Maryborough Castlemaine District FL (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any more reports from the weekends games?

Talbot had more scoring shots against Brook Sherman but seemed to be out of it most of the second half according to the quarter by quarter score. Where did you fall down?? Matt Bond kicked 8, with still apparently not much support up there. How did Prickles fare in his first hit out?

Good to see Bushy get a win up. Newstead continue to impress.... but unfortunately close defeats dont get you four points and these results could come back to bite at the business end of the year.

Harcourt and Rovers looked to be a reasonable game. Will Harcourt still be a force in this years finals series?

Being so early in the season and with so many new players... would have it been perhaps a good idea for the clubs to nominate their 6 best performed players thus far?? Seems a few new players from a few clubs have been overlooked, even though they have featured in the best regularly. Have the coaches/selectors chosen this squad?? In saying that, you will always get arguments and conjecture.

Great squad though and if most make themselves available they should acquit themselves very well!

I think you will find Rich that even though a sqaud has been selected by the coaching staff each club was also sent and email asking if there were any other possibles that they would like to add. Same has gone on for the junior squads. I think that the squads can be added to over the coming weeks if such players have been missed. So hopefully everyone is covered. :thumbsu:

Any more reports from the weekends games?

Talbot had more scoring shots against Brook Sherman but seemed to be out of it most of the second half according to the quarter by quarter score. Where did you fall down?? Matt Bond kicked 8, with still apparently not much support up there. How did Prickles fare in his first hit out?

Good to see Bushy get a win up. Newstead continue to impress.... but unfortunately close defeats dont get you four points and these results could come back to bite at the business end of the year.

Harcourt and Rovers looked to be a reasonable game. Will Harcourt still be a force in this years finals series?

Yeah was a disappointing loss kingrich no doubt, we put ourself in a position to win it at quarter time but then just seemed to fall away, we let brook get loose and get first hands on the footy around the ground. We managed to stay in touch all game however and got it back to 3 points late on the last quarter , we had our chance to get in front but missed and brook went down the other end and goaled. Brook are still a very good side and use each other exceptionally well, this is their biggest stenght i feel, their confidence to use each other. We showed we will be a good side this year , but with quality players missing and poor use of the football we were not good enough on the day.

Thats a fair point thekid, was just trying to generate some discussion thats all.

Yeah it is a big list but it gives alot of players from different club a chance to prove themselves. I would also assume that some players wont play due to injury or would just rather the week off to rest.

Have lexton plains got a list up yet thekid?, how do u reckon the MCDFL will shape up compared to ur league.
Believe slection was done in the last day or too Sherman, so look for some squads to be named (probably in the courier) in the next day or 2, once they've contacted the players by phone I'm assuming. I know the u/19 squad was selected last night.

Definitely agree its a great honour to be selected to train for an interleague squad, and for sure all the sentiments mentioned above here I would echo. I would assume maybe 10-15 of those players might be unavailable for varying reasons? Training will be very interesting assuming they all show up, tough to accommodate giving 60 blokes a decent kick, it'd wanna be a big oval to find enough space on the ground

Bit disappointed not to see Dunollys favourite son C. Burn excluded from interleague representation. Is in career best form, but word around town is he may be potentially dropped due to offield issue's and indiscreations.

Bit disappointed not to see Dunollys favourite son C. Burn excluded from interleague representation. Is in career best form, but word around town is he may be potentially dropped due to offield issue's and indiscreations.

craig was offerd a gig in the team but turned it down due 2 wrk comitments. can play

Looking ahead at this weeks round of matches there doesn't seem to be so many of the evenly matched sides going at it as we have had so far this year... This will give a bit of respite for some of the improved sides that have had tough draws so far to begin 09.

Avoca v Royal Park - Avoca were awesome when they got going in the middle last week (Field is a freak) and will smash Bushy who would have been glad to get the points against Creek.

Maldon v Dunolly - Maldon are blitzing at the moment but have not played any sides that would be of the calibre of what they will be up against this week. Whether Motlop is in or not, Dunolly should get the chocolates in what should be closest of the round

Creek v Brook - People have written Brook off at thier own peril!!! All the talk has been about Talbot, Dunolly, Avoca etc but they are quietly going about knocking these sides off. It will take a bloody good team to beat them this year, which Creek are NOT!!!

Rovers v Talbot - Rovers don't seem to have done too much in the off season and Talbot have looked pretty good so with the kid Bond killing it at the minute they will be too good.

Newstead v Trentham - Newstead have had a tough start to the year and could have beaten 2 very good sides if not for fadeouts during the games... reality is that they haven't and would be looking to have a big win against a depleted side that is Trentham and open the account for the year on Saturday.

Have to agree with those selections will be interesting to see where Maldon is at considering their loss of several players from last years list. By all accounts they have filled the gaps with some exciting youngsters and a couple of experienced recruits, would think that they are a possibility to make finals but time will tell.

Yeah was a disappointing loss kingrich no doubt, we put ourself in a position to win it at quarter time but then just seemed to fall away, we let brook get loose and get first hands on the footy around the ground. We managed to stay in touch all game however and got it back to 3 points late on the last quarter , we had our chance to get in front but missed and brook went down the other end and goaled. Brook are still a very good side and use each other exceptionally well, this is their biggest stenght i feel, their confidence to use each other. We showed we will be a good side this year , but with quality players missing and poor use of the football we were not good enough on the day.
how is the axe and macca going at talbot

I think u blokes might need to get ya facts straight before talking about bucket n his interleague chances. Has been struggling a little this season so far. bit hard for him when he is unable to train with the main group all of the time because of his work in melbourne

Avoca v Royal Park - Avoca will be far too strong at home. A good test for the tigers to see if they can remain competitive after a confidence boosting win last week.

