Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

He needs to start every qtr in the ruck then drift forward last 10 minutes for Cameron to take over

im not convinced with Cameron early on in games, hurt us in both finals. Cox best form this year has been as the first ruck. It also allows him to get his hands on the ball early to build his confidence

cameron always seems to finish the game well when rucking, marking around the ground etc
I can get behind this. Coxy’s value up the ground extends beyond his set shot reliability. If we’re coming from D50 and can get overlapping runs around the contest, he’s got the footy smarts to know whether to mark the ball or knock it on to keep the pace going. I agree he’d be better suited as first ruck but if Cameron can be effective late, having a ruck minded forward away from stoppage plays into our hand well.

he seems to have a problem with Cox being new to the game, perhaps it’s because he could only manage 5 games at the highest level of the time vfl, and an overseas import has played over 100.

Mason Cox therefore is a 2000% better footballer than Graeme Cornes ever was!

And counting

Can’t argue with maths….

I can get behind this. Coxy’s value up the ground extends beyond his set shot reliability. If we’re coming from D50 and can get overlapping runs around the contest, he’s got the footy smarts to know whether to mark the ball or knock it on to keep the pace going. I agree he’d be better suited as first ruck but if Cameron can be effective late, having a ruck minded forward away from stoppage plays into our hand well.
He is incredibly good at tapping the ball rather than blindly attempting to mark it. Coming from his background, he recognises that he's not always the best but almost turns that into an asset. Worth having out on the field. Twin rucks just suits the play of both Cameron and Cox.

Saw on Mason's story "unforeseen" circumstances prevented the Leon Davis interview being published. Anyone have details?

Well Coxy took a hit from First Crack tonight.
Unfortunately it was hard to argue against the hit and the vision shown.
15 hitouts and 4 kicks won’t be enough to get a place in a Premiership team when the whips are cracking.
And his inability last night to hold his ground, and his going to ground repeatedly when in a one on one, has to be addressed.
I believe he can be a game changer but he has to lift his game and his consistency if he is to fend off the challengers from within the club.

15 hitouts and 4 kicks won’t be enough to get a place in a Premiership team when the whips are cracking.
And his inability last night to hold his ground, and his going to ground repeatedly when in a one on one, has to be addressed.
I believe he can be a game changer but he has to lift his game and his consistency if he is to fend off the challengers from within the club.
If he throws the ball like he did on Saturday in a key moment in the Grand Final and we lose it it would be so typically Collingwood. We don't need to take the risk that he comes with. Cameron rucking with Johnson and McStay as back ups is a better option. We've been most vulnerable in the forward line so better to have more options there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘Challengers’ being one B Frampton. I’m pretty confident the brains trust value his contribution beyond raw stat lines.

‘Challengers’ being one B Frampton. I’m pretty confident the brains trust value his contribution beyond raw stat lines.
It wasn’t just pure stats though.
It’s the lack of presence in so many one on ones and packs.
Occasionally he gets it right and it’s awesome to see when he does because we again hope this is the turning point and what we will see in 6 or 7 out of 10 contests. But it’s become a false dawn.
And he was continually sprawled on the ground after being outmuscled by the number 2 port ruck.
Needs to work out that he’s a big man who should give a better contest in close.
Would dearly love him to be the first American Premiership player. But that shouldn’t be the reason to be included in the run at that premiership. Form must get better.

It wasn’t just pure stats though.
It’s the lack of presence in so many one on ones and packs.
Occasionally he gets it right and it’s awesome to see when he does because we again hope this is the turning point and what we will see in 6 or 7 out of 10 contests. But it’s become a false dawn.
And he was continually sprawled on the ground after being outmuscled by the number 2 port ruck.
Needs to work out that he’s a big man who should give a better contest in close.
Would dearly love him to be the first American Premiership player. But that shouldn’t be the reason to be included in the run at that premiership. Form must get better.
Spot on. Love the man, wouldn’t know about the game if it weren’t for his Pat Mcafee appearance. Its unfortunate if he gets dropped especially since hes never been good in the wet. But his forms taken a sizable step backwards since the beginning of the season.

David King on first crack "Mason cox is like Seinfeld, a big show about nothing"

A wet and slippery night is the kind of game we should prob take out Cox and bring in Frampton. Surprised we didn’t sub Cox out.

Dry conditions I’m ok with Cox playing but I still prefer Frampton for the position flexibility of being able to cover an injured tall defender. We are an undersized defence as it is, if Moore or Murphy go down when playing against Geelong or Brisbane it’s a big issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back