Recommitted Mason Redman [re-signed for 5 years]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he played his footy at glenelg so maybe he built up some good friendships here. Maybe there's a business opportunity here or a partner might wanna live here. There's always a myriad of factors.
Business opportunities.....so we are starting to use the Geelong strategy lol.

Redman isn't from Adelaide so unless he has family and/or childhood friends living in Adelaide I can't see why he leave for only slightly more money that Essendon is offering and after being settled in Melbourne for nearly 8 years. I think Ralph reported $650K at 5 years is the likely offer so I suspect he is around the mark, I would have offered $100K more to give him incentive to move and trigger a borderline band 1 compensation so Essendon don't match.
Has he a partner? Is she from Adelaide? A lot of the time it comes down to where the partner wants to live.

It’s not exactly breaking news by Scoop. An educated guess could have come up with that.

FWIW I think he might be out the door. I want him to stay but if he doesn’t want to hang around 👋

It’s not exactly breaking news by Scoop. An educated guess could have come up with that.

FWIW I think he might be out the door. I want him to stay but if he doesn’t want to hang around 👋
Slightly more than Essendon offer (from an "ITK" poster) but made up for a year more......doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Slightly more than Essendon offer (from an "ITK" poster) but made up for a year more......doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

It's not exactly a state secret to anyone that clubs usually have to pay a bit more coin to prise a player away from their current club.

My theory is that he probably wants to stay at Essendon, but the money the Crows are offering is probably significantly higher than Essendon's current best one atm.

If Essendon increase their offer to something near the Crows offer, he will stay, but not sure if they willing to commit that much money given their keen interest in Ben McKay.

It's not exactly a state secret to anyone that clubs usually have to pay a bit more coin to prise a player away from their current club.

My theory is that he probably wants to stay at Essendon, but the money the Crows are offering is probably significantly higher than Essendon's current best one atm.

If Essendon increase their offer to something near the Crows offer, he will stay, but not sure if they willing to commit that much money given their keen interest in Ben McKay.
might be length of contract here that is the point of difference rather than the yearly amount. if whats being 'reported' is anything like accurate.

might be length of contract here that is the point of difference rather than the yearly amount. if whats being 'reported' is anything like accurate.

You are probably right. Hopper choose Richmond over Geelong last year (for example) cause they offered him a 7 year contract (which I think is ridiculous in hindsight)

Unless we are talking about generational talents like Nick Daicos or JH-F, 5 years is the max length any club should offer any player (from their club or another)

You are probably right. Hopper choose Richmond over Geelong last year (for example) cause they offered him a 7 year contract (which I think is ridiculous in hindsight)

Unless we are talking about generational talents like Nick Daicos or JH-F, 5 years is the max length any club should offer any player (from their club or another)
Thats a fine theory, but then expect to miss out on everyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats a fine theory, but then expect to miss out on everyone

Carlton have been burned by offering/giving players from other clubs long term deals in the past, loathe for us to do anything else in the immediate future (although Cerra seems to be working out great for us)

I can see a team offering Logan McDonald a massive 8 year deal or so if he hasn't signed on with the Swans by the end of next year (sure he will though)

Sam McLure going with Crows have offered 6 years. No mention of $$ attached

Edit: I’m taking my grains of salt yes.
Yeah, McLure is likely to be guessing without any real intel.

We already know both the Crows & Dons have decent deals on the table... so it's just a question of where he wants to live/play... unless the Crows offer is significantly better, but reckon it will come down to where does he & his partner want to reside.

Carlton have been burned by offering/giving players from other clubs long term deals in the past, loathe for us to do anything else in the immediate future (although Cerra seems to be working out great for us)

I can see a team offering Logan McDonald a massive 8 year deal or so if he hasn't signed on with the Swans by the end of next year (sure he will though)
You win some you lose some. You want to make sure your winning more than your competitors

Logan Mcdonald sogned already to sydney they aint letting him go this year

Clubs in the background would be offering all sorts of big deals to players that never see the public eye

I do agree mate, however the landscape is slowly changing in the AFL, where clubs will offer ridiculous contract lengths to either retain or get players in and if it goes to s&%t then they just offload them and pay half the bill. Eg: Brodie Grundy. It is a majorly floored system as what the Suns were able to do with Bowes is the biggest crock if s*&t I have ever seen. As per the NBA the trade/money and salary should have to match in some form. Bush league

Crows aren’t offering much more , less than 10% more

10% is 60-70 at this range

Thats a significant increase

Its like the average joe earning 70k and being asked to do the same job down the road for 77k by another company
600k vs 620-650k

If he could get an extra year at Adelaide it starts to become significant

Nowhere near the big dollars some people thought Adelaide would offer (700k+)

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Mason Redman [re-signed for 5 years]

Back