Masten Criticism

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, one time in the last quarter it was particularly noticeable - nothing came of it, but he put 2-3m on a couple of Port players in no time.

Masten is fairly quick, it was one of the reasons we drafted him, he's probably just been slowed down by the OP. Hopefully the speed is back for good!

yeah i noticed that in the last quarter. I suppose another point to note is that it was the last quarter... so he must have a good tank on him. Pretty encouraging really to see his pace is becoming more apprarent as the season wears on.

yeah i noticed that in the last quarter. I suppose another point to note is that it was the last quarter... so he must have a good tank on him. Pretty encouraging really to see his pace is becoming more apprarent as the season wears on.

Woosha said, in a press conference a couple of weeks ago, that Masten's body is just starting to come good and he expected Masten to have a very big last 4 weeks of the season.

The thing that has impressed me is Masten's ability to contribute for the whole game. Previously, he'd been given about 50% time on the ball. Despite this, he still managed to get 15-18 possessions, which equates to 30+ possies if you spend the whole game on the ball. However, this is easier said than done. Good to see he's been able extend that level of contribution over the full game.

With Masten gathering plenty of the ball, Selwood playing an attacking role and McGinnity doing a good negating job, hopefully Kerr will have a bit more support, when he comes back.

Looks like he might have missed on again, apparently it is an Essendon player, probably Hurley.

This is not a bad thing though, as I've said before I want him to keep improving and hopefully this will spur him on. I reckon 48 touches this week! And he can win the nom Rd 22.

Looks like he might have missed on again, apparently it is an Essendon player, probably Hurley.

This is not a bad thing though, as I've said before I want him to keep improving and hopefully this will spur him on. I reckon 48 touches this week! And he can win the nom Rd 22.

If so, what a friggen joke.

Will become a elite player.
Has all the skills and guts.
Remember he is roving to a loosing ruck at present which makes his performances even better. He is winning his own ball, not getting spoon fed.

Masten is fairly quick, it was one of the reasons we drafted him, he's probably just been slowed down by the OP. Hopefully the speed is back for good!

Yeah I hope so. I guess I was going by most of the discussion of Masten on these boards seemed to suggest he wasn't particularly quick (and I have very little knowledge of potential draftees) so I guess I wasn't expecting what I saw on the weekend... it got my attention to see him burst out of those packs the way he did. Very nice. :thumbsu:

i've seen masten play before and i though he was disapointing and hadn't really shown much but this round he was impressive and I can see why we drafted him:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I hope so. I guess I was going by most of the discussion of Masten on these boards seemed to suggest he wasn't particularly quick (and I have very little knowledge of potential draftees) so I guess I wasn't expecting what I saw on the weekend... it got my attention to see him burst out of those packs the way he did. Very nice. :thumbsu:

Then you will like, and probably missed, the highlights of his third quarter against the Hawks... specifically for the turn of speed at the 8:47 mark, his awareness and handpass at 7:54, and his disposal by foot at 6:57 ... all of that is just drool worthy if it carries on for his career :thumbsu:

[youtube]SY8Bb5og89E[/youtube]

In the second half, Kornes was his opponent. Though, it wouldnt have been a hard tag, given the game was already over.

You dont think? I thought given their precarious ladder position and finals it would have been rammed through to them by Chocco that every percentage point in the score was important - I wouldnt have thought they would have gone anything other than 100% all game?

You dont think? I thought given their precarious ladder position and finals it would have been rammed through to them by Chocco that every percentage point in the score was important - I wouldnt have thought they would have gone anything other than 100% all game?

True, and it was Masten who was moving the ball forward at every opportunity.

71% efficiency from 38 touches is quality from a player who apparently butchers the ball. 27 effective touches, probably the most from any of our players this year.

71% efficiency from 38 touches is quality from a player who apparently butchers the ball. 27 effective touches, probably the most from any of our players this year.

Granted, most of those would have been little handballs to players in close proximity, but no arguments from me.

It's refreshing to see a lot of pro-Masten comments finally. I wonder how many have changed their views because I was struggling to find many 2 months ago..

Anyway, great signs all things considered. Can't wait til this kid gets a couple of preseasons into him and develops his strength.

This is the ben cousins effect. Players like kerr, cousins, masten and crawford were neevr the speedsters like wojinscki, lids and judd but could keep their pace for the entire game while others tired.

This is the ben cousins effect. Players like kerr, cousins, masten and crawford were neevr the speedsters like wojinscki, lids and judd but could keep their pace for the entire game while others tired.
Add Ablett to that group

Remove this Banner Ad

Masten Criticism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back