Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

That’s not how it works these days though as it’s more the outcome when players go up before the MRP or the Tribunal. It’s unfortunate however he will go for being careless and it was high and severe. End of story.

Then the AFL must adjudicate every injury on outcome and blame everyone near by for it.
If where we are heading it has to always be someones fault then the game must become a non contact sport.
Every kick, handlball, mark, etc will possibly cause harm to another player.

But if it is regarded as a football action which Collingwood legal will argue and most agree it is. He is allowed to jump to spoil/smother, it is not an uncommon occurance.
I think this will come down to what the AFL want to make up on the night at the tribunal. He has no broken any football law here. The contact was unavoidable once he was in the air.
I am aware you disagree but for me it's simply an accident and it won't be the last one either, while the sport remains somewhat as contact then in 100 years these accidents will continue.
The only way they ever stop is to make the sport non contact.

he is allowed to jump and smother, but not in a reckless/careless manner it is really that simple. If it wasn't uncommon then you'd have people knocked out every game. Trying to smother does not remove your duty of care.

Contact was unavoidable, the type of contact was up to Maynard. He could have taken the Mitch Duncan approach, instead, he drove his shoulder into his face. pretty simple.

the fact the original assessment from Christian was no case to answer tells me he needs to be sacked at the end of the year.

But if it is regarded as a football action which Collingwood legal will argue and most agree it is. He is allowed to jump to spoil/smother, it is not an uncommon occurance.
I think this will come down to what the AFL want to make up on the night at the tribunal. He has no broken any football law here. The contact was unavoidable once he was in the air.
I am aware you disagree but for me it's simply an accident and it won't be the last one either, while the sport remains somewhat as contact then in 100 years these accidents will continue.
The only way they ever stop is to make the sport non contact.
"football action" is nonsense. Punching the ball is a football action, but if you get somebody in the head, weeks. Bumping is an action, if you get them high and knock them out, weeks.

Why is jumping to smother any different to those? If Maynard was closer and hadn't jumped but still tried to smother head-on then ironed out Brayshaw, would you be arguing it is unavoidable contact? Maynard set the unavoidable course, then executed with a shoulder to the head.

The only discussion for me is if it's deemed intentional or careless. Anything else and the joke which is the finals MRP decisions continues.

he is allowed to jump and smother, but not in a reckless/careless manner it is really that simple. If it wasn't uncommon then you'd have people knocked out every game. Trying to smother does not remove your duty of care.

Contact was unavoidable, the type of contact was up to Maynard. He could have taken the Mitch Duncan approach, instead, he drove his shoulder into his face. pretty simple.

the fact the original assessment from Christian was no case to answer tells me he needs to be sacked at the end of the year.

How was it reckless or careless?

He attempts to smother meters away from the ball. Where is the carelessness in this?

"football action" is nonsense. Punching the ball is a football action, but if you get somebody in the head, weeks. Bumping is an action, if you get them high and knock them out, weeks.

Why is jumping to smother any different to those? If Maynard was closer and hadn't jumped but still tried to smother head-on then ironed out Brayshaw, would you be arguing it is unavoidable contact? Maynard set the unavoidable course, then executed with a shoulder to the head.

The only discussion for me is if it's deemed intentional or careless. Anything else and the joke which is the finals MRP decisions continues.

Do you believe if a player was to take mark of the year but he knocks out the player he sat on to take it that he would be suspended. Honest answer?
Punching the ball is not a footy action because what if you miss the ball and accidently hit your opponent? You see how it gets unclear.

Maynards only intention was to smother/spoil the ball, to try and think that it wasn't is just nonsense.

It will be the biggest of all jokes if he is suspended for me.

when he made the decision to jump it was obvious that he would hit Brayshaw. Even Collingwood supporters admit that.

He jumped to smother/spoil the ball, it happens almost every kick per game that someone is trying to touch or spoil it. They all jump off the ground to do it. This accident happened because it's a one off, very rare occurrence. And it should be judged as so.

There is just way too much of this where if someone gets badly injured someone must pay the price. Eye for an eye is just stupid in a contact sport.

I wanted to blame Lachie Neale for all of this. Falling over in tackles and holding his head trying to get blokes rubbed out. Now when a bloke actually gets properly injured people are siding with the perpetrator. I can understand why people think Maynard should get off. But I think Brayshaw is a real chance of never playing afl again. That's the reality. Maynard could've pushed Brayshaw with 2 hands. He didn't need to bump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moments before impact (less than 0.1 of second), Maynard actually does this.

View attachment 1800068

You can see his hands actually touching Brayshaw
Go back a couple of seconds where he launches at speed straight at Brayshaw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

Back