Maybe we haven't drafted as well as we think

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm very happy with Leuenberger & Henderson could be a long term CHF replacement for Brown. Plus Rioli & Ebert had the go home risk factor big time. Both the eagles & hawks may find that out to their detriment in two years time.

Having said that I'll freak if we don't take the best available midfielder at this years draft.

Well said mate. I only took positives home from this game.
Sydney were really on song tonight from the first kick.
What can a coach say to his team at three quarter time when the opposition were clearly a much superior team. Whatever Leigh said must have been good ,because we should have been blown away.and we weren't ,shows a lot of character.
Nothing to be ashamed of at all, I think this year is going to be very exciting, watching the emerging players and all the highs and lows,that go with it.Chatting to supporters afer the game, they felt the same.too, only positives.

But players like Sherman and Risca are not emerging players, they have been in the system for several years, these players are fundamental in determining how we perform this year, the fact that they still are finding it difficult to find the ball and then use it well is worrying, they need to find the next gear, its like going in a bus up a hill and the driver is struggling to find the next gear, you start off alright, and then you think, what the ____ when you start feeling like your going backwards.

I think we were banking on Rischitelli being an 'in and under' player, and while we're only at Round 3, he's been pretty disappointing.

We need Hooper (or even Harding) to crumb, Hooper plays too far up the field at this stage to play that role. I don't think our drafting has been bad, unfortunately the class of 2006 have barely been cited due to injury, but who knows, Sheldon, Hawksley and Schmidt may be just what we're looking for.

Nope, we're in a lot of trouble. We need a new coach who is open to new ideas.

Do I need to go back to bed for a couple of hours or I am actually reading this correctly:eek:

Leigh Matthews is building this team nicely and we have played 3 of last years finals teams. We have a tough draw and are doing ok.

To say we have 10 years of pain coming up is ridiculous to say the least.

We should stop thinking about trying to tackle people and try win the footy instead. I just see our players just aim for the other team instead of trying to win the footy

I read an article with yesterday with Brown saying that at the peak of his career he wishes their was more success and not having it makes him appreciate the success he had early in his career. What i was trying to say is that we have drafted highly rated talls early (they can take years to develop) opposed to highly rated mids that are more likely to impact straight away. I haven't got a problem with The Berger and Henderson on our list, hopefully 8 or 9 players will lift and Browny and co who are still at the peak of their powers can experience some immediate success.

Said the exact same thing a day or two ago on another thread and even draft day when we took Leuenberger - we had a perfectly good ruckmen in Wood and could/should have taken Selwood and kept pick 14 last year. If we take another bloody ruckmen with our first pick i will be staggered.

Don't get me wrong, Leuey is a beauty but i too question some recent decisions. One positive our recruiters made and i thought we may even take him at 4 was Proud and getting him for pick 22 IIRC, what a steal, he looks hard and tough and there were about 18 other players who should take a leaf out of his book and get some of the determination he displays, because there are many who are just plain soft. You could imagine Leigh would absolutely love Proudy.

I read an article with yesterday with Brown saying that at the peak of his career he wishes their was more success and not having it makes him appreciate the success he had early in his career. What i was trying to say is that we have drafted highly rated talls early (they can take years to develop) opposed to highly rated mids that are more likely to impact straight away. I haven't got a problem with The Berger and Henderson on our list, hopefully 8 or 9 players will lift and Browny and co who are still at the peak of their powers can experience some immediate success.

You guys have contradicted your earlier statements somewhat.

I think we've made the right choises in the draft with picking up KPP in the early rounds, good mids are much easier to find later on IMO. Look at the success we've had drafting later on: (bold players are proven champs)
Black (no 31)
Hadley (no 22)
Corrie (no 44)
Jmac (rookie)
Adcock (no 33)
Rischitelli (no 61)
Begley (rookie)
Sherman (no45)
Harding (rookie)
Hooper (no41)
Stiller (rookie)
Proud (no22)

Just look at the mids we've picked up in the rookie drafts! Other clubs would love to be able to pick up a decent player from their rookie list every few years let alone the consistency we have been.

I think i read a stat somewhere that said we have the most midfield players on our list over other clubs this year. The odds are with us that a handfull will be superstars. Don't judge these kids on what they are doing just yet, give them time.

I bet if we picked up Bryce Gibbs in place of Leuwy, you'd still be unsatisfied with our midfield drafting. Gibbs still hasn't hit his straps either so it just shows some players will take a bit longer to impress.

IMO, KPP should always be drafted ahead of others when you're rebuilding. I'd be very, very surprised if we didn't start drafting our fair share of mids early in the draft from this year on.

