Matthew Scharenberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people assuming Adelaide the club is the preferred destination and not Adelaide the state. Port might be the club to deal with, their first pick for Shcarenberg and Kennedy sounds reasonable.

I see where you're coming from but I honestly think we get reamed on this deal.

Nick Stevens? I thought they were super bitter that we didn't let them have the black and white stripes?
I think they might be over that by now lol. Especially since we let them use the prison bars in a game earlier this year from memory.

- That for the good of the game we will make a stand against trading him to the club of his choice unless we get comparable value of what he is worth on the open market and that we are prepared to offer him another contract with us or let him walk to the draft to be picked up by Carlton

Need I remind you how we got Luke Ball?
For the good of the game.... pffft..... Swings and roundabouts!!

I think they might be over that by now lol. Especially since we let them use the prison bars in a game earlier this year from memory.
I actually don't think they are over it. I mean, there seems to be an argument every few months about whether Collingwood should give up the black and white stripes...

Spoke to a friend of his brother and he said that Matt hasnt really fitted in at the Pies. One would have to guess that with him being injured for most of his time there he hasnt had the ability to really bond with the other guys. There is no replacement to playing with other guys to build a bond.

For what its worth here a trade that I wouldnt mind.
Motlop to Pies
Danger to Geelong
Scharenberg + Geelongs first pick to Adelaide.
Would hate to lose Scharenberg but Motlop would be nice. Prob need some coin for him though. Plenty of SA boys at Collingwood for him to talk to!

I know this.... But in that deal, we would be.
I think you'll find the club is quite keen on aish and anything scharenberg related would likely see him come our way. Assuming Carlton don't blow us out of the water money wise as they have no one else to spend it on

I'd rather keep berg (but I still stand by my comments that he's gone) but if we get aish coming in, without spending more. It'd be a pretty decent result

If Pies get Treloar and lose Shaz, I still think its a loss for the Pies, cos in a couple of years with Shaz pushing into the midfield a big body like that with time and space like Pendles is invaluable

Players that accumalate 30 disposals, with 25 uncontested touches every week are a dime a dozen

He was never drafted as a midfielder... Why is everyone so sure that's where he'll play?!

I think you'll find the club is quite keen on aish and anything scharenberg related would likely see him come our way. Assuming Carlton don't blow us out of the water money wise as they have no one else to spend it on

I'd rather keep berg (but I still stand by my comments that he's gone) but if we get aish coming in, without spending more. It'd be a pretty decent result

Yuck... Do not rate Aish one bit.
I'd rather put my eggs in the Treloar, Dangerfield, Carlisle basket ;)

Spoke to a friend of his brother and he said that Matt hasnt really fitted in at the Pies. One would have to guess that with him being injured for most of his time there he hasnt had the ability to really bond with the other guys. There is no replacement to playing with other guys to build a bond.

Motlop to Pies
Danger to Geelong

That would make Sense that Pre-Draft there was a Homesickness Worry but Hine thought he could overcome it with all the SA Boys we had Drafted the Year Before but with the Injuries he had. He could not Bond with them and the Homesickness problem got worse:cry:

That would make Sense that Pre-Draft there was a Homesickness Worry but Hine thought he could overcome it with all the SA Boys we had Drafted the Year Before but with the Injuries he had. He could not Bond with them and the Homesickness problem got worse:cry:

How do you know there was a homesickness worry? Source?

Motlop to Pies
Danger to Geelong

Throw your 2nd round to us and that looks reasonable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you know there was a homesickness worry? Source?

It was said on the SEN Draft Coverage.

I have the File but not on this computer.

I will get it up today for you

What happened with Nathan Freeman? Have we already got him on a new contract?

Similar situation between him and Scharenberg, contract, age and place in the team wise.

If we've already signed Freeman while Scharenberg is still off talks then that's concerning.

Motlop to Pies
Danger to Geelong
Danger walks as an RFA. Geelong give up nothing except a fair whack out of their TPP. UNLESS Adelaide match the offer and then trade.

If Pies get Treloar and lose Shaz, I still think its a loss for the Pies, cos in a couple of years with Shaz pushing into the midfield a big body like that with time and space like Pendles is invaluable

Players that accumalate 30 disposals, with 25 uncontested touches every week are a dime a dozen

On what I have seen at VFL and AFL level so far that describes Sharenbergs ceiling for now. Maybe he has other aspects to the game he hasnt shown yet. For now he picks up uncontested possies, handball receives, sideway kicks etc. Not winning contested footy or his own possessions at this stage.

Let's not invent scenarios since none of us know the facts.

The Age wrote last week that Scharenberg had warmed up to Ben Reid during their time in rehab together, so I don't buy that he hasn't "bonded with the playing group." Reid's a senior figure at the club and well respected, and if he's taken Scharenberg under his wing, I'm not sure what better introduction a kid can have at a new club.

Having said all that, I'd be filthy if Scharenberg chose to leave.

We spent two years getting his body sorted, and judging from his comments in the media about wanting to get senior games and sounding impatient, I'm not too impressed. He was clearly frustrated at playing VFL this year, he thought he deserved more senior games. Maybe he did, but a teenager surely knows he's in development mode and that he's going to be a key, regular part of our senior side for years to come.

What's his problem? Attitude?

Surely not homesickness. He's moved from Adelaide to Melbourne (which many young Adelaiders do anyway), not Adelaide to London. It's a 1 hour flight FFS.

Whatever it is, I'd be bitterly upset if he walks and I'd be asking questions why our full-time recruiters and scouts, who invest a lot of time profiling such talent, would not have been able to detect a preference to stay in SA. Or why our club culture, which is designed to create a home feel for players who are away from home, failed in this instance.

Scharenberg/Freeman are akin to our Pendles/Thomas 2005 pickups. These are the kids that we chose to be our core team for the next decade. Retaining them is more important for our long-term planning and future premiership chances than many think. If Scharenberg does walk, we cannot afford to have him walk without equitable compensation. No 2nd round pick, and absolutely not allowing him to walk into the draft.

Danger walks as an RFA. Geelong give up nothing except a fair whack out of their TPP. UNLESS Adelaide match the offer and then trade.

Adelaide should do it. They have been absolutely bled dry by the competition - Davis, Bock, Gunston - without firing a shot. If Geelong can fit Dangerfield in their cap, Adelaide certainly can. Geelong have already pissed off a number of players and the last thing they want is to have guys like Motlop or Johnson leave and go home from dance without the prom queen.

Motlop to Pies
Danger to Geelong
Whats in it for Geelong. They give up Motlop and their 1st rounder for nothing as they can get Danger without trading as a RFA.

I've got no doubt if it does come to him leaving that our stance will be much the same as it was when Beams left, if not actually stronger.

Beams was an integral part of our side and our future, so we had to make sure he was adequately replaced (or as well as he could be in the circumstances).

Scharenberg on the other hand has played 5 quarters. Although he's arguably important to our future, we can afford to hang him out to dry. Not trade him, force him into the PSD, etc. Let him know that he's not bigger than the club. Let him feel disposable.

It's up to Adelaide to offer up something of value if they want him. Otherwise I fully expect that Port would take him with their pick which will be lower.

That will make Adelaide think 'oh, maybe we'll have to take him with pick 11 if Port don't take him with pick 8' and Port will think 'we better take him with pick 8 in case Adelaide take him with pick 11'... The result? They end up trading it to us and getting it done a month earlier.

Forcing Shaz into the PSD denies the realities of modern trading and condemns the Pies. Remember it is important the playing list believes they are at the club that will take their interested into account. We will try to trade Treloar in and if Shaz wants to go we will trade the other way. Hanging one player out to dry will have an effect potentially on other players . May turn back on us.

Let's not invent scenarios since none of us know the facts.

The Age wrote last week that Scharenberg had warmed up to Ben Reid during their time in rehab together, so I don't buy that he hasn't "bonded with the playing group." Reid's a senior figure at the club and well respected, and if he's taken Scharenberg under his wing, I'm not sure what better introduction a kid can have at a new club.

Having said all that, I'd be filthy if Scharenberg chose to leave.

We spent two years getting his body sorted, and judging from his comments in the media about wanting to get senior games and sounding impatient, I'm not too impressed. He was clearly frustrated at playing VFL this year, he thought he deserved more senior games. Maybe he did, but a teenager surely knows he's in development mode and that he's going to be a key, regular part of our senior side for years to come.

What's his problem? Attitude?

Surely not homesickness. He's moved from Adelaide to Melbourne (which many young Adelaiders do anyway), not Adelaide to London. It's a 1 hour flight FFS.

Whatever it is, I'd be bitterly upset if he walks and I'd be asking questions why our full-time recruiters and scouts, who invest a lot of time profiling such talent, would not have been able to detect a preference to stay in SA. Or why our club culture, which is designed to create a home feel for players who are away from home, failed in this instance.

Scharenberg/Freeman are akin to our Pendles/Thomas 2005 pickups. These are the kids that we chose to be our core team for the next decade. Retaining them is more important for our long-term planning and future premiership chances than many think. If Scharenberg does walk, we cannot afford to have him walk without equitable compensation. No 2nd round pick, and absolutely not allowing him to walk into the draft.
Excellent yarn

I have no idea if he is staying or going but if he was going and the crows got a pick 4 to 5 compo pick for danger and offered that for sharenberg and a 3rd round pick would you take it? and who would be there to draft around pick 4 or 5??

Here was I thinking we have just spent two years doing that.
Well if he leaves being a pick 6 it would undo any good we've put in to the last two years. When you draft young you need to all to stay together or it becomes a mess and sort of a semi rebuild and could leave us in a middle of table club rather than a decent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back