Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

I repeat- had he said he was a big fan of Trump and a Hillary hater I can assure you our media would have been all over it as would many Collingwood fans. Because he is siding with the politically correct, popular choice in media and entertainment circles his political preference has become a badge of honour.

Politics and religion are no go areas for many people because they are divisive. That is why celebrities who wish to maintain their fan base and not split it, should keep their views to themselves or private conversations with friends. Eddie McGuire's endless bagging of Trump and his supporters each morning on Triple M was sickening. His branding of Trump as a racist and misogynist was quite ironic given that is exactly what the media here has branded McGuire.

And this all matters to how our team performs on the field exactly how? Does Cox perform at a lower standard because he expressed an opinion on Trump?

Politics and religion are no go areas for many people because they are divisive. That is why celebrities who wish to maintain their fan base and not split it, should keep their views to themselves or private conversations with friends. Eddie McGuire's endless bagging of Trump and his supporters each morning on Triple M was sickening. His branding of Trump as a racist and misogynist was quite ironic given that is exactly what the media here has branded McGuire.
Eddie is one 'celebrity' who should keep his mouth shut.

And this all matters to how our team performs on the field exactly how? Does Cox perform at a lower standard because he expressed an opinion on Trump?

It has no effect on the team's performance whatsoever.

If we are going to be supportive of political commentary from our footballers (we already have a leftist agenda rammed down our throats by the AFL) then I hope Gillan will allow footballers who oppose gay marriage or the gay lifestyle to speak openly about their opposition and refuse to wear the rainbow colours two teams wore this year in support of a political stance. You see what a Pandora's box we open? You know such opposition to gay rights would cause mark Robinson, Mike Sheehan and the AFL heavies to come down upon any dissenters like a ton of bricks. This is the double standard I abhor.

If we are going to be supportive of political commentary from our footballers (we already have a leftist agenda rammed down our throats by the AFL) then I hope Gillan will allow footballers who oppose gay marriage or the gay lifestyle to speak openly about their opposition and refuse to wear the rainbow colours two teams wore this year in support of a political stance. You see what a Pandora's box we open? You know such opposition to gay rights would cause mark Robinson, Mike Sheehan and the AFL heavies to come down upon any dissenters like a ton of bricks. This is the double standard I abhor.

People in favour of gay rights once upon a time had to brave social marginalisation and often police interference because of their beliefs and simply because of their sexuality. If there are footballers who oppose gay rights, then I'm sure the courage of their convictions will see them spout their dearly-held views. If not, then maybe their views on such things just aren't that passionate.

I repeat- had he said he was a big fan of Trump and a Hillary hater I can assure you our media would have been all over it as would many Collingwood fans. Because he is siding with the politically correct, popular choice in media and entertainment circles his political preference has become a badge of honour.

There is correctness in your post.
He would have been slammed dunked had he dare say he was a republican voter ie Trump voter.
Better to keep quiet and just play the game.
Interesting point you raised.

Because of course maintaining a fan base is the most important thing ever!

If the bolded is in fact true then I commend any celebrity willing to risk their fan base in order to speak up on what they feel is a higher principle. I doubt it is true though. Melbourne is basically Australia's New York and Trump is pretty much unelectable in this country other than perhaps QLD after a recession. I doubt Ed is risking too much here.

This discussion is interesting though because we seem to have hit the other side of "political correctness". Why is it not ok for people/celebrities in the media to not voice their personal opinions about Trump/the US election/ religion etc? Surely that is as pernicious a form of "political correctness" as the usual stuff spouted out about aboriginals, muslims etc that you hear from the other side.
People can say what they want,when they want.
Freedom of speech and all that.
Sometimes if the line crossed is different from the orthodox there may feel back lash.
Each person can decide which way they go.

Eg Hollywood. Generally speaking they tend to be of the left, if they arnt they tend to just shut up.
The bigger stars who are of the right might speak out but it's known in Hollywood that being of the right can affect role selection.
Not judging, just saying what's the Hollywood perception.

It would be politically incorrect for footballers to campaign against gays and gay marriage. But wait ... isn't the reaction against political correctness one of the reasons Trump won the election?

It would be politically incorrect for footballers to campaign against gays and gay marriage. But wait ... isn't the reaction against political correctness one of the reasons Trump won the election?
We live strange lives, we the species known as humans

There is correctness in your post.
He would have been slammed dunked had he dare say he was a republican voter ie Trump voter.
Better to keep quiet and just play the game.
Interesting point you raised.
This is the problem with a lot of people who complain about political correctness. They think that freedom of speech = freedom from criticism.

This is the problem with a lot of people who complain about political correctness. They think that freedom of speech = freedom from criticism.
Good point. You may be free to say what you want but if what you say is clearly stupid or clearly racist or clearly bigoted then I have the right to call you on your stupidity, racism or bigotry. And if everyone is shouting you down it may not be about political correctness, it may just be that what you are saying is abhorrently offensive.

Good point.
On all sides of speech, freedom implies if there is criticism so be it.

The prickly conundrum is how far is too far...

Another discussion....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good point. You may be free to say what you want but if what you say is clearly stupid or clearly racist or clearly bigoted then I have the right to call you on your stupidity, racism or bigotry. And if everyone is shouting you down it may not be about political correctness, it may just be that what you are saying is abhorrently offensive.
All true.
Likewise if one is shouted down by the masses because it does not fit into the orthodoxy, one can in turn rile against that.

Good point.
On all sides of speech, freedom implies if there is criticism so be it.

The prickly conundrum is how far is too far...

Another discussion....
Freesom of speech means that everyone is entitled to my opinion :)

all this over a young man who is a american still, saying what most on here would agree with.
really interesting times we live in

Such accusations are rarely supported by the evidence. They are simply slurs used to shame a person into silence.

I like Mason. He's really important to us. He's arguably our second best key forward as it stands. An important position and big responsibility for someone so green to the game. Oh wait, am I supposed to be talking about football in here...... ?

I like Mason. He's really important to us. He's arguably our second best key forward as it stands. An important position and big responsibility for someone so green to the game. Oh wait, am I supposed to be talking about football in here...... ?

That shows our Lack of Quality at the KPF Postion. Yes Moore looks like a Beauty but does not get much Help

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back