Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron attended more ruck contests then Cox most games even in the second half of the season.
Yes, he did - but whenever Mason attended centre bounces we seemed to be less vulnerable to fast break centre clearances. Certainly, we were crying out for Mason to attend centre bounces in that 1st quarter against Sydney. Once he did, the bleeding stopped.

Yes, he did - but whenever Mason attended centre bounces we seemed to be less vulnerable to fast break centre clearances. Certainly, we were crying out for Mason to attend centre bounces in that 1st quarter against Sydney. Once he did, the bleeding stopped.

I think there were definitely som errors made by mccrae late in the season by giving Cameron too much game time and too many starting bounces. Gradually cox got given more tog as they realised the balance was out.

Krueger is just as able to lock the ball in through bullocking work (like we saw later in the prelim) if the Pies start getting smashed in clearances. I would prefer to see Cameron as the main ruckman with Krueger to give the chop out 20%/jumping in when Cameron is getting physically dominated. If Krueger can just lock it in, Mitchell, De Goey and Adams in there with him should be able to do a good enough job of winning contested ball to address our clearance weakness.

I reckon in the 2nd half of the year Cox was the preferred #1 ruckmen

Preferred because he was more effective. Darcy started off well but he finished the season a little bit ordinary. I wonder if Mason thrived on the challenge in the ruck and Darcy was feeling the pressure when we were continually on the back foot because we were losing centre clearances. At this stage, I've got more confidence in Mason to start in the centre. Now that Grundy is gone, the "temporary" arrangements of this year are going to be more permanent, and both will need to stand up. With McStay Kreuger Frampton in the mix and a ruck formation to be more "richmond-like", I dont think Mason and Darcy will be playing seniors together unless the others are a disaster.

Krueger is just as able to lock the ball in through bullocking work (like we saw later in the prelim) if the Pies start getting smashed in clearances. I would prefer to see Cameron as the main ruckman with Krueger to give the chop out 20%/jumping in when Cameron is getting physically dominated. If Krueger can just lock it in, Mitchell, De Goey and Adams in there with him should be able to do a good enough job of winning contested ball to address our clearance weakness.
Krueger looked far too small for that role. I still think Begg is not a ruckman. Kreuger also has an injury prone body and jumping into 205cm 100 kg bodies will place his body under a lot of strain.

Krueger looked far too small for that role. I still think Begg is not a ruckman. Kreuger also has an injury prone body and jumping into 205cm 100 kg bodies will place his body under a lot of strain.

Krueger is also coming off a shoulder reco is he not? Doubt he’ll do any centre square ruck work, he doesn’t know how to protect himself.

Preferred because he was more effective. Darcy started off well but he finished the season a little bit ordinary. I wonder if Mason thrived on the challenge in the ruck and Darcy was feeling the pressure when we were continually on the back foot because we were losing centre clearances. At this stage, I've got more confidence in Mason to start in the centre. Now that Grundy is gone, the "temporary" arrangements of this year are going to be more permanent, and both will need to stand up. With McStay Kreuger Frampton in the mix and a ruck formation to be more "richmond-like", I dont think Mason and Darcy will be playing seniors together unless the others are a disaster.
I think Darcy got worn down as the season went, liked what he gave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he goes into the media after football, he's a rare footballer who is actually very smart and has a sense of humour.
The dude should become a national icon, give him the keys to the city - any will do. If it wasn't for that irish bloke who played for Melbourne he would be the best international recruit ever. What other American can bring a full MCG to its feet? Collingwood should use him to assure we are the most popular club in that god forsaken land, the AFL should use him to help educate the yanks as to what football actually is and the country should use him as an international ambassador. Note this assessment before he plays another two or three years as a gun first ruck. I think his talent would be wasted on the media.

The dude should become a national icon, give him the keys to the city - any will do. If it wasn't for that irish bloke who played for Melbourne he would be the best international recruit ever. What other American can bring a full MCG to its feet? Collingwood should use him to assure we are the most popular club in that god forsaken land, the AFL should use him to help educate the yanks as to what football actually is and the country should use him as an international ambassador. Note this assessment before he plays another two or three years as a gun first ruck. I think his talent would be wasted on the media.
Billy Graham.

Haha, my Dad went to see him. He sold snake oil, Cox sells excitement.
Billy Graham wouldn't allow his daughter to go into nursing, because - women are supposed to stay home and be dutiful. His daughter long resented this. Graham's brand of snake oil did a lot of harm. He should be permanently banned from the MCG, posthumously.

I thought Krueger was easily brushed aside in that Swans game when he went into the ruck. I don't know why so many are wanting to change what was a successful combination. Cox was excellent throughout the last ten weeks. He is still a weapon on his day and can turn the tide of a game as he did against Melbourne and Sydney while he was in the ruck. He had a couple of great moments in the last ten minutes of the Carlton game too.

I thought Krueger was easily brushed aside in that Swans game when he went into the ruck. I don't know why so many are wanting to change what was a successful combination. Cox was excellent throughout the last ten weeks. He is still a weapon on his day and can turn the tide of a game as he did against Melbourne and Sydney while he was in the ruck. He had a couple of great moments in the last ten minutes of the Carlton game too.
Beats me too. Have we all got used to one ruck, which was Grundy's greatest assett? Is the attitude push things to the limit, ask a bit more than you have ever seen from a player, which I think Buckley tended to do. Cameron had a great period, so did Cox. Together they were an effective combination and realistically have the potential to improve. Cox can do the big things, take the marks that impact on the tempo of the game. He rarely gets towelled at centre bounces. Not the most mobile of players. Cameron is honest, always positioned well in marking contests and has good hands. He knows how to kick a goal and is just entering his best ruck years. Can get pushed aside in centre bounce and stoppages. Together they are a challenge for most teams and can beat up on the second ruck. Alone they are rarely going to be a strength and will get wrecked against a Brundy/Gawn combo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back