Maryborough Castlemaine District FL (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news for Dunolly if they have managed to pick a few more up. I'd imagine that will shoot them up the ladder a little higher. Guess we will have to wait and see how they are suited to MCDFL football though as you would think its a lot different to the level they are used too.

On other news how are everyones ground looking for round one. Word coming out of a league meeting was there are very few that will pass for the commencement of the year.

I have heard that one but he does have a contract with North Adelaide and is expected to play with the NTFL Thunder over the dry season so it makes it pretty hard to get him to sign. His dad is the one pushing the link with James and Dunolly though.

We're wrapped with Karpany and Matz signing.

Good news for Dunolly! Where is Stew Sutherland playing? Otway, Rokewood or Dunolly??

Talbot's ground is looking a real treat.......... Not. We played at Calivil last weekend and their oval was a treat to play on!

Good news for Dunolly! Where is Stew Sutherland playing? Otway, Rokewood or Dunolly??

Talbot's ground is looking a real treat.......... Not. We played at Calivil last weekend and their oval was a treat to play on!

Stew is set to play in the QAFL with his brother when we spoke to him last.

Yeah Dunolly got sick of fishing in the local recruiting pond as it just turns into a bidding war which we will never win.

Dunolly has developed a link with the Wanderers Eagles for 2009 and beyond. Co-coach James McNamee played 6 home and away games with them and is still up there as they have come from 4th to a Grand Final berth this weekend. He's been playing well for them netting 8 votes (top 10) in the League B&F out of a HFF/On ball position.

The Wanderers have enjoyed James, Stew Sutherland and a bunch of other guys going up from Vic and playing for them this year and want to keep it going. Hence, they have put James in charge of their recruiting from central Vic for the 2009/10 season.

Obviously this has benefits to both Dunolly and the Wanderers, and James will return for them next season with the likes of Lachy Liddicoat, Kyle Lierich and anyone in this local area wanting to play at a higher level and develop as a footballer over the summer.

The Wanderers will in turn send a few players down to play at Dunolly for the winter months.

Luckily enough we have signed both Tim Karpany and Ash Matz from the Wanderers senior team. Both are midfielders that will be exciting footballers. They will bring people through the gate and general interest in the Club.

Karpany is a veteran player with 5 flags under his belt. 1 being a SANFL and another one he won in Cairns after the siren from 35 out and 5 points down. He has also won a League B&F in the NTFL so we should be able to find a spot for him in our team.

Matz is a younger player who played SANFL and NTFL seniors at the age of 16. I really don't know too much about him other than what I have seen and read but it will be like the rest of the league, wait and see.

The Wanderers connection will be great for our club even if we didn't get any footballers off them as we can send ours up there and they can try their hand at the State level and get that experience under their belt.

James will be recruiting in the local area for next NTFL season so anyone interested should contact him and he will tee it all up. Great experience for the ambitious footballer.

That's great news for Dunolly. James should be congratulated for his initiative. But what will that do to the long term sustainability of Dunolly?
I appreciate that they were in a position where they needed to recruit from outside the area to get back to a competitive level, but is this strategy viable long term for the club? Building the juniors is the key to long term viability, although I'm sure that having a more than competitive side that this will help. If and when James leaves in 1, 2 or 3 years will the club be back to a settled environment where they can remain competitive?
I hope so. Will be great for the league to have more high profile players coming.

That's great news for Dunolly. James should be congratulated for his initiative. But what will that do to the long term sustainability of Dunolly?
I appreciate that they were in a position where they needed to recruit from outside the area to get back to a competitive level, but is this strategy viable long term for the club? Building the juniors is the key to long term viability, although I'm sure that having a more than competitive side that this will help. If and when James leaves in 1, 2 or 3 years will the club be back to a settled environment where they can remain competitive?
I hope so. Will be great for the league to have more high profile players coming.

As said in the previous post. This is hopefully the start of a long term relationship with the Wanderers and Dunolly. We are realistic and know that there are not 50 guys aged 16-40 in the Dunolly area willing to play footy. We recruit like everyone else does and we are lucky to have a pool of players now that nobody in this league has access to.

If it was purely $$$ they were after, they would go to an O&M club or GVFL. They are interested because they are Wanderers through and through and can see the benefits for their home club.

Also, take a look at where Dunolly has been for the past 5 years. The direction of the club has not looked brighter and I find it frustrating that people will question this initiative as a long term viable option because what has been the outlook for Dunolly since 2003? Bleak at best.

To go from a club that was having trouble even getting people to answer the phone last year, to signing players from an elite level is a credit to the club and to put your question into a one line answer...

The very goal of this partnership is long term viability for Wanderers and Dunolly.

On the topic of juniors; take a look at Liddicoat, Lierich, Mottram, Styles and Perry Turner. They are future stars of this league and every single one of them would develop even more with a month up in Darwin which we can now provide with great ease.

