MCDFL - 2011 PRE Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: MCDFL - Part 3

Lexton will not only be a very good team in the MCDFL but my thoughts are they will win the flag. Would not be surprised if they play off against Navarre either. Navarre are a very young classy team and with so much young talent will only get better.

Lexton will not only be a very good team in the MCDFL but my thoughts are they will win the flag. Would not be surprised if they play off against Navarre either. Navarre are a very young classy team and with so much young talent will only get better.

Fair to say Lexton are building nicely, but something that has failed to be mentioned is what they will lose, considering there Ballarat players, and the added travel. Players like Johnson and Stasse, are there any guarentees they will play? We are still 6 months from the start of the season, im tipping in the previous 2 seasons not many people predicted Newstead and Dunolly to play off in 2009, and Maldon to win in 2010.

The fantastic difference between the MCDFL , LPFL and CHFL, is we have no idea what could happen next year, a number of teams may take it out, where as the CHFL has 2 teams, and the now defunct LPFL always had the same old suspects. Exciting year lays ahead for the MCDFL !!

Fair to say Lexton are building nicely, but something that has failed to be mentioned is what they will lose, considering there Ballarat players, and the added travel. Players like Johnson and Stasse, are there any guarentees they will play? We are still 6 months from the start of the season, im tipping in the previous 2 seasons not many people predicted Newstead and Dunolly to play off in 2009, and Maldon to win in 2010.

The fantastic difference between the MCDFL , LPFL and CHFL, is we have no idea what could happen next year, a number of teams may take it out, where as the CHFL has 2 teams, and the now defunct LPFL always had the same old suspects. Exciting year lays ahead for the MCDFL !!

I wouldn't count out Skipton just yet they could be right up there with Daylesford and Hepburn who both will drop off eventually even Rokewood or Carngham with the new top 8 coming into CHFL might make it harder for same 2 clubs to make the Grand Final .

I hope Lexton plays better then they did against Skipton in the Grand final
its was all one sided .

Sounds promising. What was the logic behind going with a final 8 Bucko? Seems a lot, but then again I dont think the top 6 system has too many fans. Will mean an extra week of finals.
A top 8 in a 14-team comp!?! Talk about rewarding mediocrity, this would mean you could potentially make the finals having lost more games than you won! What's the point?

At the risk of repeating what someone else might previously have said: Why not just make it a top 14 and give everyone a go? Better still, why not wipe the home & away matches and just play finals from the outset???

Ben the top 8 doesnt reward mediocrity, it gives teams an incentive at the start of the season with the chance of playing finals. Under the current MCDFNL 11 teams and top 5 6 sides miss out on finals, with 14 teams and a top 8, 6 teams miss out on finals. The final 6 system doesnt work as proved at AFL and Ballarat Football League levels so the 8 is a fairer system.
Maybe instead of bagging a league that is growing you should have a lok at the Bendgo League where they have a final 5 with only 9 teams, so based on percentages there is more chance of a poor side finishing in the finals.

maybe this may be the day that it does happen Uncle John!!!
who knows!!

Can confirm that a lot of players from Newstead and Castlemaine are going to Creek.
They have to drive through it to get to the cricket at Guilford over the summer.
I would be more concerned about the possible losses at Creek if all the rumours about their younger players are true.
Ross Smith at Newstead is a great appointment for the club, good bloke who has some great ideas about footy and has worked well with juniors so the step up with all the young guys at the club will be good.
Couple of players gone in Ford and Kerr but maybe a former league B& F might be about to become a roo.

Can confirm that a lot of players from Newstead and Castlemaine are going to Creek.
They have to drive through it to get to the cricket at Guilford over the summer.
I would be more concerned about the possible losses at Creek if all the rumours about their younger players are true.
Ross Smith at Newstead is a great appointment for the club, good bloke who has some great ideas about footy and has worked well with juniors so the step up with all the young guys at the club will be good.
Couple of players gone in Ford and Kerr but maybe a former league B& F might be about to become a roo.

Great appointment in Ross Smith, but thanks must go out to Rick Taylor who did a great job with the boys for 3 years winning a premiership and making finals another year.

Fair to say that the former league B&F that looks to be joining the Steaders in 2011 will be Daniel Christmas... Should send a bit of a shudder through the backmen in the league!

I was told that Fish had signed as well as Matt Brown, Bucknell, and Darcy Richards, any truth in this? it was from someone close to the footy club.

