Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

I keep telling the doubters= best 23 every day of the week. What in the name of God does he or Noble have to do before some people concede they might offer us something?

Cox played a position that is traditionally a dominant/showtime roll that brings with it the expectation of big marks, big kicks, and lots of scoreboard action. Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, etc.

I think any time you have a player who gets mentioned as often as Cox does, as a full/key forward, that player is expected to kick 5-8 a game off 15 disposals with 4-5 contested marks.

Now that Cox is somewhere between ruckman and forward he doesn't have to be that guy anymore, and if he can keep the hitouts close and pick up a goal or two he's a valuable member of the team. The problem is some "supporters" still want and expect him to be a gun key forward... except for a select handful of games in his career, he isn't that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's still early but Cox looks better in the ruck, around the ground and up forward than Cameron.
Agree. Though how they use Cox and Cameron I think will vary depending on who we're facing. Cameron rucked more last night I reckon based on Stanley and Blicavs being more mobile. But expect Cox to do more of the ruck work in Rounds 2 and 3 against Lycett and Nankervis respectively.

On the flipside, it feels like Cox also offers more up forward as well. He has the ability to make defenders nervous with his size and can help take heat off McStay and Mihochek. Plus being a good shot at goal helps.

Last night is a great example of not having huge amounts of the footy, but making sure you have impact when you get it.

Big risk for Melbourne as Gawn is an ordinary forward and Grundy is worse, so how to manage the resting ruckman. That’s a gold plated interchange bench they’ll be sharing
I feel like they can sit Gawn CHB and Grundy HFF and ruck half the ground each maybe. Not sure it'll work but it's a juicy possibility.

We've been fitter than then fir years, and despite Grundy (endurance god) I think we may have pulled away further this year.

So we can still do Ricky I soak up punches and snap back late each q and over run in the last.

You need moral fibre to play that way, we had some under Bucks most years, and McRae has added more, especially with come from behind wins.

Very expensive experiment.
They went decades without a flag, they assembled Petracca, Oliver, May and Gawn and they want to squeeze at least one more flag out of that pretty awesome core.

They are a favourites as they were last year for good reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back