Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on. Been on about this for years.

Until the board is fully member elected, is it not a football club, and you are not a member.

Anyone still giving money to this club needs their head read.
I personally pay for the entertainment value of attending AFL games. For me my "membership " or rather season ticket is no different to any other form of entertainment.

No AFL club is truly "membership driven".

Yes other clubs have full voting rights, but the candidates are all vetted.

Us "members" getting voting rights won't change the diversity of the Board. It will still be controlled through the vetting process.
Will still be very "Adelaide", the city not club.

Real membership is at an amateur club. Individual volunteers can make a difference there, if you want to.

We are talking about a professional sporting club and a coach earning $500k a year, in his 5th year and still yet to deliver a pass mark. He hasn't earnt another year at all.

Would you give Clarkson a pass mark for this year, or would you say he inherited a bottom 4 list?

Last year was a pass mark for Nicks, no one expected a top 8 tilt.

Would you give Clarkson a pass mark for this year, or would you say he inherited a bottom 4 list?

Possibly I would for Clarkson given he has got games into younger players and it is his second year. Next year the expectation increase.andnit increases every year after that.

Nicksy is at the end of his 5th year. I think after three years you target has to be finals. We gave Nicks a year's grace but he hasn't delivered.

I think length of time is important in terms of player development. I think after five years the message gets a bit the same when you are not winning.

Us "members" getting voting rights won't change the diversity of the Board.

What it does is change the commitment level of the candidates.

The process of lobbying and running an election campaign, speaking to members and asking for their vote, on your own time and your own dime, is in itself, its own vetting process.

Sure, you’ll still get self-interested clowns running for the positions, only in it for themselves. But at least they have to sacrifice something up front.

Our board members sacrifice nothing. They aren’t committed to the club, they have almost zero personal investment in the outcome because they did nothing to get the position and they’re not even held accountable once they have it.

They get a phone call because they’re well connected, and then they get a position for life.

Its f*cking putrid.

Last edited:

Inherited a bottom 4 list
Clarkson ✅
Nicks ❌

Is a proven successful coach
Clarkson ✅
Nicks ❌

Would consider almost making finals but not really a pass
Clarkson ❌
Nicks ✅

You’re all overlooking an obvious flaw in sacking Nicks.

It means that same board signs off on a new coach.
Im not sure worrying about the possible performance of a new coach is a reason to keep the old one

Board has to go.

Then, and only then, can there be faith in the search for a new coach.

I just can’t believe supporters are happy to go on like this.

If you aren’t calling for the aggressive sackings of board members, you have exactly the club you deserve right now.
I aint ****ing waiting to 2028 to be rid of Nicks!!!

Spot on. Been on about this for years.

Until the board is fully member elected, is it not a football club, and you are not a member.

Anyone still giving money to this club needs their head read.
The AFL don't care about our on field performances, they care about three things only and these are their KPI's, attendances, viewers, revenue. It's all us rusted on supporters that keep giving them big ticks on those three regardless of on field performances.

AFL would much rather a big Vic club or a northern club make finals than us. They control the board to deliver on their big three KPIs.

I’ll give Nicks this (and only this). At least he called Hinkley out for Houston’s dog act.
Couldn't give a sh*t about that, I'm giving Nicks nothing, after five years has led us to 15th.

I don't get the outrage about Houston as Rankine did the same dog act and got his four weeks. You can't be outraged at one and not the other.

You’re all overlooking an obvious flaw in sacking Nicks.

It means that same board signs off on a new coach.
Since we're stuck with them though, they should sack Nicks. At least there is a chance those idiots will stumble into a correct decision on a new coaching appointment. Worst case scenario is they pick another dud and we're no worse off than we are right now.

The AFL don't care about our on field performances, they care about three things only and these are their KPI's, attendances, viewers, revenue. It's all us rusted on supporters that keep giving them big ticks on those three regardless of on field performances.

AFL would much rather a big Vic club or a northern club make finals than us. They control the board to deliver on their big three KPIs.
The last thing the V-AFL would like to see is most of interstate clubs competing in the finals every year, squeezing out most of the Victorian based clubs. I remember their review of Victorian footy some time ago the last time this looked like happening. Yet when very few interstate clubs make the finals year after year - no investigation required.

The last thing the V-AFL would like to see is most of interstate clubs competing in the finals every year, squeezing out most of the Victorian based clubs. I remember their review of Victorian footy some time ago the last time this looked like happening. Yet when very few interstate clubs make the finals year after year - no investigation required.
This was back in the 2000s?

Board has to go.

Then, and only then, can there be faith in the search for a new coach.

I just can’t believe supporters are happy to go on like this.

If you aren’t calling for the aggressive sackings of board members, you have exactly the club you deserve right now.

Now please explain how we sack the board members under the Constitution?

We don’t have the power until 2028.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was back in the 2000s?
2007 ish onwards.
They did a review into the state of Victorian football, how dare those "interstaters" win too much.

Quotes of a certain CEO of the competition, if you'd believe it..

"But really when you get to a part of the season where two Victorian clubs are 0-8 - I can't remember the last time that happened - that says something, that's not great.

"We've believed it is a cycle, but history is now starting to go against that belief."

"The fact of the matter is, eight of our last 11 premiers have been non-Victorian and our last three grand finals have been two non-Victorian teams"
"It's great for the national game, but ... the Western Bulldogs haven't won a grand final in over 50 years, Geelong and St Kilda in over 40 years.
"There is something going on in Victorian football that is not just cyclical and we've undertaken some work on it."

