Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

Ahh a toughguy keyboard warrior. Im sure you take his from 90 kilo guys at speed to the head all the time and brush it off.

Even if Brayshaw brushed it off as well as you would, its still a 1 week holiday any time during the regular season.

Brayshaw is an incredibly tough player, I am not questioning his toughness, I am saying he has a soft spot, similar to players like McCartin. It's not their fault at all.

That kind of hit would not have knocked out a lot of people. It was glancing to the head.

Why do people call it a bump? It's an attempted smother and a player landing and bracing. Had Brayshaw ran into Maynard and knocked him out after landing, would he be in trouble?

Lol why did he brace to the side like that? No need to do that. Jump down like everyelse does after they try soomthere
and thats why he is going to get weeks. Yes split second reaction, but his split second reaction needs to be un-learnt. Had other options. He could have turned the other way and likely missed him altogether or at the least less severe contact, could have put hands out to brace for contact, could have used hands to potentially remove him from contact altogether but no, he chose the worst possible option for both Brayshaw and himself.

Last edited:

I know, how Gary Rohan got off for that bump on Jeremy Cameron is unbelievable.
I know you’re taking the Mickey but you have a point.
An accident is an accident, it’s either suspendable or not. You shouldn’t get suspended for actions like Rohans but if they weren’t wearing the same jumper the majority of football nuffies would be calling for a suspension.
Christian has completely confused himself and by extension the rest of the football viewing numbskulls.
No one has a clue which way this will go.

Too many options to pick from really. Go to YouTube and you should have no issues finding Toby Greene's post match interview when he touched the ump

Touching the ump isn't really the same as knocking a player out and getting a chance to plead your case later. You haven't been able to prove a shred of evidence for something that you stated "happens all the time". If it happens all the time - should be very easy for you to show some evidence.

Touching the ump isn't really the same as knocking a player out and getting a chance to plead your case later. You haven't been able to prove a shred of evidence for something that you stated "happens all the time". If it happens all the time - should be very easy for you to show some evidence.

Ok then mate go back to your melts about it I'm not fussed

I know you’re taking the Mickey but you have a point.
An accident is an accident, it’s either suspendable or not. You shouldn’t get suspended for actions like Rohans but if they weren’t wearing the same jumper the majority of football nuffies would be calling for a suspension.
Christian has completely confused himself and by extension the rest of the football viewing numbskulls.
No one has a clue which way this will go.
My point is it'll be assessed as a football act and a few weeks from now no one will even mention it because there will be another crazy incident we'll all be up in arms about.

Brayshaw is an incredibly tough player, I am not questioning his toughness, I am saying he has a soft spot, similar to players like McCartin. It's not their fault at all.

That kind of hit would not have knocked out a lot of people. It was glancing to the head.

Why do people call it a bump? It's an attempted smother and a player landing and bracing. Had Brayshaw ran into Maynard and knocked him out after landing, would he be in trouble?
Shoulder into the head at pace would have knocked a lot of players out

Why wouldn't Maynard at least put his hands out to soften the contact? Going in with the shoulder first is not the way to avoid high contact.

Hard to argue past the careless/high/high ruling as a minimum on this.
I know, crazy eh! When it's slowed right down he had so many options.

Ok then mate go back to your melts about it I'm not fussed
I'm not melting about anything mate.

I said it is unprecedented that a player would be given a puff piece interview after a game to show how remorseful they were for knocking out their opponent.

You then said "Literally happens all the time..."

I've asked you to provide evidence of "Literally happens all the time..." and you haven't been able to do it - now you are responding with "Ok then mate go back to your melts about it I'm not fussed".

Nobody is melting, im just asking you to share an example, but you seem to really struggle with this concept?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. The fact that he chose to jump and thenchose to drop his shoulder on Brayshaw's head is why he should be rubbed out.

His history of being a flog shouldnt come into it.

But it does for Toby Greene...
No it doesn’t, geez you talk rubbish like a typical nuff.
Greene gets away with most things as Whateley has proven already.

How is a tackle different to a smother? Both are "football acts". If a tackle goes wrong and a player is concussed it is generally a suspension
If you follow this logic further, Maynard doesn't actually commit a football act, because he missed the smother. At least with a dangerous tackle you need to complete a tackle lol

The argument around this and the concept of a football act reminds of the Van Rooyen spoil from earlier this year.

Van Rooyen got off due to the “contesting the mark” rule - I wonder if there any similar allowances for attempting to smother?

Regards

S. Pete

in the behind the goals vision, you can see Brayshaw unfortunately falls across in Maynards path after he kicked it. Quite clear where Brayshaw kicks the ball from to where contact was made. Just an unfortunate accident IMO. Its not the matrix. Maynard cant contort in a split second.

And **** what Goodwin said in his post match presser.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what Maynard is suppose to do. If he doesn't turn to the side they will literally clash heads with each other.
He has too much momentum to avoid making any contact. This incident is no different to jumping for a mark and kneeing someone in the back of the head, similar to Rayner a couple weeks back on Ryan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

Back