Recommitted Mason Redman [re-signed for 5 years]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

worked well with us and williams...

Exactly. Wouldn't want Essendon having to deal with the risks in this kind of experiment.

Edit: took me a sec to realise it wasn't a Bombers supporter.

Geez just checked this again and there's a lotta Adelaide people overreacting to my pretty tame dig at the place. I don't have any particularly strong feelings about it - seems like a nice joint, was doing an internet forum drive by. Calm down.

Mitch Cleary reporting genuine interest from Adelaide

A poster on our board raised a good point..Essendon if they keep going like the have started the season are likely to finish in the finals and may be at the pointy end. Therefore Band 1 compo might not be so attractive to them and they might want to force a trade if the crows do lodge an offer

What is a fair deal in a trade? - the crows have 2 x what should be good 2nd rounders this year (North's and GC's) or maybe a F1...BUT from a crows perspective, its the allure of being a RFA that is the key.

Will be interesting

A poster on our board raised a good point..Essendon if they keep going like the have started the season are likely to finish in the finals and may be at the pointy end. Therefore Band 1 compo might not be so attractive to them and they might want to force a trade if the crows do lodge an offer

What is a fair deal in a trade? - the crows have 2 x what should be good 2nd rounders this year (North's and GC's) or maybe a F1...BUT from a crows perspective, its the allure of being a RFA that is the key.

Will be interesting
The Crows will just make the contact big enough so that Essendon don't match.
One thing could could play a part is if Doedee leaves, because if we got Redmam as a FA and lose Doedee as a FA we won't get any compo for him, as such if we offer something as a trade for Redman we will still get the compo for Doedee.

First thing is to get him to want to come.here first.
Do we know who he supported growing up?

Will be interesting
If we finish in the top 8 we will be asking for a top 10 pick imo.

The Crows will just make the contact big enough so that Essendon don't match.
One thing could could play a part is if Doedee leaves, because if we got Redmam as a FA and lose Doedee as a FA we won't get any compo for him, as such if we offer something as a trade for Redman we will still get the compo for Doedee.

First thing is to get him to want to come.here first.
Do we know who he supported growing up?
How big do you reckon you can make a contract that we can't match... and how much do you really wanna pay for a small defender?

Could ask you guys the same question

But either way, isn’t he like 187cm? Barely small
Yep. But he's definitely not a key defender and he tends to match up on what you would call small forwards, so essentially it's a semantic argument. Call him a 'general defender' if it helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. But he's definitely not a key defender and he tends to match up on what you would call small forwards, so essentially it's a semantic argument. Call him a 'general defender' if it helps.
Yep that’s fair enough

How does he usually go on medium forwards? Like your Will Hayward types

I think we offer $750k to $800k, and if Essendon match then he stays.

That has to start occuring - matching shouldn't be about forcing a trade, because the price we offer Redman has the fact that he's otherwise free built in.

If you have to pay in picks as well, then the financial value of the players can't be as high.

How big do you reckon you can make a contract that we can't match... and how much do you really wanna pay for a small defender?
It's how most clubs get around having teams match.
They will set up a contract for two years at 750k a year, which he isn't worth, and then six months after he has signs on he will get an extra two year contract extension for 300k a year bringing his average yearly salery down to what he is worth.

How many clubs have matched a FA offer? One.

It's how most clubs get around having teams match.
They will set up a contract for two years at 750k a year, which he isn't worth, and then six months after he has signs on he will get an extra two year contract extension for 300k a year bringing his average yearly salery down to what he is worth.

How many clubs have matched a FA offer? One.

Redman is worth every bit of 750k as a free agent.

The average AFL wage is roughly 400k and that increases year on year. Your idea values him at 525k, which is severe unders for a 25 year old A grader.

Will 100% stay at Essendon if that’s all the Crows can muster up.

Redman is worth every bit of 750k as a free agent.

The average AFL wage is roughly 400k and that increases year on year. Your idea values him at 525k, which is severe unders for a 25 year old A grader.

Will 100% stay at Essendon if that’s all the Crows can muster up.
It’ll probably take 5/3.5 or 3.75 to get him out of there

Would that get the Bombers band 1 or 2?

FA compensation examples are here;

Haven’t updated it for a while but I don’t think it’s changed a lot, Daniher was 750 p.a. in 2020 (covid year but under the current CBA) which scraped in for Band 1.

As I said depends on the year though. Technically you have to be in the top 5% of salaries compared to the salaries of players over 25 lodged with the AFL for that year. Hence why it changes a bit from one year to the next.

700k base wage is about band 2. Upwards of 750k can be band 1 depending on the year.
I have an idea (well it was actually an idea used by Essendon before with Daniher). We will put a 3 year 900K per year offer to Redman that will get Essendon band 1, once the deal goes through - exactly like happened at Brisbane, we renegotiate the deal back to a lower amount over more years which is what we really wanted to do in the first place - but the key is to do exactly the same thing that Essendon and Brisbane did so that the AFL can't knock it back as there is a precedent now;)

I have an idea (well it was actually an idea used by Essendon before with Daniher). We will put a 3 year 900K per year offer to Redman that will get Essendon band 1, once the deal goes through - exactly like happened at Brisbane, we renegotiate the deal back to a lower amount over more years which is what we really wanted to do in the first place - but the key is to do exactly the same thing that Essendon and Brisbane did so that the AFL can't knock it back as there is a precedent now;)
You still have to pay the 2.7m over the first three years of the contract, Buddy rule. Whether he agrees to play for peanuts in the years afterwards is between you two.

And if he wants to leave and you wanna jimmy it to give us band 1 compo then I don’t think we’ll be saying no 😂😂

You still have to pay the 2.7m over the first three years of the contract, Buddy rule. Whether he agrees to play for peanuts in the years afterwards is between you two.

And if he wants to leave and you wanna jimmy it to give us band 1 compo then I don’t think we’ll be saying no 😂😂
It could easily work at 3 yrs 800k then the last 2 under renegotiation at 500k if my maths is correct is under 700k per year average for the 5...get creative where a precedent has been set

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Mason Redman [re-signed for 5 years]

Back