Maldon v Dunolly - If Motlop is playing I would pick Dunolly, but I believe he is out, correct me if wrong. Will be a very tight game and I only pick Maldon because of the fact they are a 4-5 goal better side at home. Is a tough ground to learn to play on. Dunolly will be desperate to post their first win and this is a must win for them.

Creek v Brook - I dont think people have written Brook off, they have just not recruited as strongly as others in the off-season, but they didn't really need to. Close results suggest they have slipped back a little, but are still very much the team to beat. Will smash creek.

Rovers v Talbot - This is a game Talbot will expect to and should win. Talbot do have a history of struggling at jubilee oval and if they give Rovers a sniff early, could be in for a tough day. The key to stopping Talbot is shutting down Bond up forward and if they can do this, it will go a long way to victory. I expect Talbot to win comfortably though.

Newstead v Trentham - The steaders will chalk up a much needed victory at home!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Avoca v Royal Park - Avoca by 60 points more and Pilgrim to kick min 10.

Maldon v Dunolly - Dunolly by 20 points.

Creek v Brook - Brook by 60 points or more.

Rovers v Talbot - Talbot by 60 points or more.

Newstead v Trentham - Newstead by 60 points or more.

As it stands at the moment i think Maldon are an OK team while i think everyone is carried away about Dunolly. They are not as good as people think and will struggle to beat top sides particularly when some of their recruits are not available every week. Dissapointing from a league point of view to again see sides getting beaten by 30 goals plus. Future of Creek and Trentham doesnt look bright

As it stands at the moment i think Maldon are an OK team while i think everyone is carried away about Dunolly. They are not as good as people think and will struggle to beat top sides particularly when some of their recruits are not available every week. Dissapointing from a league point of view to again see sides getting beaten by 30 goals plus. Future of Creek and Trentham doesnt look bright

I believe Dunolly's only player that isn't always available every week is Motlop. To see a whole new side come up against 2 top teams such as Avoca and Carisbrook and to only lose by very small margains is exciting to see.

Dunolly's game against Maldon saw the inclusion of fullback Trevor Ronke and youngsters David Bilton and Thomas Stiles, Motlop did not play. Bilton and Stiles had a huge influence on the game creating plenty of run and movement helping Dunolly hold a solid 5 goal lead throughout majority of the game. Maldon had a late charge and took the lead in the dying minutes but Dunolly came through with the candy.

Dunolly's favortie son C.Burn was on fire across half forward and a late inclusion into the league's interleague side could be seen.

Think the results from the weekend were all as expected apart from the maldon v dunolly game. Good win for the eagles, any team that comes away from Maldon with the points would be happy (regardless of how good or how bad Maldon are this year).

I did not see the whole game, but Maldon came home very strong while Dunolly seemed to fade. Was a good second half to watch, i was told first half fast and scrappy.

Sides would be foolish to underestimate Maldon this year IMO. They still have some more than handy footballers on board on their full forward Kelly seems to give them plenty of confidence to play a direct , long kicking style of footy. Carroll, Cummins , Burchell and Kinross were all good on Saturday and I feel they will give a few sides a shake up especially at home. They came home like a steam train on Saturday against Dunolly and hit the front with four minutes left. Dunolly luckily fought back and pinched the win after leading by 30 points at the last break. I believe Dunolly still have plenty of improvement in them and they will need to if they are going to match the powerhouses consistently.

Sounds like a decent game of footy was played at Jubilee on Saturday also. Only 6 points in it at 3/4 time. Any reports from there?

Sounds like a decent game of footy was played at Jubilee on Saturday also. Only 6 points in it at 3/4 time. Any reports from there?

I think it was actually around 3 goals not sure. Yeah was a pretty good game of football. Rovers were up and about early and kicked away to lead by 2-3 goals at quarter time.

I felt we played well in first quarter just didn't convert, and Rovers did. From then on in i felt we controlled the game but were just wasteful. We led by 20 points at half time.

We kicked 1.7 in the 3rd quarter, couple out on the full and a couple of players had shots on goals but turned the ball over, so we could have easily been up by 7 or more goals at 3 quarter time.

Rovers kicked the first of the last quarter and the game was on but then we steadied to kick away...

Rovers still have a strong team that will be competitive, and they use the ball very well. The Hedger boys were good as usual and hard to stop on that ground. We still have a few to come back in and need to make the most of our opportunities we have kicked poor all year and it cost us against Carisbrook.

We were happy with the result and very pleased to finally get a hold of the Barras - Melbourne Cup.

It's symptomatic of country footy everywhere. Just about every league in the country has 1-3 teams at the bottom of the table that cop a bit of a flogging most weeks. I think we need to keep it in perspective though. Creek have come back from the dead and Trentham almost very nearly went under and they are currently fielding teams in most grades. This is a positive for them. Creek in particular have worked to improve their list this year and have been more competitive until this week.

The league's competitiveness as a whole as improved this year. Most games, aside from those involving the bottom two, are very competitive which we haven't seen for a while.

About time Talbot won that trophy!! Who got the medal?

Your not King Rich , that trophy means alot to alot of blokes at Talbot and we were very very happy to finally get our hands on it.

The Medals went to :

Rovers - Brendan Hedger

Talbot - Matt Smith.

Hope your getting a kick over there in pomie land Woogie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad