Maryborough Castlemaine District FL (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of really interesting games this week in the MCDFL. My tips for this week.

Creek v Dunolly - after a series of tough games Dunolly will be happy to venture over to Creek and dish out a confidence-boosting flogging. 100-200 point win on the cards.

Harcourt v Newstead - I'm tipping Harcourt in a bit of an upset here. Newstead have played good footy this year and Harcourt have been going quietly about their business. Tipping Harcourt at home to get up in a great encounter.

Royal Park v Rovers - Both clubs look forward to this encounter in the 'derby' of Maryborough. Royal Park will fancy their chances of rolling Rovers but I expect Rovers to have too much class all over the field and should win by 5-6 goals.

Talbot v Maldon - Match of the round and a danger game for both sides. Maldon have been in great form until falling to Dunolly by a point last round. Talbot have their share of injury problems and by all reports have not managed to gel together as a team as yet. I expect the game to be close and for Talbot to run away with it in the last half by 4-5 goals. HOPEFULLY!

Trentham v Avoca - Not much to be said. The bulldogs will smash them. Hopefully they showers are hot afterwards for the dogs!

Most results went as expected last week, but there may be a couple of more interesting matches this round so we will have a go at trying to pick a winner i guess...

Creek v Dunolly - A lot is spoken about how Dunolly will go when Motlop is out of the side or in... none of that will matter this week as they should smash a Creek side that is on the improve but still a fair way off at the moment

Harcourt v Newstead - Will be a cracker of a match and fighting with the Maldon v Talbot game for match of the round. Harcourt seem to be cruising along at the moment and still have the foundations of a good side with D Smith, Hutchison, etc and Newstead beat a very young Trentham last week but it would have given them great confidence after a couple of close losses with young gun Culvenor and Ramsay kicking 11 each. Always a bit of feeling in these (as most teams that play Harcourt seem to feel) but I'm tipping the Steaders will be a bit strong up forward and should get up in a close one.

Royal Park v Rovers - You would expect Rovers to be a little bit too good for Bushy in this one... Rovers seem to be at that level just above the Creek, Trentham, Royal Park crew and should win.

Talbot v Maldon - Maldon did very well by all reports last week but it was thier first real test for the season and would be dissapointed to have dropped one at home... Talbot have looked pretty good so far in the first few rounds and should be a little too strong all over the ground for the Dons this week (especially at the expanses of the caraven Park).

Trentham v Avoca - The only thing that will determine the scoreline here is the weather... Trentham would be praying for rain and buckets of it to make the scoreline repectable this week!!!!! Credit to the young Trentham side, a lot of kids last week but they never got cranky and resorted to doing anything stupid they just tried and tried and that is all you can ask of them - so hopefully the kids stick at it because it can turn around in a season or two, as i'm sure we can all attest to becuase we have all been on the end of a flogging or two i'm sure...

Good post thermometer. Nothing I believe is more unhelpful to struggling clubs than when people question their very exsistence each time they cop a substantial flogging. Most of these clubs have good people working overtime to get them through each season. While this is the case, they have the opportunity to re-build and improve. They deserve the same support from the league and it's followers as every other side. Most clubs have struggled through periods during their time for a variety of reasons and if we all thought they should fold , where would local footy be today??

Make sure you do not head down to Prince's Park tonight to watch Dunolly v Creek. The game was rescheduled early in the season due to unavailability of the facility due to a Council request.

A couple of really interesting games this week in the MCDFL. My tips for this week.

Creek v Dunolly - after a series of tough games Dunolly will be happy to venture over to Creek and dish out a confidence-boosting flogging. 100-200 point win on the cards.

Harcourt v Newstead - I'm tipping Harcourt in a bit of an upset here. Newstead have played good footy this year and Harcourt have been going quietly about their business. Tipping Harcourt at home to get up in a great encounter.

Royal Park v Rovers - Both clubs look forward to this encounter in the 'derby' of Maryborough. Royal Park will fancy their chances of rolling Rovers but I expect Rovers to have too much class all over the field and should win by 5-6 goals.

Talbot v Maldon - Match of the round and a danger game for both sides. Maldon have been in great form until falling to Dunolly by a point last round. Talbot have their share of injury problems and by all reports have not managed to gel together as a team as yet. I expect the game to be close and for Talbot to run away with it in the last half by 4-5 goals. HOPEFULLY!

Trentham v Avoca - Not much to be said. The bulldogs will smash them. Hopefully they showers are hot afterwards for the dogs!

Should be a couple good games this week, and lets hope there arn't the floggings like last week.

Creek v Dunolly , Dunolly to win this by 10 goals or more, the only reason it will be closer is because of the weather factor and a slippery ball.

Harcourt v Newstead , should be a very good game and close all day, Newstead are on the rise and Harcourt have slipped a touch but they have alot of class players in their line up and know how to win a game of football. Harcourt to get up 2 goals because of this.

Royal Park v Rovers , Rovers should get up here by 10 goals i would say, they still move the ball and link up well and will be too slick for the park boys.

Talbot v Maldon , massive game for both teams who have a chance to establish themself as a top 3 team, Maldon look to be covering their loses to an extent and still have some good height around the ground. Had their first real challenge last week and went down, so will be looking to fight back and get on the winners list. Talbot are starting to play better footy now and work as a unit. Couple of handy inclusion for the Hawks this week and i think we can get up by 3-4 goals.

Trentham v Avoca , EXPECT THIS TO GET NASTY FOR THE SAINTS!!!!

Should be a couple good games this week, and lets hope there arn't the floggings like last week.

Creek v Dunolly , Dunolly to win this by 10 goals or more, the only reason it will be closer is because of the weather factor and a slippery ball.

Harcourt v Newstead , should be a very good game and close all day, Newstead are on the rise and Harcourt have slipped a touch but they have alot of class players in their line up and know how to win a game of football. Harcourt to get up 2 goals because of this.

Royal Park v Rovers , Rovers should get up here by 10 goals i would say, they still move the ball and link up well and will be too slick for the park boys.

Talbot v Maldon , massive game for both teams who have a chance to establish themself as a top 3 team, Maldon look to be covering their loses to an extent and still have some good height around the ground. Had their first real challenge last week and went down, so will be looking to fight back and get on the winners list. Talbot are starting to play better footy now and work as a unit. Couple of handy inclusion for the Hawks this week and i think we can get up by 3-4 goals.

Trentham v Avoca , EXPECT THIS TO GET NASTY FOR THE SAINTS!!!!

Who is in Sherman???

watch the last half between Harcourt and Newstead yesterday and was quite impressed the way the steaders played. They look to have alot of young players that are willing to run. Harcourt didnt look that inpressive. they looked to be to slow, I supose thats what happens when you have alot of older players in the team. It also looked like the Harcourt of old, giving away stupid free kicks and at one stage gave away a 100m when they were still in with a slight chance, but to the steaders credit they kept there heads and went on to have a great win at harcourt. D. Smith of harcourt was reported for striking, it was disapointing but when you get old and cant keep up with the young blokes its they only way they can slow the game down. Better players for the steaders were, L Ford, S Webster, M Ramsey and S Timmins.:rolleyes:

watch the last half between Harcourt and Newstead yesterday and was quite impressed the way the steaders played. They look to have alot of young players that are willing to run. Harcourt didnt look that inpressive. they looked to be to slow, I supose thats what happens when you have alot of older players in the team. It also looked like the Harcourt of old, giving away stupid free kicks and at one stage gave away a 100m when they were still in with a slight chance, but to the steaders credit they kept there heads and went on to have a great win at harcourt. D. Smith of harcourt was reported for striking, it was disapointing but when you get old and cant keep up with the young blokes its they only way they can slow the game down. Better players for the steaders were, L Ford, S Webster, M Ramsey and S Timmins.:rolleyes:
Harcourt still have some good players in Giri, Joel Smith and Hutchy, but lacked disipline all day. The young steaders were too quick for them and players like Andy Lovett, Ethan Ford and young Bastin cut them up all day. Ramsey was hard to beat with the supply he had.
the umps were good, first time for the year they were consistant.
Pity to see the late hits back in the league, thought this had dissapeared from the MCDFL. But I suppose when you are past it and cant catch a kid you have to hit them late. But all in all the Steaders had a great day winning all 3 grades of Footy.
Good crowd there as well.