A more concerning fact for Dunolly is the 12 we have ready to play this year and the fact that there are simply no junior boys in the local area. We can crow on about junior development being the key but if there are simply no juniors in the area, what is there to develop?

There are only positives for this arrangement for the League and the Club. But it is always going to be questioned and knocked. All I can say is give it time and make a judgement call then. As we will be doing.

I apologise if you think my comment were to affend Dunolly. I was just asking about the future of the club with this type of agreement, but you have now explained this. Good luck

I apologise if you think my comment were to affend Dunolly. I was just asking about the future of the club with this type of agreement, but you have now explained this. Good luck

Sorry if I came off that way. I just thought I best explain it like I did as it will be a common theme. With any footy club you can't do hard work for one year and ensure long term safety and success. You have to reload each year and do it all again. Dunolly, like any club, needs to find a system that works for it like teams like Brook and Harcourt have had.

We might have gone with an option many teams would not have even considered but we don't want to be one of the Clubs that will fold over the next decade.

Thanks but on Dean Watson if he plays up forward all year he will kick a ton And if the big axe get's fit they look unbeatable . just on dunolly they need to recruit 5 to 10 top senior players to be given any chance. can't wait to get the show on the road.:eek:

Thanks but on Dean Watson if he plays up forward all year he will kick a ton And if the big axe get's fit they look unbeatable . just on dunolly they need to recruit 5 to 10 top senior players to be given any chance. can't wait to get the show on the road.:eek:

Fairly informative post's there boo hoo, big call thou to be unbeatable, it is only march, but you could be right boo. I suppose all will be clearer after the completion of the first round and we have all seen each other once. On Dunolly, i think they should get a big pat on the back for there initiative, seems like a fairly smart thing to do, i think some would agree the talent in this league is sometimes very much over payed. If Joe Blow is worth $100 that must make me worth $150 as he's not as good as me, seems to be statement most used by players.

No wonder Talbot’s ground is not looking too good at the moment if the watering system on the front page of today’s addy is what they are using.
:):)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're talking about Shannon Motlop but as JD says above it is not true

Yeah we've all heard it and the whole thing has blown out of proportion.

If you want a definite answer, buy the Maryborough Advertiser, Bendigo Advertiser or the Ballarat Courier this Friday. If it's on the back page, then Dunolly have Motlop. If it is not, then they have an article 3 or 4 pages deep about the other guys coming from Wanderers.

how did Dunolly fair against Serpentine in there prac match on the weekend???

Lost by a few goals but from all reports it was a good hit out despite the amount of people out.

This weekend against Inglewood will be a better indication as it will be close to a full strength side without the Wanderers boys.

Have any other practice matches been played yet, and who has one coming up this weekend (and who against)?? Newstead are playing Newbridge in 1's 2's and under 17's this Saturday at Newstead Footy Ground.

Anyone hear anything about C Creek playing Castlemaine super-rules last Sunday...

thats about there grade
Have any other practice matches been played yet, and who has one coming up this weekend (and who against)?? Newstead are playing Newbridge in 1's 2's and under 17's this Saturday at Newstead Footy Ground.

Anyone hear anything about C Creek playing Castlemaine super-rules last Sunday...

Yeah we've all heard it and the whole thing has blown out of proportion.

If you want a definite answer, buy the Maryborough Advertiser, Bendigo Advertiser or the Ballarat Courier this Friday. If it's on the back page, then Dunolly have Motlop. If it is not, then they have an article 3 or 4 pages deep about the other guys coming from Wanderers.

No need to wait until Friday; it's on the back page of todays Bendigo Advertiser.

well what a recruit dunolly has managed to pull off. maybe the worst kept secret going around but it should not only improve dunolly on the field but improve the standard of the league with players such as motlop coming in to it

Believe that story when Motlop lines up. I bet he will be excited when he sees ground and facilities. If it comes off good luck to dunolly but it smells of short term money spending with little long term gain

Believe that story when Motlop lines up. I bet he will be excited when he sees ground and facilities. If it comes off good luck to dunolly but it smells of short term money spending with little long term gain

Didn't take long for the stone throwers to come out and fair enough. Time will tell if he comes and time will tell whether the Wanderers and Dunolly can form a long term relationship. James has committed to going back to the Wanderers and has a few handy recruits keen to line up for them in 2009/10. We're doing our end of the bargain, Shannon plans to do his. That is all that can be said.

I am of the belief that short term gain is paying the crazy sums of money locals are asking us for. You would all see this year after year and the prices are getting higher. To me, that is a massive concern because very average footballers are getting $150+ a week at various destinations. If you don't pay it, they'll get it somewhere else.

We've actually got a good guideline as to how we pay players. If you turn up at our club asking for cash, we'll show you the criteria and you will be able to work out exactly how much you are worth to Dunolly and what you have to do to get that.

We are all about Dunolly being here in 10 years time and a cabinet full of silverware would be a bonus. We're not looking past round 1 from a football point of view, but from a club point of view it is long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad