Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

He jumped to smother/spoil the ball, it happens almost every kick per game that someone is trying to touch or spoil it. They all jump off the ground to do it. This accident happened because it's a one off, very rare occurrence. And it should be judged as so.

There is just way too much of this where if someone gets badly injured someone must pay the price. Eye for an eye is just stupid in a contact sport.

It’s rare because players don’t usually jump forward and into opposition players in their attempts to smother.

They don’t do it because I think most players would recognise the likelihood of head high contact.

I wanted to blame Lachie Neale for all of this. Falling over in tackles and holding his head trying to get blokes rubbed out. Now when a bloke actually gets properly injured people are siding with the perpetrator. I can understand why people think Maynard should get off. But I think Brayshaw is a real chance of never playing afl again. That's the reality. Maynard could've pushed Brayshaw with 2 hands. He didn't need to bump.
Exactly.

It doesn’t actually matter who got hit. The fact it was Brayshaw is academic. As you say, pushing him or moving to the side etc. There were other options. Pretty sure Pickett tried a smother on WHE and jumper forward but moved to the side.

I’ve literally seen anything like that before. It was totally unnecessary.

Don't know why there is nearly 100 pages of posts here when we all know what will happen.

Maynard will get one week - enough to miss the prelim but make him available for the GF.

Everyone will be unhappy with that result - those who think he should be free to play and those that think he deserves 2+.
Except under the rules it's basically impossible for him to get 1 week. It's none or 3+.

risk/reward. He took the risk.

He took no risk at all, he was imply running and jumping up to effect a spoil/smother. It's that simple.
And the players don't think about duty of care to others in these split second decisions, never ever have and never ever will.
Sopunds like a nice story this duty of care stuff but it's not real when you are in the moment.

Maynard needed a teleportation device if he was going to get out of that contest.
Which is why I would argue that he entered the contest in a careless fashion. If there was no way to avoid head high contact then he should not have done it.

Remember, we aren’t talking about a marking contest. This is a situation where one player has the ball, and the other is trying to win it back. In that situation the defensive player is responsible, same as if they choose to bump or tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is why I would argue that he entered the contest in a careless fashion. If there was no way to avoid head high contact then he should not have done it.

Remember, we aren’t talking about a marking contest. This is a situation where one player has the ball, and the other is trying to win it back. In that situation the defensive player is responsible, same as if they choose to bump or tackle.

You are still thinking players are running around out there thinking about not trying to hurt anyone. It doesn't enter anyones mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

Back