Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Oct 14, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man U,Packers,Feyenoord
Shaun Burgoyne thinks Marlon Motlop may see some game time in 2008.

Burgoyne has a new partner in pace

By Katrina Gill
for portadelaidefc.com.au

THE POWER’S biggest weapon in 2007 will be an even bigger strength this year according to star midfielder Shaun Burgoyne.

Last year Burgoyne and company blitzed opposition sides with dashing run all over the field and now, with the addition of a few more speedsters, the vice-captain says the team is even quicker.

Marlon Motlop is one draftee that 25-year-old Burgoyne believes is capable of helping the Power move up another gear in 2008.

“At the moment Marlon’s probably the standout [of the draftees],” Burgoyne said.

“He’s probably a bit more developed than the other draftees. Two of the others [Matt Lobbe and Matt Westhoff] are tall, key forwards who are probably a bit underdone with their physical conditioning to play.

“Marlon’s a smart player as well, so we might see him get a game this year.” More....

Just what we need.
Another overhyped and underperforming Motlop:mad:

He clearly grew a lot last year (Daniel that is). 2006 he was a nervous player.

I think that having a family member at the club is an extra spur for the players. I swear Peter became a harder player at the ball when Shaun burst onto the scene and showed more strength in close than Peter had shown before then. Then Peter stepped up to become a real heavy traffic threat.

I see Marlon as a replacement for the great PB in a couple of years, no pressure just yet. If he can get games good on him.

I think that having a family member at the club is an extra spur for the players. I swear Peter became a harder player at the ball when Shaun burst onto the scene and showed more strength in close than Peter had shown before then. Then Peter stepped up to become a real heavy traffic threat.

I see Marlon as a replacement for the great PB in a couple of years, no pressure just yet. If he can get games good on him.
He apparently has a lot of ability acording to many in the NT but Andrew McLeod gets a rap in every edition of the NT News printed in the last 10 years:rolleyes:.
Very Parochial up here.They claim everyone as the NT's very own.Even if they landed at the airport once on a stopover coming back from London:p

Andrew McLeod is a fairly good player, just quietly.

Edit:- Motlop D's last season should have partly justified Port acquiring him IMO. He kicked some vital goals, 2.4 goals a game for a small forward is pretty reasonable and he did not shirk the dirty work of chasing and tackling when required. He was disappointing in the grand final but then he had a lot of mates. If he can repeat or even improve on that effort, and I don't see why he cannot, then he cannot be called overrated and underperforming.

Marlon has not shown himself to be marvellous yet but physically he reminds me of Danyle Pearce. If he can bring Pearcey's work ethic to the table then I think we've got ourselves a beauty because his foot skills are innately better than Danyle's.

another jealous person from the N.T who can never just give praise for a fellow territorian.....
Not jealous Peter Pan.
I hope Marlon Motlop becomes an excellent player for the PAFC.
It is just that here in the NT we get earbashed on the radio and TV and in the papers hours after hour,day after day,week after week and year after year of how the NT's very own indigenous talent makes it big "down South" over and over and over again:eek:

Just what we need.
Another overhyped and underperforming Motlop:mad:

Very unfair on what Daniel showed in 2007

He has well & truly justified his place in our team, and the decision to recruit him.

Very unfair on what Daniel showed in 2007

He has well & truly justified his place in our team, and the decision to recruit him.

Spot on. :thumbsu:

Daniel (like many other's) had an absolute horror GF, but apart from that game I thought in many games this year he was outstanding. Not only from a perspective of goal kicking, but also he did so many of the hard things that go unrewarded on the stats sheet. His chasing was as good as anyone's and caused many a turnover.

Very good player IMO.

D. Motlop 10th in 2007 B&F on only 14 h&a games. If that's underperforming, he must really be Superman! Can't wait to see him lift this year!

It's 'cause hes black.