Bucknall will stay at Maryborough, and as for Darcy Richards hes off chasing dollars in the Ballarat league, seems to have his ambitions mixed up with his abilities

Sounds promising. What was the logic behind going with a final 8 Bucko? Seems a lot, but then again I dont think the top 6 system has too many fans. Will mean an extra week of finals.

Ben the top 8 doesnt reward mediocrity, it gives teams an incentive at the start of the season with the chance of playing finals. Under the current MCDFNL 11 teams and top 5 6 sides miss out on finals, with 14 teams and a top 8, 6 teams miss out on finals. The final 6 system doesnt work as proved at AFL and Ballarat Football League levels so the 8 is a fairer system.
Maybe instead of bagging a league that is growing you should have a lok at the Bendgo League where they have a final 5 with only 9 teams, so based on percentages there is more chance of a poor side finishing in the finals.
Yeah I agree with you here Steader. The top 8 is the most workable after the top 5. When you look at season 2010 also, the next three outside the 5 were reasonably competitive with Harcourt knocking off a couple of the finalists throughout the year and Creek also spending plenty of time in the top 5 and pushing all the top teams at stages. Dunolly were extremely inconsistent but managed to beat Rovers with a full side in. The final 8 system will still run over four weeks as we do now. I also think with the extra games, most clubs will be pleased to see the venues and revenue spread around in the first week of finals.

Bucknall will stay at Maryborough, and as for Darcy Richards hes off chasing dollars in the Ballarat league, seems to have his ambitions mixed up with his abilities

From what I've heard Richards is in talks with rovers and wants to clean up some of the bad blood he has with a few players would be a handy addition to an already strong lineup

Maybe instead of bagging a league that is growing you should have a look at the Bendigo League where they have a final 5 with only 9 teams, so based on percentages there is more chance of a poor side finishing in the finals.

Not arguing with your main point Steader, but your point about the BFL is not valid, considering the only year for a long time the league had 9 teams was 2008 after North Juniors left and before Strathfieldsaye joined.

From what I've heard Richards is in talks with rovers and wants to clean up some of the bad blood he has with a few players would be a handy addition to an already strong lineup

have heard rovers have picked up a few brookman. can you enlighten us with a few of these "handy additions"

have heard rovers have picked up a few brookman. can you enlighten us with a few of these "handy additions"

Don't want to say too much but have heard of a few ex players returning from other clubs in the area may only be speculation though, but a handful of very capable players

Great appointment in Ross Smith, but thanks must go out to Rick Taylor who did a great job with the boys for 3 years winning a premiership and making finals another year.

Fair to say that the former league B&F that looks to be joining the Steaders in 2011 will be Daniel Christmas... Should send a bit of a shudder through the backmen in the league!

Have to agree with you here Thermometer, Rick did a great job when he took it on in 2008 he had a side that was full of kids, won the flag in 2009 and made finals this year when things didnt go our way with injuries and such. Also when he took the job on there werent a lot of people looking to do it and we had lost a few players so he built the side and kept the kids from 2008.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaaron Carr from Brook and Brendan Hedger from Avoca are certanties, also hopeful that Jarred Chaplin will return home from Adelaide if his cultural commitments allow. Corey Taylor will return from Maryborough and hopefully drag a few with him.

Aaaron Carr from Brook and Brendan Hedger from Avoca are certanties, also hopeful that Jarred Chaplin will return home from Adelaide if his cultural commitments allow. Corey Taylor will return from Maryborough and hopefully drag a few with him.

very big statments there handy, have heard of hedger and that unrealiable kid of carr but i wouldn't be so sure of the other two. Don't get your hopes up there

Didn't intend for this to get personal Steader, but your logic is only slightly better than your maths. I am not bagging the league, I am critical of the thought that the majority of teams will make the finals. The finals are for the best, the elite, the priviledged teams who should f'ing-well earn the right to play in them.

The BFL has a final five, which is too generous for a 10-team comp - let alone a one which has 9 in it. Either way, there is just cause for a final four.

Maybe instead of bagging a league that is superior you should have a look at just how many teams are in the Bendigo League - then do your maths and post your response!;) Even if it had 9, the odds of making the finals would still be greater than the new-look-give-everyone-a-go-so-we-don't-upset-anyone-but-really-we'd-only-be-stringing-them-along MCDFL idea.

Does anyone seriously think the top 8 works better for any other reason than commercial reasons? Are 7th & 8th going to have any realistic chance of having a say, ultimately? If 9 teams miss out, they will just have to do better - is that so outrageous a concept?