Also spoke about fans of Vic clubs might stop supporting if non-Vic clubs win too much.

And hey, guess what?
Geelong, Bulldogs but add Melbourne, Richmond all won premierships since then and we know the umpiring also involved in some of those breakthroughs.

Question for the Nicks supporters. Assume Nicks wasn’t our coach and was the coach of a competing club and had the same record there, what would your thoughts be about him then?

A) he’s awesome and I’m an idiot
B) look at that shit club re-signing him early
C) thank **** he’s not our coach
D) B&C

I’ll go D.

So WaynesWorld19 you’ll reassess at the end of the year, one game to go which is bound to be a loss, what’s your thoughts on Nicks now with 15th locked in?

Still think it was a good move to sign him for 2 years after 1 round?

Still think we risked having him poached?
Fair enough with one game to go

I did say, I wanted to see how Nicks handled the adversity of the main post injury period ......it's a tick for me, and also it's only the ignorant footy boozy barrackers on BigFooty that even talk about Nicks tenure ....not one other entity, including the dumb-arse Rowe is discussing it

There's no doubt, West Coast would be knocking on Nicks door, if he wasn't re-signed .....irrespective, that wasn't any more than a minor consideration ....he deserved the extra 2 years:

1. He plays a Finals brand of footy ....competitive, and never give up

2. There's zero doubt Nicks has the players .....you don't get the competitiveness if you haven't got the players

3. We are seeing every Club go thru 3-5 games of poor footy ....BRIS, COLL early ....CARL, SYD, WB, and the ever reliable flakey ESS
So are all those Coaches bad, should they be sacked ? .....or do "key" injuries play a bigger part than you're prepared to credit?

4. We still have a young list .....injuries to Thilthorpe, Murray, Rankine ect, impact us more than mature teams

I said, you judge a Coach on what he does with the list available to him :whitecheck: ......you can argue the timing of playing rookies, it's really a waste of time whether it's R5 or R15 ....makes no diff to a player's career

If you actually study Clubs playing of Rookies .....some rooks play early, then fade to not be seen again ...and then you have players like GEEL's Humphrey, and Mannagh play quite late in the season and perform well

I liked playing Curtin and Taylor in the MID against PORT ...even though, Curtin's a long way off being an AFL Mid, and even though we were being torn apart by PORT's Midfield

Its very concerning we are going to go in this draft with Nicks at the helm.

I get we've done work and he doesn't have the final say, but he still has input.

Don't get me wrong, its not just Nicks, its Roo, Oligivy and Reid that makes it more concerning.
Utter tripe !

Curtin, Taylor, Toby & Nick Murray, Bond, Worrell, Cook, Hinge, Keane, Oscar Ryan, Soligo, Pedlar, Thilthorpe ect .....no good accoring to you, because of who was involved in their drafting / trading

If you want perfection in Drafting & Trading .....don't follow sport ....you won't find it

Fair enough with one game to go

I did say, I wanted to see how Nicks handled the adversity of the main post injury period ......it's a tick for me, and also it's only the ignorant footy boozy barrackers on BigFooty that even talk about Nicks tenure ....not one other entity, including the dumb-arse Rowe is discussing it

There's no doubt, West Coast would be knocking on Nicks door, if he wasn't re-signed .....irrespective, that wasn't any more than a minor consideration ....he deserved the extra 2 years:

1. He plays a Finals brand of footy ....competitive, and never give up

2. There's zero doubt Nicks has the players .....you don't get the competitiveness if you haven't got the players

3. We are seeing every Club go thru 3-5 games of poor footy ....BRIS, COLL early ....CARL, SYD, WB, and the ever reliable flakey ESS
So are all those Coaches bad, should they be sacked ? .....or do "key" injuries play a bigger part than you're prepared to credit?

4. We still have a young list .....injuries to Thilthorpe, Murray, Rankine ect, impact us more than mature teams

I said, you judge a Coach on what he does with the list available to him :whitecheck: ......you can argue the timing of playing rookies, it's really a waste of time whether it's R5 or R15 ....makes no diff to a player's career

If you actually study Clubs playing of Rookies .....some rooks play early, then fade to not be seen again ...and then you have players like GEEL's Humphrey, and Mannagh play quite late in the season and perform well

I liked playing Curtin and Taylor in the MID against PORT ...even though, Curtin's a long way off being an AFL Mid, and even though we were being torn apart by PORT's Midfield
lol, you realise he was discussed on Footy Classified last night? So that’s your first fail.

After the bye we are 4:4, we wouldn’t make the finals of we kept that 50-50 record up, didn’t you expect to play finals and said the last thing to see was whether he was a finals coach? Now you’ve ticked that off whilst we are 15th, hmmm.

Did he only started playing kids and dropping has been senior players once the season was done?

Did any of those other coaches go rogue bonkers this year? Those coaches have all made finals, Nicks has not shown he’s capable of it.

Has Nicks in his 5th year made numerous mistakes? Are you ok with accepting those?

Question for the Nicks supporters. Assume Nicks wasn’t our coach and was the coach of a competing club and had the same record there, what would your thoughts be about him then?

A) he’s awesome and I’m an idiot
B) look at that shit club re-signing him early
C) thank **** he’s not our coach
D) B&C
E) wouldn’t give a shit

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back