>end rant

Look, haven't seen a second of the game, was working at the 'G last night.....all I'll say is that I have every faith in our recruiting department ;)

The way I see it; both key position players & ruckmen take at least 3 years longer to develop than midfielders, so we take mainly midfielders in the next 3 drafts and add them to Adcock & Proud and whala :D

I think the Lions drafted the right way with Leuenberger and Henderson - even the dogs were barking that Leuenberger was a once in a generation player and there is every indication they wre right

Regarding Henderson 3 points

Jonathon Brown is coming out of contract this year and any club who can afford him within the cap will be chasing him hard with HUGE bucks

Daniel Bradshaw is gettig closer to 30 every week

Mitch Clark played in the seniors from day one and ,unfortunely,far too few games since due to injury and is on a one year contract

Gotta cover your ass

All Lions fans will be thrilled with Lachlan as is Leigh

I think the Lions drafted the right way with Leuenberger and Henderson - even the dogs were barking that Leuenberger was a once in a generation player and there is every indication they wre right

Regarding Henderson 3 points

Jonathon Brown is coming out of contract this year and any club who can afford him within the cap will be chasing him hard with HUGE bucks

Daniel Bradshaw is gettig closer to 30 every week

Mitch Clark played in the seniors from day one and ,unfortunely,far too few games since due to injury and is on a one year contract

Gotta cover your ass

All Lions fans will be thrilled with Lachlan as is Leigh

If you're implying that there is a possiblility that Brown will leave, you're off your rocker!

We didn't.

That was Sam Sheldon. :D

Ah yes, the forgotten Sam. SOCKS.

Isn't he supposed to be a future midfielder, with future being the idea?;):D

I still think we are a couple of years from where I'd love to be now, but if e go sacking the coach and passing over the recruiting we have already done, won't that just make us slip a tad backwards?

I think we're doing OK.

What i was trying to say is that we have drafted highly rated talls early (they can take years to develop) opposed to highly rated mids that are more likely to impact straight away.

Carlton must be a great team then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why rely on a draft when the Lions could so grab local talent from Brisbane and SE QLD?

Why restrict your drafting to your local area, when you can choose the best players from across the whole country?

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves bagging the coach, the game plan and the recruiting. We have lost a couple of games by a couple of kicks against sides that were finalists last year . . . have a little faith in Lethal and his coaching staff.

Players like Rioli and J Selwood are good players because they play for top 4 teams. We are not a top 4 side which is why we need to be patient with our new kids.

We had some half decent players during our golden era that we couldn't hold onto (ie) Bolten (now Captain), Gram and Pratt had they stayed we would probably be in a better position today, however in my opinion that was a small sacrifice for ultimate glory and I wouldnt change a thing.

Anyway my point is this, because of our success we dont have many players around the 100 games experience mark which is why we are struggling. I am wrapt that after 3 premierships we didn't bottom out or tank like many sides do.

Berger, Hendo, Collier, Clark, Polks, Kiel, Sheldon etc will all be gun players and I can't wait for these 'kids' to get some game time under their belts. It is clear that we struggle around the stoppages and our skills & confidence is not that great, but I think experience has a lot to do with that. Had we had a couple of more players with games experience we would have beaten WC and Swans. Here's some statistics in relation to games experience.

LIONS (compared to SWANS)
Less than 50 games (10 players);
50 to 99 games (3 players)
100 to 149 games (3 players)
150+ games (6 players)

SWANS (compared to LIONS)
Less than 50 games (5 players)
50 to 99 games (7 players)
100 to 149 games (3 players)
150+ games (7 players)

If you're implying that there is a possiblility that Brown will leave, you're off your rocker!
I didn't notice Browny put it completely outside the realms of possibity on the tv interview a few days ago - i'll be opening a special bottle of wine when he re-signs

there are the other two points re Braddles and Mitch - why IMO Henderson was the right choice

I didn't notice Browny put it completely outside the realms of possibity on the tv interview a few days ago

I think it was more a case of leaving his options open if the Lions don't give him an offer that is in the ball park. I felt very secure watching the interview that he WILL be wearing a Lions jumper in 09.

In 2006 people thought we needed a centre half back. In 2007 people thought we needed midfielders. If we pretend that Proud, Schmidt, Hawksley and Sheldon were drafted in 2007 and that Henderson was drafted in 2006 then it's all good.:thumbsu:

Why restrict your drafting to your local area, when you can choose the best players from across the whole country?
because if you're trying to make the sport more successful and popular in Queensland and NSW, then you need the teams in those areas to have local talent - because i know alot of people who see the Lions and Swans as relocated Victorian teams, which is true. Why relocate North Melbourne to the Gold Coast, why not start up an original Gold coast team?

because if you're trying to make the sport more successful and popular in Queensland and NSW, then you need the teams in those areas to have local talent

Which is more important? The best talent, or local talent?

I suppose it comes down to who would you rather in our team atm, Wood as a 2nd ruckmen and Joel Selwood or Leuey as a second ruckman and Johnstone. I would pick the latter but the former is also a very formidable duo though.

As for the Henderson pick, I guess with Bradshaw getting on and Mitch Clark potentially getting homesick and moving back home the club decided to hedge their bets and draft another kpp just in case it didn't work out. I guess us getting caught with our pants down with leppa retiring early and mal michael's controversial exit the club learnt it's lesson and is being extra cautious.

Where'd this little gem come from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we haven't drafted as well as we think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back