Matt Austin

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I know everytime someone gets delisted some annoying blogger says that we should pick them up and then everyone else inevitably takes turns at canning them for their ridiculous idea so I guess now it is my turn.

I have watched Matt Austin closely over the past 12 months (mainly because he was a bench player in my SC Team) and I think he is a genuinely good fit for where we are at and where we are going.

He is 20 years old, 187cm and 75kg and can play midfield, half forward and half back. He played 8 games in 2009 and had a total of 72 disposals (18 cont, 51 uncont) after playing an average of 65% game time. His disposoal rating was only 67% but this was more to do with a few missed handballs in and under during high pressure games against Adelaide and Syndey than anything else. Against quality opponents St Kilda, Geelong and WB as well as Nth he had over 80% efficiency.

His frame is strong and he is solid around the shoulders with room to build on his 75kg structure. I heard Michael Voss say on more than 1 occasion this year he was practically knocking the door down to get a senior game with solid form in the QAFL.

I'm not sure why he was delisted and I know that there is always a reason but it could be more to do with Voss looking at the here and now and Austin struggling to fit into a Midfield boasting Black, Power, Rich, Johnstone and Sherman and with Redden the preferred back up/ rising star coming through.

Austin was drafted at pick 57 and at the time the Lions were ecstatic as they believed that he would be taken in the second round and they were drafting for needs and didn't think they could get him. (they took Henderson with their first pick)

I think that if we were to invest a late pick (past 72) in him then we would be getting something better than the so-called rough diamonds that have no AFL experience running around in the state leagues. This kid knows the caper and what it takes to succeed, he is a Melbourne boy and I think with his age and attributes and he could certainly add something to our list.

Your thoughts...

:) Understood, his SC scores weren't great but the good thing about SC is it forces you to watch players. Whenever he was near the ball I would keep an eye on him, if he could find space, position etc and I think he is very good at it. What I like most is he runs forward of the ball for a receive rather than dropping back for an easy uncontested possession like many of our player do. His lack of disposals often came as a result of him running forward and the midfield opting to go to Brown or Bradshaw. We don't have decent KPP's so he might get used better in our structure.

Looks like a reasonable prospect, if we are taking 8-9 players in the draft as reported, I'd be happy to have a crack at a few delistees...not much point putting the 80th best player in this draft on your senior list.

Steve Austins Son......a man bearly alive......we can rebuild him........FASTER, STRONGER.....Andy Collins he is eyeng your spot......lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back