Mattner Dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

good decision i reckon. I admit he has been played out of position (for God knows why) but he can't afford to only play decent in ONe position (wing) and ridiculously CRAP in any other position.

Definitely shouldn't be in defense but his ability to adapt has been atrocious. Not every player gets to play in his preferred position. Suck it up (as I'm sure he has) and make an impact whatever position you play in.

He got smashed by Ebert in bad conditions. I can't believe how bad his reaction time is. There is no way he is slower than Ebert and most of his direct opponents, yet he time and time again gives his opponent a 5 metre head start before he even takes off. His decision making is sub standard as well.

Definitely needs an extended spell IMO.

good decision i reckon. I admit he has been played out of position (for God knows why) but he can't afford to only play decent in ONe position (wing) and ridiculously CRAP in any other position.

Definitely shouldn't be in defense but his ability to adapt has been atrocious. Not every player gets to play in his preferred position. Suck it up (as I'm sure he has) and make an impact whatever position you play in.

He got smashed by Ebert in bad conditions. I can't believe how bad his reaction time is. There is no way he is slower than Ebert and most of his direct opponents, yet he time and time again gives his opponent a 5 metre head start before he even takes off. His decision making is sub standard as well.

Definitely needs an extended spell IMO.
Mattner is our best wingman. Fullstop.

Not like theres 3 wingman going for 2 spots.

Mattner has had a poor year. Yes, I agree that he should never have been moved to defence in the first place, he was always a far better player on the wing, but still, you play where the team needs you. Like Shirley and Doughty it was a fair decision to drop him based on form. I only wonder if Drummond would be so annoyed if Pfeiffer was the one taking his place, or Campbell. :D

Spot on

So Neil Craig must be a complete dud then playing Mattner back there after seeing him carving them up down the wing when we were flying.

Drummonds right, must be that Craig has suddenly forgotten how he got all of his success last two years , rather than Craig being forced to rob Peter to pay Paul the whole year to cover the holes in our side game after game from outs to key big men since the finals last year due to injuries.

Mattners being played out of position because our whole make up is patchwork at the moment.
Have we had even one game where we havent had forced outgoings and key big men missing?

**** some of you guys turn on the coach faster than a 'Choco for Baghdad' Power supporter.

Why does every thread have to descend into a Drummond discussion? Seriously! FFS. People seem to be basing their opinions around what he said.

OMG DRUMMOND LYKS NORWOOD HEEPZ!! Yes! We get it! Its getting boring! He's overtly biased to his detriment, but his posts are a lot more interesting than the rest of the bland/blind AFC supporting on this board. The second the game is on is a different matter. But on this board people can and should have different opinions, even if they are unnecessarily negative.

Spot on. It isn't about MM, its about the AFC. The best we can get out of Mattner is on the wing, the best player for the wing is Mattner, so play him there!

Why does every thread have to descend into a Drummond discussion? Seriously! FFS. People seem to be basing their opinions around what he said.

OMG DRUMMOND LYKS NORWOOD HEEPZ!! Yes! We get it! Its getting boring! He's overtly biased to his detriment, but his posts are a lot more interesting than the rest of the bland/blind AFC supporting on this board. The second the game is on is a different matter. But on this board people can and should have different opinions, even if they are unnecessarily negative.

Spot on. It isn't about MM, its about the AFC. The best we can get out of Mattner is on the wing, the best player for the wing is Mattner, so play him there!

Agreed.:thumbsu:

So Neil Craig must be a complete dud then playing Mattner back there after seeing him carving them up down the wing when we were flying.

Drummonds right, must be that Craig has suddenly forgotten how he got all of his success last two years , rather than Craig being forced to rob Peter to pay Paul the whole year to cover the holes in our side game after game from outs to key big men since the finals last year due to injuries.

Mattners being played out of position because our whole make up is patchwork at the moment.
Have we had even one game where we havent had forced outgoings and key big men missing?

**** some of you guys turn on the coach faster than a 'Choco for Baghdad' Power supporter.

So by going on that theory Mattner should be playing on the wing this w/end since we have gained two of our backmen (Rutten and Bock) for this w/ends game rather than being dropped???

I don't disagree that he is a good wingman. I think perhaps his inability to collect 20+ possessions a game hurt him. A wingman is basically another midfielder and I think he was been sqeezed out of the midfield as a whole by guys like Knights and VB etc (obviously they all rotate). Maybe with Doughty being dropped he may force his way back on a wing with good form in SANFL.

While on the wing he has great defensive pressure and the ability to run and kick long. I just don't think he wins enough clearances and possessions around the ground to be 1st choice wingman (in coaching group minds). If so I tend to agree. If he improved his output he'd be a brilliant wingman.

All I'll say is that what has happened to Mattner this year has been nothing short of idiotic and a tragedy.

Congratulations to the coaching staff for turning an attacking effective wingman into an uncertain dithering backman. :thumbsdown:

It has been fustrating to watch. I really would like AFC (if they are reading this) to answer why they have persisted to turn a quality wingman into an average defender. It's not like we are short of defenders - Stevens & Massie can play a similar role, only better in defence.

