Multiplat Mass Effect 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Great debut trailer! This will be my most anticipated game ever, can't wait :thumbsu: Does anyone recognise the guy talking? (assuming its the person in the video) Maybe he'll have a role to play if your Shepard died in ME2.

If your Shepard died in ME2 then you can't bring that save over, he's technically dead in that "universe", so you'll have to make a new Shepard at the start of ME3.

Can't wait. I think I've had more fun with my 'prick with a heart of gold' Shepard, so I'm tempted to start with that first, even though I'm usually inclined to be a good guy first up.

Nahhh not worried at all with Bioware at the helm.

1st) ME1 and ME2 (plus other games) have given them the funds/knowledge to throw at ME3.

2nd) I reckon they would have been developing core parts of ME3 whilst doing ME2, so the story/game would flow through easier.

Yeah, it's probably like the Matrix, they made the first one, didn't realize how popular it would be, then like a 3 yr break between 1 & 2, with the 2nd and 3rd made back to back.

Mass Effect was always going to be a trilogy. They said that from the word go. I'm sure that if the first one were a flop though it'd have made things hard to finish the trilogy though.

Apparently the third one will be based heavily in Earth. Fantastic!

Mass Effect was always going to be a trilogy. They said that from the word go. I'm sure that if the first one were a flop though it'd have made things hard to finish the trilogy though.

Apparently the third one will be based heavily in Earth. Fantastic!

So more like Star Wars then Matrix. Lucas said if the first one flopped he wouldn't get the sequel. Where as Matrix was a great stand alone movie that was diluted in creating a trilogy.

So more like Star Wars then Matrix. Lucas said if the first one flopped he wouldn't get the sequel. Where as Matrix was a great stand alone movie that was diluted in creating a trilogy.

Pretty much. The creators of Mass Effect have always compared ME 2 to The Empire Strikes Back. It's the dark middle chapter.

Although given that everyone survived the suicide mission for me it doesn't seem too dark

And for the record, I loved the Matrix Reloaded but didn't like Revolutions all that much. The original was still the best though.

Yeah, I think all three are good, but the first one clearly trumps the other two.

On a side note, didn't something like this happen with Too Human?
Like they announced it as a trilogy, and it has an open end (I don't know, I've never played it) in preparation for the sequels, but it flopped and they let it slide under the radar.

Yeah, I think all three are good, but the first one clearly trumps the other two.

On a side note, didn't something like this happen with Too Human?
Like they announced it as a trilogy, and it has an open end (I don't know, I've never played it) in preparation for the sequels, but it flopped and they let it slide under the radar.
Too Human was always meant to be a trilogy, but the first took around 10 years to make and several different iterations on PS2, Gamecube and 360. Also several publishers tried to give it a go.

When Too Human finally came out, not only did it score terribly - ended up as a 65 on Metacritic compared to Mass Effect's 91/89 - and only sold 3/4 of a million units which was just nowhere near enough to make back what was spent on it - comparatively Mass Effect 1 has still sold more than Mass Effect 2 which is over the 2 million units mark.

Microsoft still have the option to pick it up at some point. But Silicon Knights have moved on to other projects.

Mass Effect has done well enough in sales and critically to warrant the sequels. It's always a risk when from the outset you plan to make a trilogy and some pay for it, while others prevail hugely.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/15/interview-bioware-casey-hudson-on-the-making-of-mass-effect-2/

The quote regarding how variables in the original games will have an effect in ME3 is amazing

It's beyond three or four dimensions, because you have all the consequences from a certain playthrough and many different things that happen and different things that happen within those. But then all those things different for a different play through and then times your class and times your gender and all these things. We're pulling in probably over a thousand variables from Mass Effect 2 into Mass Effect 3 if you're importing your save game.

Unbelievable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems it will at very least be single player centred if not single player only.
Posting on the official Bioware forums, a moderator by the name of Pacifier put an end to that particular speculation, saying the following:
“Now that BioWare has officially announced Mass Effect 3 with their press release yesterday, I’m going back to my age-old thread closer here: Mass Effect 3 is a single-player game. Feel free to dissect the trailer in this thread, I suppose.”
http://www.made2game.com/xbox-360/bioware-say-mass-effect-3-is-single-player-game/

Great debut trailer! This will be my most anticipated game ever, can't wait :thumbsu: Does anyone recognise the guy talking? (assuming its the person in the video) Maybe he'll have a role to play if your Shepard died in ME2.

Understatement... once PS3 fans get and finish ME2 in Jan 2011 pretty much all major adult console fans will be covered (except Wii).

The anticipation by XBOX, PS3 and PC fans combined will see this game rival "Blizzard" like releases.

Understatement... once PS3 fans get and finish ME2 in Jan 2011 pretty much all major adult console fans will be covered (except Wii).

The anticipation by XBOX, PS3 and PC fans combined will see this game rival "Blizzard" like releases.
Not quite, the game is big in the hardcore circles, but outside of that it's not really got a huge mainstream following. It's solid, but not huge, so the hype won't reach massive pinnacles.

Not quite, the game is big in the hardcore circles, but outside of that it's not really got a huge mainstream following. It's solid, but not huge, so the hype won't reach massive pinnacles.

That's true. Mass Effect is a game that you have to invest a lot of time in to get good results, or at least the outcomes that you are aiming for and most gamers don't have that kind of attention span to spend 44+ hours on a single player game. They'll usually blast through it and "whatever happens, happens". At the end of the day it is an RPG, even if ME2 was more shooter oriented, and the average "buy the new CoD every year" gamer isn't going to be interested in something that has more to it than just shooting stuff.

I would argue that it is these hardcore fans that normally propel games anticipation and media interest.

WoW isn't for everyone... yet everyone has heard of it via the hardcore fans anticipating the releases, queing for days, and generating news headlines.

With ME expanding into the Sony world... that is another circle of hardcore supporters that will add to the mix.

Also with the release of ME2 most ME fans were just hoping they didn't screw it up... now ME2 has proved to be to ME what Empire Strikes Back was to Star Wars... everyone is super excited about ME3. The only reservation being they hope it doesn't turn out like Return of the Jedi.:thumbsu:

I would argue that it is these hardcore fans that normally propel games anticipation and media interest.

WoW isn't for everyone... yet everyone has heard of it via the hardcore fans anticipating the releases, queing for days, and generating news headlines.

With ME expanding into the Sony world... that is another circle of hardcore supporters that will add to the mix.

Also with the release of ME2 most ME fans were just hoping they didn't screw it up... now ME2 has proved to be to ME what Empire Strikes Back was to Star Wars... everyone is super excited about ME3. The only reservation being they hope it doesn't turn out like Return of the Jedi.:thumbsu:
I guess 'Hardcore' can be taken in different contexts.

WoW hardcore is a lot different to your average hardcore gamer. You get many a gamer who literally just plays WoW and nothing else, that, for what I was referring to is not the same audience.

I'm talking your general hardcore gamer who just loves games, not specifically just gets so into one game they just go crazy for it and play it non-stop.

As a general gaming community ME won't be huge in that scheme of things, there's not that same rabbid community. It's only barely touching 5 million units on console over both 1 and 2, which is good, but not 'huge'. In fact if you look at it via sales it would actually seem that it was basically the same people who came back to ME2 from ME1 rather than a new and bigger audience picking it up, probably proving the point even more so.

Not to mention while ME2 will still do fairly well on PS3, the 1 year delay never helps turn good sales, especially with a bevvy of other games early in 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Mass Effect 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back