Matt Maguire

Remove this Banner Ad

This was an upsetting story
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...on-line-after-concussion-20150611-ghlsr6.html
Matt was a great player for the Saints and I remember on game where he beat Jono Brown at his best. I was present at the 2005 prelim where Barry Hall punched Matt in the stomach, off the ball and enough to disable him. It was worth 3 weeks but the tribunal allowed him to play. After a bad leg break, he lost some mobility, and was delisted. He was picked up by Brisbane and played well but a career which could have made him a great was finished. He would have been an asset in 2009 and 2010 and who knows. Good luck Matt.

I thought Matt was really good for us and I was a little disappointed when we delisted him, although I understood the logic behind it. I agree he would of been very useful in 09 and 10. I hope he pulls through to be free of any long term health effects.

Would've been a great player for us if he wasn't so injury prone, remember him bombing a mammoth goal from the centre square at the G against Hawthorn hope he doesn't have any long term effects from this

That's sad to hear, I really enjoyed watching him play when I was younger. Wishing him all the best. :thumbsu:

I remember being devastated when he snapped the leg. He was a great guy too, I met him and was a big friendly guy. Hope he gets over the symptoms and there is nothing long lasting.

I didn't even realise this was the same guy at the Lions! Thought it was a different person with the same name as an ex-Saint. But then I basically never watch their games.
Have to be honest I have two ex-teammates who had similar situations, and they had to retire. One of them was still feeling sick just on a treadmill a couple months later. Ain't worth it, especially when at his stage in his career he can say he had a fair crack. Wish him well.

Was a gun in 04/05. Another of our forgotten players who's career was ruined by injury and didn't make it to our 09-10 gfs but could've made a difference.

His delisting was the wrong call and he's proved that at Brisbane. Top bloke too, wish him all the best.
I don't think he would have. We had Dawson as first banana and a bloke called Max who arguably could/should have played instead of Dawson.

Goose was let go at his own request (EDIT: traded I think for a pick in the 60s) in order to be free to pursue options elsewhere.

Along with Xavier Clarke, a pair of top blokes for us during that period whose careers were blighted by injury. Same could be said for Ball and Kosi too... who didn't quite reach the potential he showed during that 2005 season prior to the Giansiracusa cheap shot.

Not that you can fault our 09 defence too much, but injury free Maguire was a better player than Dawson ever was. Would have comfortably slotted into CHB.

And without looking it up on phone, I am certain Goose was delisted. Remember him training with Carlton, but luckily he landed at the more innocuous Lions. Knowing Lyon I'm sure it was made clear to him there wasn't a spot for him so whether or not he requested to leave ia a moot point, but I think we'd all agree he should've been kept.

Edit: add Luke Penny forced into retirement at age 24 to Goose, X, Kosi and Ball who if not for injuries could have been stars playing at their peak in 09/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember Hall kicked a goal as a result of that punch.

It's called cheating. And Hall admitted it by pleading guilty to a charge at the tribunal.

And a few days later the AFL endorsed it by letting him play.

Firmly feel a part of the AFL's innocence was lost when Hall was let off. Completely contrived result.

That 'innocence' cupboard is completely empty now, but back then it meant a lot.

Would've been a great player for us if he wasn't so injury prone, remember him bombing a mammoth goal from the centre square at the G against Hawthorn hope he doesn't have any long term effects from this

He was NOT injury prone. He suffered a massive leg break. When bones heal they suck the calcium out of the surrounding bones, and hence when he came back he got stress fractures in those ( calcium depleted ) bones. Once properly healed i don't think he has been particularly injury prone. Not sure why delisted him. We must have needed all of Nic Winmar, Injured Jesse, Adam Pattison, Will Johnson, and Injured never to play again Jarryd Allen and Leigh Fisher more.

Seriously culpable drafting and list management. Seriously difficult for me to avoid hitting the swear filter when i think about that year's draft.

Remember Hall kicked a goal as a result of that punch.

It's called cheating. And Hall admitted it by pleading guilty to a charge at the tribunal.

It was an interesting call to let him play in the GF. It clearly wasn't impartial and kind of unprofessional as I saw it...

The thing about that Hall incident was that the goal he kicked as a result of the punch had a massive impact on the result. It was a disgusting incident; I agree that the afl lost so much credibility with that decision.

With all due respect, his injury was severe.

I remember an article a few years ago, which mentioned maguire regularly using a hammer on his leg during half time breaks regularly at brisbane...

I miss Goose, that game against Jonathon Brown was a classic, I also miss Xavier Clarke, both could have been big. Oddly enough also miss Luke Penny.

I know it's not in the 'spirit' of football but we should pick him up as a rookie and play him as the sub for 1 game to get the 100 up.

Married to Luke Ball's sister so the breeding will be fantastic and I want first dibs!!!

I know it's not in the 'spirit' of football but we should pick him up as a rookie and play him as the sub for 1 game to get the 100 up.

Married to Luke Ball's sister so the breeding will be fantastic and I want first dibs!!!

theres talk father son games will be reduced in the near future

theres talk father son games will be reduced in the near future
Yep, funnily enough the main area it's being pushed is by the AFLPA... now run by Mr Luke Ball... strange coincidence, considering he only played 81 games for Collingwood... (a tool of the highest order)

Yep, funnily enough the main area it's being pushed is by the AFLPA... now run by Mr Luke Ball... strange coincidence, considering he only played 81 games for Collingwood... (a tool of the highest order)
Absolute flog.

Love the new avatar.

testing the memory a bit, i think the broken leg was caused by friendly fire,
time to think about the future now goose and hang up the boots.
It was against the West Coast from memory. Tyson Stenglein was leading forward to the ball as Matt was running back to help out & Matt's foot planted right sorta under Stenglein's body as he came through, snapping the leg completely (both tibia & fibula) about 10cm above the ankle....

I remember hearing a 'slapping' sound at the game, which I thought was a players hand slapping the ball away in the contest.... turns out the noise was Matt's leg breaking.... Still makes me feel ill

Poor bugger. Really liked Matt Maguire. Love a key backman that has size & some well-controlled mongrel in him

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Maguire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back