Matthew Scharenberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be interesting to see how the trade pans out if that scenario eventuates. Geelong wouldn't have any intention of paying market value after budgeting to get him for nothing but cap space

Be funny if they did and he said ok thanks, I'm staying:D
Yeah but I think the Crows want him. Whatever your paying him if worth every cent.

Just take a look at his highlights v Essendon and you would almost sacrifice a limb just to get him to your club he is that good.

Any team he goes to either Geelong or Pies goes into premiership calculations if goes there

No one top my knowledge has matched an offer at this point. Maybe for Danger you would take that risk but if he wants to go and is blocked may backfire still on Adelaide. FA is the way of the world now and clubs know that. I suspect if Danger comes out and says he is off Adelaide wont block. He can put himself into PSD with a big offer attached and other clubs may not bite.

The idea that the settlement is merely an eventual and reluctant acceptance by the exiting club of the proposal put forward by the acquiring club is all wrong imv.

In this case, Adelaide want to get a better deal than a compensation pick of @13. If it was just Dangerfield then maybe this would past muster, but they have been raided so often in recent years that I think they've probably had it up to pussy's bow.

I reckon they have provisioned enough money for Dangerfield to fit into their cap with a view to matching Geelong's offer. If Dangerfield wants to go, that is neither here nor there for Adelaide. They can match that offer and keep Dangerfield, or seek a better return than pick 13.

As a club I'd be staking out this position before the end of the season. We want Dangerfield, he's integral to our future, and we'll do whatever we can to keep him.

No one top my knowledge has matched an offer at this point. Maybe for Danger you would take that risk but if he wants to go and is blocked may backfire still on Adelaide. FA is the way of the world now and clubs know that. I suspect if Danger comes out and says he is off Adelaide wont block. He can put himself into PSD with a big offer attached and other clubs may not bite.

From an NBA perspective teams regularly match for restricted FA's... But they have a different culture around player movement. (and they also dont have compo picks).

I think whether or not adelaide matches comes largely down to Geelongs offer.
If its a godfather offer (lets say over 1.1m/yr then Adelaide let him walk)... But anything less than that you would strongly consider, and if its relatively cheap (<800k) i would match it in a heartbeat... And back yourself in that with the direction the club is taking, and the leadership around, that even if Danger is 'forced' to stay, his attitude doesnt become a problem...coz i reckon even an unhappy Danger is worth 800.

They can match the offer and if Danger knocks it back, he can then be traded.
I thought his option was either accept or go into the preseason draft. Never heard there was an option to knock back and then trade. Would mean the PSD would become irrelevent as it would be in neither the clubs or players interest to activate that. Don't think trading Danger is an option once he opts to go RFA.

Can that be done though. I thought the options in that case were either Danger accepts the matched offer or goes to the PSD. Doubt there is an option where he signs the new contact with Adelaide and they are thereafter able to trade him.

Yeah thats my understanding.
Once he accepts a geelong offer, he must accept Adelaide matching it... Thats how RFA works. (i didnt even know he had a chance to go the PSD at that point)... But im pretty sure there's no ability to sign-and-trade in the AFLs rules.

Thats why the only way for Geelong (or us) to garauntee getting him is to either make a godfather contract offer that adelaide cant/wont match, or force a trade... I don't think you can let it get to the point of adelaidr matching an offer.

Yeah thats my understanding.
Once he accepts a geelong offer, he must accept Adelaide matching it... Thats how RFA works. (i didnt even know he had a chance to go the PSD at that point)... But im pretty sure there's no ability to sign-and-trade in the AFLs rules.

Thats why the only way for Geelong (or us) to garauntee getting him is to either make a godfather contract offer that adelaide cant/wont match, or force a trade... I don't think you can let it get to the point of adelaidr matching an offer.

Surely if Adelaide match the offer and he is forced to remain in their list they can then decide to trade him.

This will always come up as an issue until the AFL fixes FA. How teams like Melbourne, (and now Brisbane with Martin) can get a compo pick of pick 2, which is so overs it rediculous, while teams like Hawthorn and Adelaide can lose a top 10 player in the game and get a pick like 14 or 18 is mental.
My idea is that the AFL get all list managers from each club to put a value (pick wise) on each player who leaves via FA and the average value is what the AFL compensates with.
No better way to work out the market value.
The other often talked option and where it will go with time is you dont get any compo for a player. Argument is the team has already had the players services for many seasosn so no need for compo other than freeing salary space.

Compo was bought in to soften FA for supporters and clubs. Very likely to disappear with time

The other often talked option and where it will go with time is you dont get any compo for a player. Argument is the team has already had the players services for many seasosn so no need for compo other than freeing salary space.

Compo was bought in to soften FA for supporters and clubs. Very likely to disappear with time

Then like in America’s Sport. Teams can Trade Players without the Players Concent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely if Adelaide match the offer and he is forced to remain in their list they can then decide to trade him.
If Danger signs a matched offer of say 4 years why would Adelaide want to trade him. He has then agreed to stay. If they had a backroom agreement to match but then trade they would be tampering.

If Danger signs a matched offer of say 4 years why would Adelaide want to trade him. He has then agreed to stay. If they had a backroom agreement to match but then trade they would be tampering.
Crows may agree to match, he doesn't have to sign.
At this point Crows agree to trade him or let him go in the draft(s).
Crows would only agree to match if he was going to stay or to force a trade and get a better deal.

Last edited:
Cats may agree to match, he doesn't have to sign.
At this point Crows agree to trade him or let him go in the draft(s).
Crows would only agree to match if he was going to stay or to force a trade and get a better deal.
Cats cant agree to match that is Adelaides step. Geelong makes an offer. Danger then says he wants to take up the offer. Adelaides option then is let him go or match it. If they match it Danger has the option to accept and stay or refuse and go to PSD.

Dont see how Adelaide then trades Danger if ha accepts their offer. If he accepts he stays a Crow

With a Restricted FA like Danger, the offer from Geelong will be given to Adelaide and they have to option to match or not match. If its just a matter of money and Danger is happy to stay at Adelaide with the matched offer then he stays. (FA was in part brought in to get players more money).
If he wants to still go as Adelaide have agreed to match his pay he is no longer a FA and becomes just like any other out of contract player. So he is traded or goes into the PSD.
So its up to Adelaide if he goes to Geelong for nothing other than a compo pick, or if Geelong have to trade for him.

It'll be interesting to see how the trade pans out if that scenario eventuates. Geelong wouldn't have any intention of paying market value after budgeting to get him for nothing but cap space
There wonjt be any trade. He either accepts or goes to PSD.

CAts cant agree to match that is Adelaides step. Geelong makes an offer. Danger then says he wants to take up the offer. Adelaides option then is let him go or match it. If they match it Danger has the option to accept and stay or refuse and go to PSD.

Dont see how Adelaide then trades Danger if ha accepts their offer. If he accepts he stays a Crow
Typo - I've fixed it

With a Restricted FA like Danger, the offer from Geelong will be given to Adelaide and they have to option to match or not match. If its just a matter of money and Danger is happy to stay at Adelaide with the matched offer then he stays. (FA was in part brought in to get players more money).
If he wants to still go as Adelaide have agreed to match his pay he is no longer a FA and becomes just like any other out of contract player. So he is traded or goes into the PSD.
So its up to Adelaide if he goes to Geelong for nothing other than a compo pick, or if Geelong have to trade for him.
Wrong. If he knocks back the matched offer he goes to the PSD. No trade.

CAts cant agree to match that is Adelaides step. Geelong makes an offer. Danger then says he wants to take up the offer. Adelaides option then is let him go or match it. If they match it Danger has the option to accept and stay or refuse and go to PSD.

If he refuses their offer to match they can negotiate a trade.

There wonjt be any trade. He either accepts or goes to PSD.
Really? Ok, it was my understanding that tradings an option when an offer is matched, apparently not

Wrong. If he knocks back the matched offer he goes to the PSD. No trade.
Nah your wrong dude.
From the Age newspaper.
WHAT IS FREE AGENCY:

* A player has served seven seasons or fewer of AFL football at one club, and is now out of contract.

The player is not eligible for free agency if his club wishes to retain him. He may only move clubs via a trade or the draft. If he delists himself, he is subject to the draft, and may be selected by any club.
A player has served seven seasons or fewer of AFL football at one club, and has been delisted by his club.

The player is a free agent and is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

The player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

The player can move automatically to the new club of his choice.

His original club, which chose to delist him, does not receive any compensation pick for the loss of the player.

* A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is one of the top 25 per cent highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service. (restricted free agent):

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

His club has the right to match the presented offer.

If the club matches the offer, he may choose to remain with his original club, seek a trade or enter the draft.

If the club does not or can not match the offer, the player can move to the new club of his choice.
His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back