doom creating this iteration of Battleworld).

Seemed pretty clear they were going for new Cap, Thor, Ironman, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hulk, Black Panther and more but none really took hold, so they’re going back to the originals.

I think they should have started ultra low key again after Endgame and built slowly to something big again, but they were straight back to save-the-universe in almost every project.

They’ve made a complete mess of it and I think a lot of casual followers have jumped off, but all it takes is Wolverine in yellow and a lot are back, so they might just take that as far as they can and make hay for the next few years.
New cap has a solo movie coming.
No new Thor. Hensworth has said he’d comeback too. I just think love and thunder was a flop.
Ironman/heart, Hawkeye/Kate bishop, black widow, hulk/she hulk, black Panther all have replacements.

Thor MAYBE, the rest would be suprising and pretty weird to return.

New cap has a solo movie coming.
No new Thor. Hensworth has said he’d comeback too. I just think love and thunder was a flop.
Ironman/heart, Hawkeye/Kate bishop, black widow, hulk/she hulk, black Panther all have replacements.

Thor MAYBE, the rest would be suprising and pretty weird to return.
I think the idea behind introducing “Love” was to have a young one take the mantle in a future film featuring Ironheart, Bishop etc along with Ms Marvel. There was talk of a Young Avengers film but it seems to have gone quiet.

There’s no real buzz around the new Cap and I don’t think you could plot a film around any of the other next gens at this stage.

If the Marvels got the reaction it got, then D&W smashes records, and shortly after Downey announces his return, I reckon they’re planning to go full greatest hits through to Secret Wars and quietly disavow a lot of the rest.

I’d be stunned if Evans, Renner and Ruffalo aren’t around during the next two Avengers films.

im assuming tony stark is a villian in some other multiverse and becomes dr doom?

Boy they need to get rid of this muitiverse rubbish. Its completely destroyed marvel.
Tell me you know nothing about Marvel Comics without telling me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me you know nothing about Marvel Comics without telling me.
It's OK to say you don't think the multiverse is working for Marvel films. Marvel comics are made for a significant but niche market, Marvel films have been transformed into a mainstream product. For a lot of people, there's little to no crossover. There's no point saying something is great in the comics if it doesn't translate to the big screen and a mainstream audience. Saying the multiverse isn't working as well as the Infinity Saga is nothing groundbreaking, it's generally accepted even if some of the reasons are out of their control (Majors, Disney pushing for too much TV content etc).

It's OK to say you don't think the multiverse is working for Marvel films. Marvel comics are made for a significant but niche market, Marvel films have been transformed into a mainstream product. For a lot of people, there's little to no crossover. There's no point saying something is great in the comics if it doesn't translate to the big screen and a mainstream audience. Saying the multiverse isn't working as well as the Infinity Saga is nothing groundbreaking, it's generally accepted even if some of the reasons are out of their control (Majors, Disney pushing for too much TV content etc).
Boseman and (to a lesser extent) Hurt dying was also a curveball.

I think they’ve done a massive internal course correction but given the secrecy surrounding projects it’s hard to know how big.

With Spider-Man NWH and Deadpool 3 killing it and the newer properties struggling I think they’re going to play it very safe for a while now.

I’m mildly optimistic this is a good course correction.

They got too big for a while and lost the focus on the core story. They’re also doing a pretty shit job building the new phases so far. Hopefully with an anchor like RDJ as a villain they can start to weave around that, like they did with him as the central hero originally.

I dont have a problem with the multiverse. Used well it can have great results for fans and marvel ie no way home and d&w. Also Loki seasom 2 actually handled it very well from a story perpecttive. No suprise given the 2 directors made very good very low budget movies based on similar themes previously.

Can anyone see them going back to a singular universe post Secret Wars? Or are we now stuck in a never ending multiverse loop?

I’d imagine it would end the “multiverse saga” much like Endgame finished off the “infinity saga”.

Crossovers of this size and scale in the comics very commonly culminate with a merged/resetting type event at the end. I envisage this would be a pathway to then have a singular universe post Secret Wars, with the likes of Xmen and F4 etc well and truly established by then in the 616 MCU.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie Marvel Cinematic Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back