I hold on to hope Craig may return Mattner to a wing (after burning for Sturt)given Bock's eventual return to CHB, after similarly being played out of position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So by going on that theory Mattner should be playing on the wing this w/end since we have gained two of our backmen (Rutten and Bock) for this w/ends game rather than being dropped???

yeah he should have been, unfortunately hes out of form, quite probably from being played out of position, which sadly I think has been unavoidable.

But having seen what tall forwards have done to us several times this year, its more important to have them covered in defense with one of the few talls left than have an inform wingman standing 100 mtrs from the ball because we cant get it to him anyway. of course ideally Mattner would be spot welded to the wing, but this has been so far from an ideal season its not funny.

We`ve lost something like 90% of our 2006 score power through losing Hentschel, Bode, the heart of our club in Ricciuto etc , had gaping holes in defense in Rutten and Basset (two of the best in the league) Johncock, Reilly, Burton heck just about everyone that made the team great the last two years. Finding a wingman is probably the last of Craigys immediate concerns at the moment.

This whole thread is just another Drummond attempt to hang shit on the club because they arent doing exactly what he wants, with him having the luxury of not having to be accountable to an entire state if he stuffs up like Craig does . **** me I cant understand why some posters here even pretend to be supporters, do a search of their posts and its not just the odd constructive criticism, but 100% carping bullshit and constant putdowns.

Bloody awesome to get Radar, Bocky and Truck back!! Plus two of our favourite neighborhood ruckmen playing in the same game. :D :thumbsu:

I'd rather have Radar in the side than Mattner, and I think Craigy recognises that in the long term Douglas will become quite the player, so he's persisting with the lad. Good stuff. :thumbsu:

Bloody awesome to get Radar, Bocky and Truck back!! Plus two of our favourite neighborhood ruckmen playing in the same game. :D :thumbsu:

You're surely not seeing a positive in all this doom and gloom? This board sometimes is like chicken little and the sky falling down..... You just shake your head.

You're surely not seeing a positive in all this doom and gloom? This board sometimes is like chicken little and the sky falling down..... You just shake your head.

I've never seen that movie so I have no idea what you mean but.....mmm dinner is almost ready. Yummy food tonight....oh wait, trailed off for a bit there.

Skin the cats on Sunday boys. :thumbsu:

Why does every one want him as a wingman?
Its not as if hes a "goalkicking wingman"... now that would be different.

If NC wants to develop him as a backline player Im OK with that; he's still creative and takes a risk...he's just a good player out of form.

A most intriguing 1001st post...

1000 must have been great

Lots of emotion here. Mattner is a great wingman, he has, for 2 years been asked to adapt to a different role. I think Mattner is a pure wingman. NC thinks differently. Who is right who is wrong.

Injuries it seems have limited the choices NC has had , I would have done it differently.

Trade? Thats up to NC and Marty. I hope he doesnt but if he does I hope he blossoms at his new club

Why does every one want him as a wingman?
Its not as if hes a "goalkicking wingman"... now that would be different.

If NC wants to develop him as a backline player Im OK with that; he's still creative and takes a risk...he's just a good player out of form.

Actually I thought he was somewhat handy as someone who attacked the goal front back in 2005 and part of 2006. Kicked a long goal in the wet at the start of the first Showdown in 2006 - he can really penetrate the 50 with that left boot.

Even on the wing the AFC identified his decision making as a problem. He was still prone to brain fades there and so the club made the decision to play him in defense, where he is forced to make calculated decisions instead of just running like a blind goat. The club has been hoping to improve his decision making but it does appear that he isn't destined to become a cool head; we all think the time is right to send him back to the wing so he can just run and kick long.

His confidence is absolutely shot. Even in the short periods of games he's spent up on the wing, he has been terrible.

Wasn't he moved into defence to improve on the defensive side of the game? Well now he's too defensive, and he's not smart enough to play a defensive role in the modern game.

Martin Mattner is a dumb footballer. You've got to let these blokes 'just play' instead of filling their head with zone setups, set plays and asking him to play a defensive role on much smarter opponents. They don't get it.

Leave him at Sturt for a while and get some confidence back into him. At present, he has none. He isn't backing himself, he's dropping marks, turning over the football and falling over.

I think something that goes against him is the fact we don't play permanent wingmen anymore - the midfield rotation group go through these spots. Martin's tunnel vision means he can't play as a midfielder who has to spent periods in the centre square, so therefore he has been tried at half-back. I still think it can work because at his best he takes on the opposition and with a long kick he can be a 80-metre play footballer. But his confidence seems shot at the moment.

He was still prone to brain fades there and so the club made the decision to play him in defense, where he is forced to make calculated decisions instead of just running like a blind goat. The club has been hoping to improve his decision making but it does appear that he isn't destined to become a cool head; we all think the time is right to send him back to the wing so he can just run and kick long.

Best post ever :thumbsu:, if it's true it was worth trying, I never thought about it that way.

I can't really remember all of the details, but didn't we get a new defensive couch at the start of the year that said something along the lines of; I've got a player or two in mind that I would like to use in defence that doesn't normally play there?

I do actually think Marty has maybe gotten a little better at least. Remember the first NAB Cup match this year? He was really awful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mattner Dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back