Speculation Matthew Kennedy [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Macrae would be worth more than Kennedy, so I don’t see why Saints can’t just go for Kennedy instead to be honest.
Back in the day sure, nowadays Macrae is playing half his games in the 2s or as sub and has a monumental contract hanging over his head.

Kennedy would be bang on par if not more valuable than 30 year old Macrae

Macrae would be worth more than Kennedy, so I don’t see why Saints can’t just go for Kennedy instead to be honest.
worth more in contract value, but less in trade value.

Back in the day sure, nowadays Macrae is playing half his games in the 2s or as sub and has a monumental contract hanging over his head.

Kennedy would be bang on par if not more valuable than 30 year old Macrae

Either way, at best it’d be a 3 way trade with Dogs essentially getting Kennedy, Saints Macrae, and Blues a pick in the 40s.

Personally that sounds terrible for the Dogs but if Darcy, Richards, Bont etc will be on 1mil+ after next year, I can see the logic as Kennedy will be on half Macrae’s salary.

Either way, at best it’d be a 3 way trade with Dogs essentially getting Kennedy, Saints Macrae, and Blues a pick in the 40s.

Personally that sounds terrible for the Dogs but if Darcy, Richards, Bont etc will be on 1mil+ after next year, I can see the logic as Kennedy will be on half Macrae’s salary.
That is an awful deal for Carlton. Won't happen.

This is true but his stats also reflect that he's been the jack-of-all-trades and as a full-time mid they'd be higher/better.

Think you're correct about his place in the pecking order though
Is he going to get that opportunity before Treloar’s and Libba’s abilities drop below his? Richards was great in his first year as a midfielder, and Sanders is firming for a long-term future in the centre.

The Bulldogs aren’t trading for the 25 touch, highly skilled mid that Kennedy has never been, they’re trading for the same player he is at Carlton.

Macrae is also a 3 x AA what's Kennedy ever been other then a nice role player?

Macrae was AA in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

We’re now in 2024 and the earliest Macrae plays for his new club is 2025.

What he has been is completely irrelevant. What he will be is the only consideration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae was AA in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

We’re now in 2024 and the earliest Macrae plays for his new club is 2025.

What he has been is completely irrelevant. What he will be is the only consideration.
Yes 3 years in a row he was AA as a full time mid which is what he will play at the Saints,

Kennedy has never gone close to reaching the same heights hence his value is less

Yes 3 years in a row he was AA as a full time mid which is what he will play at the Saints,

Great. It’s still not relevant.

Reckon St Kilda are thinking he’s going to get back to his All Australian level?

Everyone knows how good a player he was and I dare say everyone also knows the likelihood of reproducing that level of performance.

Kennedy has never gone close to reaching the same heights hence his value is less

Yes, quite clearly Macrae has been a better footballer over their respective careers.

I don’t believe anyone has said or would say differently.

But clubs obviously trade with a focus on what a player will produce at their club going forward.

Will Jack be a better player than Kennedy over the next 3-5 years?

Maybe, maybe not - nobody can be certain. But what we can be certain of is that prior selections in the AA team have exactly zero bearing on that.

Great. It’s still not relevant.

Reckon St Kilda are thinking he’s going to get back to his All Australian level?

Everyone knows how good a player he was and I dare say everyone also knows the likelihood of reproducing that level of performance.

Yes, quite clearly Macrae has been a better footballer over their respective careers.

I don’t believe anyone has said or would say differently.

But clubs obviously trade with a focus on what a player will produce at their club going forward.

Will Jack be a better player than Kennedy over the next 3-5 years?

Maybe, maybe not - nobody can be certain. But what we can be certain of is that prior selections in the AA team have exactly zero bearing on that.
Playing as a full time on baller at the Saints no doubt Macrae will be better,

Playing a hybrid Half forward/onball role we have Kennedy hence the trades will be done in a 3 way however on face value Macrae would have a slightly higher value given Kennedy also only has 1 year left on his contract compared to Macraes 3

You're not recruiting Macrae as a forward though you are as a midfielder and Macrae is significantly better in that position
Yes that’s correct but the exact same thing could be said of Kennedy. If we were recruiting him instead, we’d be recruiting him to play in the midfield and he’s significantly better in that position.

And while it’s not the be-all-and-end-all obviously as a guide, Macrae not only didn’t receive a Brownlow vote this year (when played mostly out of position, and coming off an interrupted preseason) he didn’t receive a single one the previous year either, so chances are, both he and Kennedy would be about on par if played predominantly on the ball as well.

So given their respective ages and the contracts they bring with them, I would definitely prefer Kennedy, if they were the same cost in a trade.

How have you worked that out? Kennedy averages 13 games a year Macrae averages closer to 21
Well I attributed more weighting to recent history...as a list manager might do. They have both had a clear run in recent years.

Kennedy's injury plagued years are as much a factor as Macrae's AA years going forward IE a minor one

I don't think its outlandish to say Kennedy is as likely to play 220 games as Macrae is 320.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Matthew Kennedy [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back