Harcourt still have some good players in Giri, Joel Smith and Hutchy, but lacked disipline all day. The young steaders were too quick for them and players like Andy Lovett, Ethan Ford and young Bastin cut them up all day. Ramsey was hard to beat with the supply he had.
Pity to see the late hits back in the league, thought this had dissapeared from the MCDFL. But I suppose when you are past it and cant catch a kid you have to hit them late. But all in all the Steaders had a great day winning all 3 grades of Footy.
I wouldnt get too carried away about the striking charge on Daniel Smith, i think it resulted from a bit of niggle and frustration and is totally out of character for that player. Put it down to a brain explosion. All in all it was a good game to watch with Newstead taking a half to get running and play the footy they should expect from their team. ethat Ford was exceptional and outside of Ramsey was far and away the dominant player on the day. On the other side of the coin Harcourt missed Trethowans steadying influence whem he went off and it was really only a few of them that got undisciplined as the game progressed. Young Chaplin looked a good strong player for them

I wouldnt get too carried away about the striking charge on Daniel Smith, i think it resulted from a bit of niggle and frustration and is totally out of character for that player. Put it down to a brain explosion. All in all it was a good game to watch with Newstead taking a half to get running and play the footy they should expect from their team. ethat Ford was exceptional and outside of Ramsey was far and away the dominant player on the day. On the other side of the coin Harcourt missed Trethowans steadying influence whem he went off and it was really only a few of them that got undisciplined as the game progressed. Young Chaplin looked a good strong player for them

It shouldnt matter whether its out of character or not, if you intentionally strike someone you should pay the price

Thats what I mean, Trethown breaking down to old, yes hutchy is a good player but from what I saw on saturday he has put a few Kgs on and he is not the damaging player he was a few years ago.

Just looking at the draw to try and establish who will and won't make finals.

So far the 3 definites are; Carisbrook, Avoca and Maldon.

Avoca and Brook will make up the top two positions i would expect. Both off to flyers!

Maldon is not the 3rd best side IMO, it is just that they have the dream run playing Trentham, Creek and Royal Park all twice. HUGE ADVANTAGE!

The next three fighting it out will be Newstead, Dunolly and Talbot. They all have similar runs home so it will be very tight.

Think this year promises to be a cracker!

Fair post Steader... poor form from Harcourt late in the game on Saturday; when they realised the game was slipping away they reverted back into old habbits and out came the "cheap shots" :thumbsdown: It was great to see the young Steaders continue to attack the ball and hurt them where it matters... The scoreboard!!!

Anyone fill us in on the Maldon v Talbot game?? Great effort by the Donners to get the points there.

Were Talbot a little bit off, or have Maldon been prematurely underrated this season??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talbot didn't kick straight again..... this is proving to be a common theme with them this year!

They looked to have a pretty good side in though so no real excuses for Talbot. I'm sure Sherman will give us an update.

Talbot didn't kick straight again..... this is proving to be a common theme with them this year!

They looked to have a pretty good side in though so no real excuses for Talbot. I'm sure Sherman will give us an update.

Yeah was a very disappointing result on weekend especially being Roger Davies 300th seniour game.

Was a game we should have won but Maldon got on a roll in the 3rd term and started to dominate the clearances, they played 10minutes of good footy and took the game away from us.

We were wasteful as usual and just couldnt convert when it counted. Speaking to a couple of Maldon blokes they felt that we were playing above them and had the run of the play most of the day but the results just didnt occur on the scoreboard.

When a bloke kicks 11 of 17 goals your always gonna be against it and was probably the only reason Maldon were still in the contest. His stenght and ability to outmark blokes was a real highlight and unstoppable Maldon pretty much isolated him in the 50m arch and just kicked it up to him and let him do the rest. Kelly isnt a leading forward and very rarily took a mark on the lead, he is more of a wrestler who protects the space. Teams are going to have to shut him down if they are to beat Maldon.