Didn't intend for this to get personal Steader, but your logic is only slightly better than your maths. I am not bagging the league, I am critical of the thought that the majority of teams will make the finals. The finals are for the best, the elite, the priviledged teams who should f'ing-well earn the right to play in them.

The BFL has a final five, which is too generous for a 10-team comp - let alone a one which has 9 in it. Either way, there is just cause for a final four.

Maybe instead of bagging a league that is superior you should have a look at just how many teams are in the Bendigo League - then do your maths and post your response!;) Even if it had 9, the odds of making the finals would still be greater than the new-look-give-everyone-a-go-so-we-don't-upset-anyone-but-really-we'd-only-be-stringing-them-along MCDFL idea.

Does anyone seriously think the top 8 works better for any other reason than commercial reasons? Are 7th & 8th going to have any realistic chance of having a say, ultimately? If 9 teams miss out, they will just have to do better - is that so outrageous a concept?

I do agree with what you are Saying Cousin Ben, but looking at 2009 can give reason too a final 8. Harcourt beat 2 or 3 of the top 5. Creek were very competitive, and Dunolly, well they put the que in the rack mid season, but if they were serious could of threatened top 5 sides . 2011 sees Navarre, Natte and Lexton come in, and all will be genuine finals chances. Along with Rovers, Carisbrook,Newstead,Maldon and Avoca who should play finals, without disregarding Creek , Harcourt and an improving Dunolly !

Thats 11 teams, that are not without a chance of playing finals footy. I agree, Mediocrity should not be rewarded, but in my oppinion next year could be a year where anyone inside the top 8 can beat one another, and clubs outside have the potential to cause upsets. The league is growing, and moving forward, so i think top 8 is the way to go, it will at least mean that there will be some crunch games every week determining the final makeup, Out with the old , in with the new, the league is changing whether we like it or not ! But i can see the argument of both sides, i just favour the top 8 slightly !!:thumbsu:

The league now has 14 affiliated sides and is going with a final 8 system. End of story. I fully support it. Extra teams potentially means further 'good' sides playing and the finals should reflect that. I don't see why some make a big deal of it. Is it for the sake of expressing histrionics because something has changed? Accept it and move on I say. It's a pretty simple concept-
Week 1- Ist v 4th Qual 1.
2nd v 3rd Qual 2.
5th v 8th Elim 1.
6th v 7th Elim 2.

Week 2 Winner Elim 1 v Loser Qual 1. 2nd Semi
Winner Elim 2 v Loser Qual 2. Ist Semi
Winners Qual 1 and 2. Week's rest.

Week 3 Prelim 1.
Prelim 2.

Week 4. Grand Final.

The final 8 still runs over four weeks as we do now with a final 5. The first week can be spread over Saturday and Sunday at Princes and Hedges or other grounds such as Carisbrook, Dunolly, Lexton. No problem.
Any other news going on? Dunolly starts pre season on the 22nd of November.

What is the story with Fisher coaching at Lexton? Thought they would have been happy with Johnson and Stasse, considering they took them to a GF in the LPFL.

Heard Avoca aren't so thrilled about having Natte, Navarre and Lexton in. Good for travel and rivalries, but a little too much competition for their liking is what I was told.

What is the story with Fisher coaching at Lexton? Thought they would have been happy with Johnson and Stasse, considering they took them to a GF in the LPFL.

Heard Avoca aren't so thrilled about having Natte, Navarre and Lexton in. Good for travel and rivalries, but a little too much competition for their liking is what I was told.

Avoca is a proud club, and over the last 4 or 5 years have been a consistent perormer since transfering in 05, but will next year be a rebuilding year at the Kennel ? they have some good young kids, but if they lose the calibre of players rumoured, then it could be a long year.

anyone know anything on the fixture ?? in my oppinion Rd 1 should see some rivalries renewed (Dunolly VS Natte) (Avoca vs Navarre) and purely geographically based (Talbot vs Lexton), would imagine some handy crowds would get along !!

Brooks pre season begins 3rd of December at the ground, all new and past players and supporters welcome !! - Christmas party to follow the training session.

I'll bite Anwyl! What a lot of crap! Avoca are wrapped to be able to resume old acquatances with Natte, Navarre and lexton and look forward to any competition they dish up.

Maybe you should just stick to the CHFL site from now on and see how much competition R/C can provide for the likes of hepburn, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

MCDFL - 2011 PRE Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back