The thing about Marlon is he doesn't have brain farts like Peter. Everything he does is well thought trough. If I was comparing Marlon to anyone it would probably be Andrew McLeod, he is very cool under pressure and his running style is more of a stride than a sprint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about Marlon is he doesn't have brain farts like Peter.....
I was going to say 'Who does?' but decided it was a cheap line. Peter hasn't done anything really silly for a long while. He does try a few things his body is no longer quite fast enough to do, but many players do that late in their career.
Let's see Marlon in action for a couple of years before we rate him better than Peter.

The thing about Marlon is he doesn't have brain farts like Peter.
I bet if I bookmark this quote, I will have something to throw back at you for the rest of Marlon's career.

Are we officially calling him Fish yet?

I reckon that's a fair (and refreshingly honest) comment.
I'm not so sure. Between the St Kilda game in 2006 and his recent GF no-show Daniel has done some pretty amazing things in games. I used to have a crack at him at every chance but even I lay off now.

How many Port games have you actually watched? Just wondering what you're basing that opinion on. TV 5 second highlights in the news or a more detailed review of Port matches.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Motlop. I had grave doubts over him, but he's been good for us thus far.

How many Port games have you actually watched? Just wondering what you're basing that opinion on. TV 5 second highlights in the news or a more detailed review of Port matches.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Motlop. I had grave doubts over him, but he's been good for us thus far.

He has been good, particularly the 07 season. He had some absolutely brilliant games such as up at the Gabba. He's managed to decrease the gap between his good and bad games, and he'll be looking at increasing his consistency this year as well, hopefully he has an injury free 08 season. If he does, hes capable of 50 plus goals.

Refreshingly honest - give me a break. The majority of Port supporters give Motlop fair and reasonable credit for his performances - so why do you see a need to agree with someone who has an obvious bias against Motlop.

All you do when you come on here is to make little snide comments - we can do without those - go and reflect in your glory somewhere else.

Refreshingly honest - give me a break. The majority of Port supporters give Motlop fair and reasonable credit for his performances - so why do you see a need to agree with someone who has an obvious bias against Motlop.

All you do when you come on here is to make little snide comments - we can do without those - go and reflect in your glory somewhere else.
But the majority of Port supporters I know shudder when ever he gets near the ball.(Wasn't much shudddering in the GF mind you:mad:)
You say I have a bias against Motlop?
Not because of his race or skin colour like you might be referring to :mad:
But over his over hyped and underperformance football.
I said the same about Brett Ebert before last year but he pulled his finger out and played very well.
Except for the GF mind you .But he was carrying a groin injury apparently?
The same groin injury didn't slow Paul Chapman down too much though as I thought he should have won the Norm Smith.

Toots, you should've used MMVIII as the year in the topic headline.

...But over his over hyped and underperformance football.
I said the same about Brett Ebert before last year but he pulled his finger out and played very well....
If you're prepared to give Brett credit for last season then surely you should be prepared to do the same with Mots. :)

Ebo played seven more games than Motlop but taking that into account Daniels stats compare pretty well with Brett who had a terrific season.

Ebert 11.4 disposals per game, Motlop 9.5. Ebert 5.12 marks per game, Motlop 3.8. Ebert 2.24 goals per game, Motlop 2.4. Ebert 1.6 tackles per game, Motlop 2.2.

I don't know whether Motlop is overhyped in the territory (from what you're saying any locally produced player up there gets a fair bit of coverage) but I reckon Mots has had to win over the posters on this board and last year's performance has got a fair few people giving him more credit than when he first arrived.

My default position with Port players is to wish them well because they are with the club I support but I don't wear rose coloured glasses. I can think of a few Motlop clangers but not too many from last year and I reckon that along with some of the stunningly brilliant things he did last year he also put in the hard yards and got his hands dirty as shown by his tackling stats. IMO what we've seen of Mots is that he not only has the ability to perform the incredible at times but he is also very much a team player and thats the main reason I've warmed to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Marvellous Marlon May Motor in Midfield in 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back