The next two weeks are crucial for us as we have Avoca and Harcourt, if we cant start to convert and use the footy better then we will be fighting it out for a top 5 spot all year.

Pretty good sum up of Maldon there Sherman. They are still a fairly handy side.
Christian Kelly is a hard man to match up on and we were pretty forunate that Trevor Ronke was able to do the job in shutting him down.
I odnt think he likes it when his opponent has a height advantage on him.
Talbot would be disappointed with the result and especially disappointed in a milestone game for 1 of there favourite sons.
Well Done to Rodger on 300 and hope he is able to reach his next milestone in the not to distant future.

The next two weeks are crucial for us as we have Avoca and Harcourt, if we cant start to convert and use the footy better then we will be fighting it out for a top 5 spot all year.

You are not on your own there. 2009 is shaping up to be the season of missed opportunities. One or two unexpected losses along the way and it makes getting into the 5 a tough ask.

It's shaping to be an exciting season for the teams in the finals race :thumbsu:

I hope everyone selected gets to interleague training and does the league justice against the LPFL.

Didn't realise it was Roger's 300th senior game. Congratulations to Roger on a fantastic achievement. Hard but fair footballer who is universally respected around the league. Talbot has made a nasty habit of dropping milestone games over the last couple of years unfortunately!

Def a big 2 weeks for Talbot. 2 wins would be ideal but if they fail to win either of the 2 it will make it very difficult for them to make the 5 all of a sudden I would think.

Who played on Kelly for most of the day Sherman?

Its that time of the week where we start to "peruse" over the games ahead I guess... There are a couple of crackers coming up against potential finalists so lets see if we can't pick a couple of winners.

Carisbrook v Maldon - Maldon have suprised a lot of people how well they have gone so far I'm sure, loosing players such as Brown, Bell, W Burchell, Lea and a couple of Crappers would have made us assume they may drop off but S Burchell, 2 Carrolls and the guy up forward have got them over the line a couple of times. I think Brook will win this one by a few goals, and also am not sure Maldon can keep playing at this intense rate all season and expect them to drop a few against the Avoca's, Brooks, etc.

Dunolly v Rovers - Dunolly have continued to impress with some well documented recruiting, and they should get over Rovers reasonably comfortably.

Newstead v Royal Park - Newstead will be happy to get back home on their lush surrounds after managing to take the points against a pretty physical Harcourt last week. The young guys are really showing the way this season with their running game, and with Ramsay to kick another bag this week (21 in last 2 weeks) the Steaders should have a good win.

Talbot v Avoca - Avoca have been travelling along beautifully so far this season, with their midfield taking all before them and pumping some great ball into Pilgrim... Talbot on the other hand seem to have showed glimpses but have been a little inconsistent, stealing the points against Newstead and going down in a close one to Maldon. Avoca should win this one, but i'm not overly confidant and would not be suprised to see Talbot back on the winners list this week.

Trentham v Harcourt - Poor Trentham will put in an effort i'm sure but the Harcourt class should show through and they will record a big win one would think.

When a bloke kicks 11 of 17 goals your always gonna be against it and was probably the only reason Maldon were still in the contest. His stenght and ability to outmark blokes was a real highlight and unstoppable Maldon pretty much isolated him in the 50m arch and just kicked it up to him and let him do the rest. Kelly isnt a leading forward and very rarily took a mark on the lead, he is more of a wrestler who protects the space. Teams are going to have to shut him down if they are to beat Maldon.

Utilizing a defender who can read the play well enough to zone off his player and come 3rd man up in the contest to spoil would go a long way to solving this headache Sherm

Utilizing a defender who can read the play well enough to zone off his player and come 3rd man up in the contest to spoil would go a long way to solving this headache Sherm

Very true thekid, but i aint the coach..im sure that this will be looked at next time.

As for you Kingrich, we tried atleast 4 blokes on him.

