Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you give Clarkson a pass mark for this year, or would you say he inherited a bottom 4 list?

Last year was a pass mark for Nicks, no one expected a top 8 tilt.

Given that most rebuilding coaches are lucky to get 3 years before getting sacked, what metric are you basing your assessment that not making the finals in 4 seasons is a pass mark?

Why do most other coaches get sacked after 3 seasons if you believe that making the finals after 4 seasons is unrealistic?

The club has tried a few times to compare Nicks to Thompson and Hardwick, but after five seasons

Hardwick 48% W/L record - 2 finals series
Thompson 49% W/L record - 2 finals series
Nicks 35% W/L record - 0 finals

In time we'll look back on the Nicks era as one that should have ended at the end of 2022.

Utter tripe !

Curtin, Taylor, Toby & Nick Murray, Bond, Worrell, Cook, Hinge, Keane, Oscar Ryan, Soligo, Pedlar, Thilthorpe ect .....no good accoring to you, because of who was involved in their drafting / trading

If you want perfection in Drafting & Trading .....don't follow sport ....you won't find it
I don't want perfection, I'm just concerned having a coach that could be punted mid season picking a player we need for longer term success.

I'm also dubious they know how to identify elite midfield talent.

lol, you realise he was discussed on Footy Classified last night? So that’s your first fail.

After the bye we are 4:4, we wouldn’t make the finals of we kept that 50-50 record up, didn’t you expect to play finals and said the last thing to see was whether he was a finals coach? Now you’ve ticked that off whilst we are 15th, hmmm.

Did he only started playing kids and dropping has been senior players once the season was done?

Did any of those other coaches go rogue bonkers this year? Those coaches have all made finals, Nicks has not shown he’s capable of it.

Has Nicks in his 5th year made numerous mistakes? Are you ok with accepting those?

The moment he said that West Coast would have gone after Nicks if he was unsigned I stopped reading.

He's literally just taking the piss and hoping someone will bite.

I don't want perfection, I'm just concerned having a coach that could be punted mid season picking a player we need for longer term success.

I'm also dubious they know how to identify elite midfield talent.
Yeah, like the ones I named .....huge failure huh?

You have to be joking to say the club can identify talent in all positions bar the Midfield ......silly isn't it when you think about it for a moment

Now please explain how we sack the board members under the Constitution?

We don’t have the power until 2028.

Maybe 2028, I don't think it happens automatically.

I think the wording is something like the club 'may' become member controlled (not AFL) ie. it has to come from our Board to change our Constitution,

Can you imagine the Buffoons on our Board voluntarily opening themselves up to scrutiny/accountability??

Fingers crossed but I can't see the media helping put the pressure on, not a big enough issue for them to care about.

I find it interesting, the ignorant vitriol towards Nicks has been devoid of any thinking rationale .....simply comments "he's ****"

I even love Kane McGoodwin POV that he will not be attending another Crows game until Nicks is sacked ....does anyone honestly believe that infantile statement .....of course he's attending games

Every Club has supporters, that on a losing streak, want everyone connected to the club sacked .....it's what social media has become, a place to vent .....not actually to think, or discuss

George Kramer went on for 10 years about David Mackay .....ultimately he was right ....he retired, after knocking back an offer for another season

Yes, ultimately Nicks, as all Coaches, will be sacked .....but it's not this year, as many suggested .....and I highly doubt it'll be next year

If I was a betting man, I could clean up on this board

I find it interesting, the ignorant vitriol towards Nicks has been devoid of any thinking rationale .....simply comments "he's ****"

I even love Kane McGoodwin POV that he will not be attending another Crows game until Nicks is sacked ....does anyone honestly believe that infantile statement .....of course he's attending games

Every Club has supporters, that on a losing streak, want everyone connected to the club sacked .....it's what social media has become, a place to vent .....not actually to think, or discuss

George Kramer went on for 10 years about David Mackay .....ultimately he was right ....he retired, after knocking back an offer for another season

Yes, ultimately Nicks, as all Coaches, will be sacked .....but it's not this year, as many suggested .....and I highly doubt it'll be next year

As you seem to forget, he was extended after we lost our first game. That in itself deserves an explanation from the club, if you are prepared to extend him after one game then why wasn’t it done in the preseason.

I’ll give you a hint, he was re-signed pre-season but they were waiting for the right moment to announce. They weren’t expecting to lose to GC and thought with a home game against Geelong that it would provide a kick along. The problem is they didn’t the season would start like it did.

The certainty in season 2025 is he will be the one coach who will be under the pump.

Brilliant stuff Pete ....outstanding thinking piece

If you have to think about it any more than that, you’re doing it wrong.

Even if you are being charitable, his record instantly disqualifies him — based on all the available metrics in the game’s entire history.

Nobody has survived a record like that. Not one person.

Let alone having another two years locked in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough with one game to go

I did say, I wanted to see how Nicks handled the adversity of the main post injury period ......it's a tick for me, and also it's only the ignorant footy boozy barrackers on BigFooty that even talk about Nicks tenure ....not one other entity, including the dumb-arse Rowe is discussing it

There's no doubt, West Coast would be knocking on Nicks door, if he wasn't re-signed .....irrespective, that wasn't any more than a minor consideration ....he deserved the extra 2 years:

1. He plays a Finals brand of footy ....competitive, and never give up

2. There's zero doubt Nicks has the players .....you don't get the competitiveness if you haven't got the players

3. We are seeing every Club go thru 3-5 games of poor footy ....BRIS, COLL early ....CARL, SYD, WB, and the ever reliable flakey ESS
So are all those Coaches bad, should they be sacked ? .....or do "key" injuries play a bigger part than you're prepared to credit?

4. We still have a young list .....injuries to Thilthorpe, Murray, Rankine ect, impact us more than mature teams

I said, you judge a Coach on what he does with the list available to him :whitecheck: ......you can argue the timing of playing rookies, it's really a waste of time whether it's R5 or R15 ....makes no diff to a player's career

If you actually study Clubs playing of Rookies .....some rooks play early, then fade to not be seen again ...and then you have players like GEEL's Humphrey, and Mannagh play quite late in the season and perform well

I liked playing Curtin and Taylor in the MID against PORT ...even though, Curtin's a long way off being an AFL Mid, and even though we were being torn apart by PORT's Midfield

What main post injury period? All teams get injuries and we were no worse than many sides.

Couldn't give a sh*t about that, I'm giving Nicks nothing, after five years has led us to 15th.

I don't get the outrage about Houston as Rankine did the same dog act and got his four weeks. You can't be outraged at one and not the other.

What Rankine did and what Houston did are not comparable at all. Houston ran at Rankine from about row 7 for that bit.

Maybe 2028, I don't think it happens automatically.

I think the wording is something like the club 'may' become member controlled (not AFL) ie. it has to come from our Board to change our Constitution,

Can you imagine the Buffoons on our Board voluntarily opening themselves up to scrutiny/accountability??

Fingers crossed but I can't see the media helping put the pressure on, not a big enough issue for them to care about.

The other issue is they could create another type of membership - Clause 7.1 (d) (i) and Clause 7.2 (c).

As you seem to forget, he was extended after we lost our first game. That in itself deserves an explanation from the club, if you are prepared to extend him after one game then why wasn’t it done in the preseason.

I’ll give you a hint, he was re-signed pre-season but they were waiting for the right moment to announce. They weren’t expecting to lose to GC and thought with a home game against Geelong that it would provide a kick along. The problem is they didn’t the season would start like it did.

The certainty in season 2025 is he will be the one coach who will be under the pump.
As I said he would be ....and yes, it was simply a timing issue

It's just supporters who want to vent, watch most games from the bottom of a beer glass .....CARL supporters, up all year, were venting the last 5 weeks, on the thought of missing Finals

There's very little rational thinking ....social media encourages venting ....that doesn't mean it reflects reality.

