Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

View attachment 1799941

This is where he starts his jump. It's not in his path.
This is actually more damning. You could drive a Volvo through that gap. There’s no way he can smother that ball and Brayshaw is on a totally different trajectory. Maynard jumping and moving into Brayshaw was pretty avoidable.

If they used that footage it wouldn’t bode well.

So you're comparing firing a gun, to jumping in the air to smother. Just so we're clear, do you think the AFL will use the gun analogy at the tribunal?
Yeah. Exactly. Course they will.

I thought the grading was thrown out the window once a case enters the tribunal?

Certainly in the Stewart case last year, there was an open negotiation between the club and the tribunal that resulted in the 4 week ban (club wanted three, AFL was pushing for five).
So for rough conduct, severe impact, high contact the penalty can be 3+ depending on the type of incident. Minimum 3, but as high as the tribunal sees fit basically.
SmartSelect_20230909_122840_Samsung Notes.jpg

How many times have we seen an attempted smother end up with a concussed player? I’ve never seen it. Bit ironic that the player on report is known for playing on the line.
Also ironic that the player concussed is severely prone to head knocks.

It sucks for Brayshaw, but let’s be honest if McStay was on the end of Maynard’s hit and Brayshaw on the end of JVRs the outcome would have been completely different. We wouldn’t even be talking about Maynard.

Punish the intent of the action

So for rough conduct, severe impact, high contact the penalty can be 3+ depending on the type of incident. Minimum 3, but as high as the tribunal sees fit basically.
View attachment 1800032
Based on that it’s Careless and Severe (high/groin).

3 matches. They’ll try and get it down to 1-0.

Also ironic that the player concussed is severely prone to head knocks.

It sucks for Brayshaw, but let’s be honest if McStay was on the end of Maynard’s hit and Brayshaw on the end of JVRs the outcome would have been completely different. We wouldn’t even be talking about Maynard.

Punish the intent of the action
Totally agree. But the AFL don’t punish actions, they punish outcomes. It was careless and severe. 3 matches is the minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All Maynard had to do was to put his hands out to protect himself and Brayshaw but instead he braced with a hip and shoulder. Not deliberate but was responsible for the KO so would have to be 2+ weeks
If its not deliberate, then how is he responsible. It is an unavoidable collision. He could have done equal or more damage doing anything else. Rewatch the speed at which all this takes place.

If its not deliberate, then how is he responsible. It is an unavoidable collision. He could have done equal or more damage doing anything else. Rewatch the speed at which all this takes place.
It was only unavoidable once he decided to jump. That removed all of his options for avoiding brayshaw.

Un intentional hits get punished all the time, if the player is careless

If he hadn't turned his shoulder into Brayshaw's head, he'd have a case (i.e. made contact with another part of the body first).

If this was in an intra-club match, Pies fans need to ask themselves would Maynard have turned his shoulder and knocked them out? I doubt it. 3 weeks for mine.

The thing that annoys me is Maynard plays with this hard edge by hitting blokes that are unprotected. Nothing tough about it. I find Maynard one of the least intimidating 'tough guys' in the afl.

Nathan Murphy is twice as brave and courageous than Maynard. Murphy actually backs back into packs.

there is no consideration to grading of a hit severity based on whether it was an accident, whether Maynard and Brayshaw are buds, etc etc.

But if it is regarded as a football action which Collingwood legal will argue and most agree it is. He is allowed to jump to spoil/smother, it is not an uncommon occurance.
I think this will come down to what the AFL want to make up on the night at the tribunal. He has no broken any football law here. The contact was unavoidable once he was in the air.
I am aware you disagree but for me it's simply an accident and it won't be the last one either, while the sport remains somewhat as contact then in 100 years these accidents will continue.
The only way they ever stop is to make the sport non contact.

Feel like it's simple.
Did he intentionally bump. No.
Where did he hit. High
Severity. High to Severe.
Was he going for a smother. Yes.
Was he careless in this action. I think yes but that's the only question needed for the tribunal. 4 weeks of yes. 0 weeks of no.

That’s not how it works these days though as it’s more the outcome when players go up before the MRP or the Tribunal. It’s unfortunate however he will go for being careless and it was high and severe. End of story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

Back