Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is that with Sirengate the AFL determined that it was the fault of the timekeeper (not blowing the siren for long enough / assuming the umpire(s) had heard it), not umpire error. There's no precedent for overturning a result because of an in-game error by an on-field official.

Errors by on-field officials come under the category of "stuff happens" and sporting bodies are loath to undermine the authority of those officials. The Court of Arbitration for Sport has applied this principle in other cases overseas.

There's a followup video to the one you posted that explains this quite well, but I can't find it again.

Edit: found it, unfortunately it's preceded by a couple of long ads.

It was timekeeper error but from memory they overturned it because the game had ended.
If Keays point was called after the siren I’d say the AFL would have overturned the decision.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your core premise but did you agree with this game result being overturned?

Swans hadn’t scored a goal in the last quarter and clearly very unlikely to have scored a goal in the last minute.

The difference with that game was that there was a definitive answer as to the result.

The siren went, but due to issues at the ground it wasn't heard so the AFL just went back to what the score was at the final siren.

It was clear cut, there was no ambiguity with the result.

The AFL may have potentially done the same thing had Keays kick happened at the final siren. Unfortunately for us there was still enough time on the clock for the result to not be 100% clear.

Last edited:
It was such an egregious error and they had technology in place to correct it there and then when it was flagged. That they chose to not do anything and they could have was a total disgrace. I would have settled for a replay - they have done that before in Europe with Soccer where there were match defining errors committed by the referee pre VAR in Germany. It was just such a massive season wrecking error that it should not have been allowed to stand imo
We deserve every shit sandwich we get.

--- the possibility that a goal review, had it been taken, might have been called "Umpire's call", and so on.

This is a good point

From memory there was an issue with edge for that kick because Sydney players were touching the post.

It also wasn't super clear on the replay that it was a goal.

There's every chance that even if it was reviewed that it may have been an umpire's call.

I know the AFL admitted it was wrong, but in the heat of the moment with only a 30-60 second window to make a decision with no edge available I don't have faith that they would have overturned it.

This is a good point

From memory there was an issue with edge for that kick because Sydney players were touching the post.

It also wasn't super clear on the replay that it was a goal.

There's every chance that even if it was reviewed that it may have been an umpire's call.

I know the AFL admitted it was wrong, but in the heat of the moment with only a 30-60 second window to make a decision with no edge available I don't have faith that they would have overturned it.

Agree.

We as a club need to move on from the whole incident.

What isn’t in dispute is Nicks changed our game plan which resulted in us being 0-4 after 4 rounds which basically destroyed our season.

This year is all on Mr Nicks, no ifs, no buts.

This is our seventh year out of finals

Nicks coaches his 100th game this weekend

Against these 11 teams he's coached 61 games for 10 wins

Brisbane 7 games - 1 win
Collingwood 7 - 0
Essendon 5 - 0
Fremantle 5 - 1
Geelong 5 - 1
Gold Coast 6 - 2
GWS 6 - 2
Melbourne 6 - 1
Richmond 5 -1
Sydney 5 - 0
Dogs 4 - 1

Elite

This is our seventh year out of finals

Nicks coaches his 100th game this weekend

Against these 11 teams he's coached 61 games for 10 wins

Brisbane 7 games - 1 win
Collingwood 7 - 0
Essendon 5 - 0
Fremantle 5 - 1
Geelong 5 - 1
Gold Coast 6 - 2
GWS 6 - 2
Melbourne 6 - 1
Richmond 5 -1
Sydney 5 - 0
Dogs 4 - 1

Elite
What can you do, he's a dud surrounded by a group of duds. DUDLAND.

Bounty Hunter Dog GIF by DefyTV

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To drill down further, a lot of those coaches also had stints at more than one club.

The longest consecutive stint at a club by a coach to have never made the finals is 126 games by Alan Richardson, Stuart Dew is a close 2nd with 121 games.

Nicks will be on 106 games at the end of the year and if he coaches the whole season next year and doesn't make the finals then he'll hold the dubious honour of having the longest and most unsuccessful tenure in the history of VFL/AFL football.

It's actually starting to become embarrassing at this point that he's still coaching us.
Starting?

Never realised Nicks was the AFL equivalent of Gareth Southgate.
Shhh I bet this gets a run now that the Hardwick comparison keeps getting shot down

'' maaaate everyone said Southgate was no good everyone said England wouldnt make finals well guess what we have our own Gareth Southgate at the AFC ''

Be very interesting to see what happens if we get humbled at home by Saints.

Without Rankine (and an important Hinge) and a few of their players getting back into form against Sydney, not going to be an easy game for Nicks especially if Ro$$ Lyin' turns it into a dour scrapfest early....

Be very interesting to see what happens if we get humbled at home by Saints.

Without Rankine (and an important Hinge) and a few of their players getting back into form against Sydney, not going to be an easy game for Nicks especially if Ro$$ Lyin' turns it into a dour scrapfest early....
Nothing will happen, they’ll blame injuries and missing Rankine. We are a big chance of losing this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back