Its that time of the week where we start to "peruse" over the games ahead I guess... There are a couple of crackers coming up against potential finalists so lets see if we can't pick a couple of winners.

Carisbrook v Maldon - Maldon have suprised a lot of people how well they have gone so far I'm sure, loosing players such as Brown, Bell, W Burchell, Lea and a couple of Crappers would have made us assume they may drop off but S Burchell, 2 Carrolls and the guy up forward have got them over the line a couple of times. I think Brook will win this one by a few goals, and also am not sure Maldon can keep playing at this intense rate all season and expect them to drop a few against the Avoca's, Brooks, etc.

Dunolly v Rovers - Dunolly have continued to impress with some well documented recruiting, and they should get over Rovers reasonably comfortably.

Newstead v Royal Park - Newstead will be happy to get back home on their lush surrounds after managing to take the points against a pretty physical Harcourt last week. The young guys are really showing the way this season with their running game, and with Ramsay to kick another bag this week (21 in last 2 weeks) the Steaders should have a good win.

Talbot v Avoca - Avoca have been travelling along beautifully so far this season, with their midfield taking all before them and pumping some great ball into Pilgrim... Talbot on the other hand seem to have showed glimpses but have been a little inconsistent, stealing the points against Newstead and going down in a close one to Maldon. Avoca should win this one, but i'm not overly confidant and would not be suprised to see Talbot back on the winners list this week.

Trentham v Harcourt - Poor Trentham will put in an effort i'm sure but the Harcourt class should show through and they will record a big win one would think.
Cant argue with any of these predictions, although Avoca may find the lush grass at the caravan park a bit HARD to handle Maldon still have players with grass burns from last week. They should still have a little too much run for the Hawks though. Talbot may have the height edge around the ground although the will need to cover Pilgrim as if he has enough ball delivered well he will kick straight. Avoca will have the same issue with Bond so it should be a battle to see who can cover the opposition forwards the best and then which midfeild is more productive.

Carisbrook and Maldon should be a good game and while I would expect Carisbrook to win it wouldnt suprise if Maldon got up. They have played well so far and its a matter of if the smaller running players can match it physically with the Brook to give Kelly enough oppotunities to kick a winning score. If the Brook can hold him then they should win easily.

Trentham and Harcourt might be a lot closer than most think. Harcourt normally dont travel to the snowfields well and might find that they will take a wile to shake the saints off. But Harcourt should get up.

Dunolly and Rovers is an interesting one, Rovers have pushed most sides and have some good tall forwards, whilst Dunolly have looked good when at full strength. This is dependent on who is in for the Eagles, if all their imports play they should win but if some of them are still in darwin then the Rovers may suprise.

Newstead and Royal Park on paper should be an easy one for the Roo's but you know what you wipe with paper dont you! Busy have played some better footy in the past couple of weeks and although Newstead wone easily last week they have a couple out. Being at Newstead should help along with the return of Danny Baker after tearing his Hammy in 8 places apparently. Etham Ford has burnt in every game and its always handy having Oxley around the ground so the Steaders should get up.

Carisbrook v Maldon - Brook at home. Still not convinced Maldon are upto Avoca and Carisbrook at this stage of the year who are clearly the two teams to beat at this stage.

Dunolly v Rovers - Sorry Dunolly boys. Dunolly will go in as favourites but I am tipping an upset. Rovers are always thereabouts and I reckon their experience might get them over the line in this one.

Newstead v Royal Park - No comment necessary. Royal Park have been disappointing thus far.

Talbot v Avoca - Hoping Talbot wins and they are certainly capable of doing it. I still think Talbot have the cattle and hopefully they can improve as the year goes on. Getting a fully fit Prickles back in a couple of weeks will certainly help them. Avoca on form should get home in a tight contest in front of what is normally a big crowd. Go Hawks!

Trentham v Harcourt - Too good

I agree that Daniel Smith is a very fair player on the field and a great bloke off it. But over the last 2-3 years I have seen him do a couple of ordinary things on the field out of frustration with poor individual/team form and injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad