Matthew Scharenberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

'Must stay or enter the draft'. In other words, there is no compulsion for a player to stay at a club who decides to match an offer. In this instance if PD wants to get to Geelong, he has to enter the draft.
That was never in contention. What was was whether the club had an option to trade one a matched offer was refused or whether the payer had to go to the draft. I mistakenly thought they had to go to the draft.

That was never in contention. What was was whether the club had an option to trade one a matched offer was refused or whether the payer had to go to the draft. I mistakenly thought they had to go to the draft.

It's the whole discussion. Crows match a Cats' Dangerfield offer and he stays a crow. From there, the Cats, and others, have to decide what they offer in a trade for Dangerfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the whole discussion. Crows match a Cats' Dangerfield offer and he stays a crow. From there, the Cats, and others, have to decide what they offer in a trade for Dangerfield.
Well it wasnt what I was discussing. Always agreed Danger could refuse a matched offer from Adelaide. My discussion was whether he could then seek a trade or had to go to the draft.

He is one player, and whilst it will be disappointing if he leaves, it is hardly going to lead to the demise of our list. The order a player is drafted becomes less relevant every year. Marsh and Langdon were also taken in that draft and are proving at this stage to be better picks.
Marsh and Langdon are playing above where they are picked but aren't stars. Id argue we are just building an average middle of the road list for the future rather than a winning great one. Scharenberg leaves it will set us back in pack.

Does anyone on this forum think Sharanberg might stay?
Interesting that our club has not commented at all on the chanel 10 news article.
I think if he gets selected this week in the seniors there is a good chance he stays.
If he dosent under the circumstances say goodbye!

Does anyone on this forum think Sharanberg might stay?
Interesting that our club has not commented at all on the chanel 10 news article.
I think if he gets selected this week in the seniors there is a good chance he stays.
If he dosent under the circumstances say goodbye!
I don't think theres any point in the club commenting. What are they going to say other than we are in negotiations and are hopeful that he stays. We all know that already

I can't see him being worth that with the injury history and just average form since he came back. I have yet to see anything from him at AFL level to suggest he is going to be anything other than an accumulator off a HB flank. Hasn't shown much inclination to win his own ball and poor defensively. A lot from his draft have gone by him in performance. Obviously he had some special qualities as a youngster but I haven't seen that myself.

If he nominates Adelaide and with the above in mind his value will be reduced significantly from what it was on draft day. Playing devils advocate if I was Adelaide I would be offering their 2nd rounder. That will get it done in the end. We won't let him walk especially if we are getting Treloar in similar circumstances

Yeah I think that's unlikely but we will see in time. If it was a 2nd rounder I would send him to the PSD as its a poor draft and I'd play bluff with Crows. I think it's more likely he will be used in a deal for Trelaor in the end.

Hine gets deals done and has a decent history of getting a good outcome in a bad situation.

We won't get pick 8 or thereabouts for Shaz. Just because we might cry if he left doesn't mean other clubs are going to do us any favours. He is hardly held his value from his draft year and clubs will under pay rather than over pay if they don't have an appropriate pick. I really rated shaz at draft time but its not realistic to think we will get a top ten pick for him if he decides to walk. Hopefully he stays.

I like to take my Collingwood glasses off, I'd be over the moon if we get 5-10, in fact I'd be amazed.

Yeah I just think for Crows to get him they will have to pay. Hine and CfC cannot afford for this kid to walk for to little so if he does walk my view is Crows will find it harder than they think.

Well it wasnt what I was discussing. Always agreed Danger could refuse a matched offer from Adelaide. My discussion was whether he could then seek a trade or had to go to the draft.

And as I have said GC, they aren't separate questions but part of the same suite of Free Agency rules. They are inter-related and part of a continuum.

So if Geelong are matched by the Crows for the services of PD, he is a listed Crows player and a suitable trade must be found. You seem to have conceded this already above so not sure what you're splitting hairs about.

We won't get pick 8 or thereabouts for Shaz. Just because we might cry if he left doesn't mean other clubs are going to do us any favours. He is hardly held his value from his draft year and clubs will under pay rather than over pay if they don't have an appropriate pick. I really rated shaz at draft time but its not realistic to think we will get a top ten pick for him if he decides to walk. Hopefully he stays.
He will eventually become one of the best back 6 players in the afl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back