Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Settle. Difference of opinion doesn’t need name calling and all caps

And like it or not - the wider footy world is not calling for Nicks sacking or suggesting such. So it’s not like Wayne’s opinion is crazy left field - the overwhelming majority of footy pundits agree with him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes we should definitely govern our club based on media vibes.

And like it or not - the wider footy world is not calling for Nicks sacking or suggesting such. So it’s not like Wayne’s opinion is crazy left field - the overwhelming majority of footy pundits agree with him

Absolutely wrong.
He is a mod that abuses his rights as one, meaning nobody can click ignore and so he continuously goes unchecked with deliberate trolling.
Once people stop responding, he will only be left with his echo chamber.

The overwhelming footy media does not agree with him.

Reality is, the overwhelming footy media is Victorian and simply do not care enough about us.

I guarantee if Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, Carlton etc were in our position, there would be significant heat on their coach.

The vics have no problems with us staying shit. Why would they complain.

Thing that I just don’t get.

Taylor and Dowling made to have long extended runs of form in the SANFL to get a game, despite us having no idea what they’re capable of at AFL level.

Jones and McHenry play one decent game at SANFL level and they’re straight back in. Despite having ample opportunity to prove themselves at AFL level and failing to do so.

Thing that I just don’t get.

Taylor and Dowling made to have long extended runs of form in the SANFL to get a game, despite us having no idea what they’re capable of at AFL level.

Jones and McHenry play one decent game at SANFL level and they’re straight back in. Despite having ample opportunity to prove themselves at AFL level and failing to do so.
Nicks

The overwhelming footy media does not agree with him.

Reality is, the overwhelming footy media is Victorian and simply do not care enough about us.

I guarantee if Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, Carlton etc were in our position, there would be significant heat on their coach.

Nah

Lyon is coping minimal heat. Clarko hasn’t coached a finals bound team in forever - and North have far more midfield talent than we do

Most of them realise how bad our list was a few years ago and that we have only just started to get enough talent in the group to go up the ladder

Nah

Lyon is coping minimal heat. Clarko hasn’t coached a finals bound team in forever - and North have far more midfield talent than we do

Most of them realise how bad our list was a few years ago and that we have only just started to get enough talent in the group to go up the ladder

Very few coaches get a lot of scrutiny, it’s not how the media operate especially when they like the coach. Nicks lack of personal scrutiny has nothing to do with his coaching, but his actual coaching like defensive gameplan to start the year, vanilla midfield mix, selection and player development, win loss have all been scrutinised, you know, what the coach is responsible for. It’s pathetic how soft they’ve been on him considering he’s cost us finals.

As for Clarko, no one’s doubting his coaching credentials despite not having played in finals, win 4 flags gets you that grace. Lyon has made a GF and finals.

Nicks hasn’t made one finals series. Chalk and cheese.

Nah

When is this going up the ladder thing supposed to start?

Nah

Lyon made finals last year.

Clarkson is two years in to his tenure at North. I have serious doubts about his likelihood of succeeding there, however he is clearly going all in on developing their young players. When you do that it’s accepted the results will be worse. The same cannot be said for Nicks.

The thing that annoys me with Nicks and the Nicks brigade is their lack of awareness and acknowledgement as to how Nicks has cost us and how he’s been dragged kicking and screaming to change.

Now before you tell me we are the youngest team, well that’s a list management decision, there are literally **** all experienced players he can play that he’s hasn’t given a lot of opportunity to.

Nicks approach this year has been to play the most experienced side he can irrespective of form as he believed this is what was required to win and make finals. As the early losses accrued to his shit game plan and this selection approach he slowly introduced players, held some back stating they had stuff to work on and made the famous line “they need to learn our values”. Once finals were off the cards he’s played more kids and what do you know, our forms the best it’s been culminating with a great come from behind win against the Bombers with not only senior players missing but injured in the last.

Those of us critical of Nicks have stated this as a major flaw in his coaching all year, all we got was injury excuses, trust the coaches they know more and now? Well they’ve got the gall so say they and Nicks have been right all along.

Let’s look at some examples:

Nank plays well in his games last year, trains all preseason with the B team, he’s not considered an A team player. Introduced round 4. Plays wel against Port made sub the following week for a cooked Smith who Nicks eventually has to drop. Nank shows more poise than a number of our senior players.

Dowling, putting in good games in the SANFL. Has stuff to work on. Injury to Crouch opens the door and he’s held his spot since. Playing on the wing in not his preferred position, putting up good numbers and kicking clutch goals.

Taylor, has stuff to work on apparently the week of his debut, only gets a debut to Jones being a late out. In one quarter as sub showed he belongs and is a footballer. Stupidly is made sub again. Full games now and he clearly belongs.

Our midfield. Relied on a senior mediocre midfield mix until he couldn’t justify it any longer. Introduces Soligo, Rankine, Berry is back and now Taylor.

Backed in McHenry and Jones way too long. McHenry has to have played his last game.

We absolutely should be playing finals this year, the top 8 is far from elite or set. We’ve blown a chance and it’s 100% on Nicks. Changed our gameplan because he didn’t trust our young defence and in the process crippled our strength. Poor midfield mix. Lack of faith in the list.
Thanks for that, I always love a good horror story 😱

The thing that infuriates me is Nix seems to think you can't make a finals tilt whilst introducing fresh faces into your side. It's bollocks.

Fremantle could finish top 4 this year with a list that's less experienced than ours

1721969037730.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle could finish top 4 this year with a list that's less experienced than ours

View attachment 2059208
Not sure you can really make that argument from that graph.
Our top 5 most experienced players are more experienced.
The next 15 are not?

However I'm happy enough to say that the experience level is close enough that Freo are doing way better than us with their list.

Not sure you can really make that argument from that graph.
Our top 5 most experienced players are more experienced.
The next 15 are not?

However I'm happy enough to say that the experience level is close enough that Freo are doing way better than us with their list.

Fremantle are the 17th most experienced list in the league. We are 15th with an average of 5 games more per player, going in to 2024

So where exactly did I say the list was not good enough ......sheesh, a basic inability of people to actually read & understand
I'm happy to say our list is not good enough.

The bottom 4-5 players in our 22 each week are not good enough. The number of true A-graders at the top end of talent pool on our list is not enough.

Need more top end players. Need the worst few to be better too.

Here's an interesting Stat.

At opening round, we were 14th by age at 24.2 years. Yeah, but thats inflated by Sloane and Smith who will be gone next year, you say?

Friday afternoon time wasting. Take out Smith, Sloane, and also McHenry, Parnell, Himmelberg and Hamill.

Replace those 6 with 6 draftees, all 19 years old.

And the important thing which can't be avoided. The other players - all 1 year older.

Our average age drops from 24.2 years to 24.0 years. Would still have us 14th.

So yeah, not sure what that proves but interesting.

At opening round, we were 14th by age at 24.2 years. Yeah, but thats inflated by Sloane and Smith who will be gone next year, you say?

Friday afternoon time wasting. Take out Smith, Sloane, and also McHenry, Parnell, Himmelberg and Hamill.

And the important thing which can't be avoided. The other players - all 1 year older.

And reality is, we might cut all those players, but we aren't getting 6 draftees. We might get Oliver. We might get a GWS free agent. We might get a ruck who has been in the system a few years, so early-mid 20's. Very likely we will be middle of the road age-wise next year, even with Sloane and Smith off our books. And Smith probably stays on, if we're being realistic.

I think that’s partly down to us doing a more gradual clear out of our older players to that of North.

Has mean we’ve been more competitive, but haven’t had as good draft picks.

Time will tell which approach was better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back