All Coaches are under the pump .... Beveridge was all but gone mid year ....does anyone think Simpson couldn't coach ? ....premiership coach, that call was a reset by the club, not a statement Simpson can't coach

The Crowds at recent games, after the season is over by the Crows ....indicates a majority of people enjoy the way the Crows play ....and are optimistic

We have good reason to feel optimistic too .....we just need a reasonable run with injuries

Rankine missed 7 games
Butts missed 8 games
Luke Pedlar missed19 games
Thilthorpe missed 16 games
Murray missed 14 games

They are key structural players

As I said he would be ....and yes, it was simply a timing issue

It's just supporters who want to vent, watch most games from the bottom of a beer glass .....CARL supporters, up all year, were venting the last 5 weeks, on the thought of missing Finals

There's very little rational thinking ....social media encourages venting ....that doesn't mean it reflects reality.

All Coaches are under the pump .... Beveridge was all but gone mid year ....does anyone think Simpson couldn't coach ? ....premiership coach, that call was a reset by the club, not a statement Simpson can't coach

The Crowds at recent games, after the season is over by the Crows ....indicates a majority of people enjoy the way the Crows play ....and are optimistic

We have good reason to feel optimistic too .....we just need a reasonable run with injuries

Rankine missed 7 games
Butts missed 8 games
Luke Pedlar missed19 games
Thilthorpe missed 16 games
Murray missed 14 games

They are key structural players

We had a reasonable run with injuries, it isn’t as bad as the majority of AFL sides.

You missed Milera (who isn’t best 22 now).

Rankine, Thilthorpe and Murray - the rest meh.

And we have a right to vent when we start 0-4 with minimal injuries at that point.

Beveridge and Simpson have coached teams to GFs and flags. Nicks can’t even get us into finals.

What main post injury period? All teams get injuries and we were no worse than many sides.
Injury impact depends on which players ....and which Clubs

Mature sides can absorb injuries easier than young lists ....but losing a Rankine / Thilthorpe impacts us more than MELB losing Petracca ....or COLL losing De Goey

In our rebuild, we don't yet have the depth of experienced players .....yes Burgess was a fail ....believe it or not, Sloane would have been valuable depth, no star of course

And the drop off with Laird has been remarkable ......you say why the drop-off ? .....he started losing his 2mtr speed in the 2nd half of 2023, this year though he has slowed right down

Laird can't get to the drop of the ball quickly enough now ....and when he gets the ball, has lost the breakaway speed over the first 2 mtrs .....so he getting caught or pressured

If you have to think about it any more than that, you’re doing it wrong.

Even if you are being charitable, his record instantly disqualifies him — based on all the available metrics in the game’s entire history.

Nobody has survived a record like that. Not one person.

Let alone having another two years locked in.

The only two coaches to have survived as long as Nicks has without making the finals is Alan Richardson and Dew and both were sacked in their 6th year.

You would have thought that the failure of both coaches may have served as a cautionary tale to the club about giving Nicks an extension.

Clearly not.

You find something interesting only because you lack basic comprehension skills. I’ve given numerous examples of his poor coaching and yet the only thing you’ve retained is “he’s shit”.

Not something to own Wayne.

As for DMack, yes during our heightened period of success we kept a mediocre player for a long time, kudos to you, the club and coaches.

We had a reasonable run with injuries, it isn’t as bad as the majority of AFL sides.

You missed Milera (who isn’t best 22 now).

Rankine, Thilthorpe and Murray - the rest meh.

And we have a right to vent when we start 0-4 with minimal injuries at that point.

Beveridge and Simpson have coached teams to GFs and flags. Nicks can’t even get us into finals.
You overlook the change in pecking order .....there were times Soligo was the main mid ....he should still be 3rd / 4th Mid

You don't value the loss of Worrell ?

Geesus, you keep going back to this "Nicks can't get us back into Finals" in year 5 of a rebuild .....still quoting the first 2 years of the rebuild as failure by Nicks, because he couldn't get us in the Finals those 2 years .....that is such an ignorant POV

Now if you're an ESS or CARL supporter ....you have every right to be ****** given the maturity of those two lists

The only two coaches to have survived as long as Nicks has without making the finals is Alan Richardson and Dew and both were sacked in their 6th year.

You would have thought that the failure of both coaches may have served as a cautionary tale to the club about giving Nicks an extension.

Clearly not.
Paradigms were meant to be broken .....the rules of even 15 years ago are no longer relevant

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back