Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

I could have strangled Cox with his low hanging testicles when he dropped that rather straightforward mark 20 out late in the game yesterday.

Just be thankful it didn't cost us in the end.

I personally believe he's carrying a bit of a niggle which is really affecting his kicking atm

The bye week will help with that. He'll be back to his set shot best come the first week of finals.

I personally believe he's carrying a bit of a niggle which is really affecting his kicking atm

The bye week will help with that. He'll be back to his set shot best come the first week of finals.
Just watched the Game Highlights on Magpie Website. Mason's kicking seemed fine for his early goal on the run and his athleticism was to the fore with his big leap for his towering mark. McGovern may require a step ladder for upcoming Qualifying Final.

Jeez, found this Cox thread on the third page. Time to bump it up :)

Article today had WHE on Cox: “It’s unreal playing with 'Coxy,'” Hoskin-Elliott said

“He attracts two or three defenders every time he goes for the ball so if you are at his feet or at the contest you are a chance to get the ball.

“You notice it all the time you are running back inside 50 and your man will just sort of slide off and go to his contest but it’s coming to ground so I am not complaining.”

Also while watching some Fox Footy show the other day, they were saying how we had a huge problem with Mihocek being outplayed by McGovern, and highlighting some plays when we lost to WCE where if you put Cox in the same spot, not only does McGovern not get the interception, but Cox probably draws another defender. So between that and Treloar back, I'm quietly confident :)

Also while watching some Fox Footy show the other day, they were saying how we had a huge problem with Mihocek being outplayed by McGovern, and highlighting some plays when we lost to WCE where if you put Cox in the same spot, not only does McGovern not get the interception, but Cox probably draws another defender. So between that and Treloar back, I'm quietly confident :)

They had Goddard and Higgins doing an analysis of the game on The Footy Show last night. They kept talking about McGovern causing problems last time, but failed to mention that we were without Cox. Why do they both analysing games if the don't talk about both sides of the coin?

Losing Cox pre game against the Eagles went a long way towards us losing that match,that and our awful kicking.It also forced Mihocek into being the main banana something very hard to do in only your 4th game.I know most people think we are no chance in this match but I think we may surprise a few.

Losing Cox pre game against the Eagles went a long way towards us losing that match,that and our awful kicking.It also forced Mihocek into being the main banana something very hard to do in only your 4th game.I know most people think we are no chance in this match but I think we may surprise a few.

I can't remember a final series in the modern era like this 1 where I think all 4 games week 1 are all genuinely 50/50 games where an outcome either way won't surprise. Hopefully we see some ripper footy....

...and a Pies win.

We had a few minor injuries as well. Moore with his finger, Sier got injured and I think Langdon had a problem with his knee I think.
If Treloar plays that will be another inclusion along with Cox.
I am pretty confident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't remember a final series in the modern era like this 1 where I think all 4 games week 1 are all genuinely 50/50 games where an outcome either way won't surprise. Hopefully we see some ripper footy....

...and a Pies win.
I’d like our game to be a fizzer for the crowd and walk away with a comfortable 6 goal win.

I’d like our game to be a fizzer for the crowd and walk away with a comfortable 6 goal win.
That will do it, very nicely

4 goals up at quarter time, 6 at half time, 8 at three quarter time, and a few goals to the weagles in junk time to bring it back to 6 at the end will do me.

Oh and no f**king injuries.
There will be melts if we let an 8 goal lead slip to a 6 goal win.

We had a few minor injuries as well. Moore with his finger, Sier got injured and I think Langdon had a problem with his knee I think.
If Treloar plays that will be another inclusion along with Cox.
I am pretty confident.

Didn't Howe leave the ground in the first quarter as well?

Cox is arguably the player most capable of lifting us to a unexpected flag this year.

My thinking is that players like a Pendlebury, Howe or Sidebottom have been operating at close to capacity as players for many years now while the likes of Grundy, de Goey and Hoskin-Elliott have enjoyed breakout seasons already so it's unreasonable to expect even more from them in the coming weeks.

Cox though you sense with his unorthodox pathway to the AFL and the unique problems he presents to the opposition due to his sheer size has greater scope for improvement in the short term than any other player in our 22.

It's a big ask and I'm realistic in my expectations but if he can elevate himself to another level in coming weeks then it'll go a long way of bridging the gap I still see Richmond having over the opposition.

Can he do a Tom Boyd and produce the best game of his career when it really matters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back