MCG Anzac Day match 2011 , If it was your choice , which 2 teams would play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Next year ANZAC day falls on Easter Monday, I assume Dons V Pies will def be on that day but what is the traditional Easter Monday game? And will that be moved to Tuesday? (Assuming tuesday will be a public holiday too)

And re the OP, would like to see a gradual shift away from ess and pies, maybe pies vs blues this year (since pies deserve to be the team to stay as premiers), then 2012 blues vs tiges (hopefully continue to improve), then 2013 tiges vs ? dons again, maybe roos or melb.... and so on the cycle continues of a team getting two years in the game, one away, one home

Next year ANZAC day falls on Easter Monday, I assume Dons V Pies will def be on that day but what is the traditional Easter Monday game? And will that be moved to Tuesday? (Assuming tuesday will be a public holiday too)

And re the OP, would like to see a gradual shift away from ess and pies, maybe pies vs blues this year (since pies deserve to be the team to stay as premiers), then 2012 blues vs tiges (hopefully continue to improve), then 2013 tiges vs ? dons again, maybe roos or melb.... and so on the cycle continues of a team getting two years in the game, one away, one home

It used to be the case Essendon and Carlton would meet Easter Monday...but, nowadays that's the domain of Hawthorn and Geelong...perhaps you could have them playing at Docklands as a Geelong home game that night?

As to the OP, I can't see why Fremantle hasn't continued to have it's night match following the Essendon v Collingwood match. Freo seemed to be on a winner with that set-up, although they now hold it during the Anzac weekend as such.

In the past, I can recall some very big days.

Take 1984. Full house at Waverley for Blues v Pies, whilst simliar numbers watched Richmond and Essendon at the 'G.

But, I also recall in the 90's a 3 game Anzac Day (might be 93), which saw about 10000 or so watch North thump Sydney at Princes Park, Hawthorn do much the same to Fitzroy at Waverley and one other game (can't remember)...and that was after 87000+ watched Essendon v Collingwood the day before!

ok genius...please tell me at what point in this thread did i say that the Bulldogs should be playing on ANZAC day???

Crepe I got the wrong person going through the Essendon/dog flame war. Apologies Cal, while targetting you is withdrawn, my point still stands as to why the lower crowd-drawing clubs should replace coll/ess in the ANZAC day game.

So then North didn't REQUEST a Friday night game:confused:

They did request a Friday night game against Collingwood or they didn't. Either way, Collingwood pioneered the Friday night game too :D

*shakes head.

North didn't request to play Collingwood.

I went to a Freo Anzac game a long time ago. I cant remember if it was on the actual day. They used to call it the Les Hall tribute game for the last anzac digger from WA, who used to turn up. Obviously, he has died since then. I dont know why teams couldnt meet interstate. It wouldnt stuff around with the MCG match.

The problem with allowing other teams access to the MCG match, is that every other team would have to get a go for it to be fair ....and you CANNOT have a match with less than 80,000 people..

See no reason it should be changed, only jealousy on the parts of other teams. These two made it the day it is, they succeed in bringing in the crowds every year regardless of their ladder positions. They deserve to have it and keep it!

*shakes head.

North didn't request to play Collingwood.

And you know that how??

You want to play Collingwood to bring big crowds to make $$, but when every other club wants the same you say Collingwood gets favoured treatement....you can't have it both ways.

Crepe I got the wrong person going through the Essendon/dog flame war. Apologies Cal, while targetting you is withdrawn, my point still stands as to why the lower crowd-drawing clubs should replace coll/ess in the ANZAC day game.

Apology accepted bud... my point is, and if you look at the Boxing Day Test for an example, that the ANZAC Day match has become bigger than the two teams that are playing it...

Boxing Day Test 1950 Vs England...Att:60,486

1982 Vs England Att:63,900

1983 Vs Pakistan Att:40,240

1984 Vs India Att: 29,108

Fast Forward 20 years and the event of Boxing Day has become more of a Marquee event

2002 Vs England Att:64,189

2003 Vs India Att:62,613

2004 Vs Pakistan Att:61,552

There has been the odd game like Warney's farewell in 2008 when the crowd gets bumped to 89,000 but a 'par' attendance for the Boxing Day Test is between 60 and 70 thousand...And it doesn't matter if it Sri Lanka or South Africa it now happens every time...

To me the ANZAC Day Clash has a 'Par' attendance of between 80,000 and 90,000...I would be very surprised if a Collingwood and St.Kilda (or any other matchup of two white hot Victorian teams) clash didn't draw at least 80,000.

See no reason it should be changed, only jealousy on the parts of other teams. These two made it the day it is, they succeed in bringing in the crowds every year regardless of their ladder positions. They deserve to have it and keep it!

/thread

But this is about ANZAC day - any lucky for your brave team there?

zaharakis_anzac-246a.jpg

...To me the ANZAC Day Clash has a 'Par' attendance of between 80,000 and 90,000...I would be very surprised if a Collingwood and St.Kilda (or any other matchup of two white hot Victorian teams) clash didn't draw at least 80,000.
No - the only acceptable 'Par' attendance now is a sell out, as that has been the case for the last few years. The crowd variation now is basically only determined by how many MCC members show up.

Obviously, if the ANZAC Day Clash is opened up to other clubs, its unlikey to sell out (or even get close ) on most occasions. Also remember that part of the ANZAC day gate is now shared amongst all the clubs, so most clubs would then also have to take a revenue hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No - the only acceptable 'Par' attendance now is a sell out, as that has been the case for the last few years. The crowd variation now is basically only determined by how many MCC members show up.

Obviously, if the ANZAC Day Clash is opened up to other clubs, its unlikey to sell out (or even get close ) on most occasions. Also remember that part of the ANZAC day gate is now shared amongst all the clubs, so most clubs would then also have to take a revenue hit.

Don't forget the dispensation fund, of which this game funds in no small part.

you know, I honestly reckon if you just keep on sooking, then the AFL will notice and magically change things!

Come on champ! Wind up that whinge!!

The AFL have been watching, and are poised to award Anzac Day to North and the Dogs - in fairness to the entire league of course.....

Essendon vs Collingwood, should always stay the same.

What's the point of changing it, '09 was an absolute classic, one of the best games i've ever seen and it takes one bad game out of 15 that makes people complain about "IT DOESN'T DRAW BIG CROWDS" or "IT'S UNFAIR TO OTHER CLUBS" or "THE GAP BETWEEN THE TWO TEAMS IS TOO BIG".

Pretty sure the crowds have always been 70,000+, and it will continue to be that big for years to come if they keep it Collingwood vs Essendon.

Pretty sure every team in the comp has a special game for them, just they haven't been able to promote it as well as these two teams because these two teams have spectator pulling power.

And pretty sure that football is the greatest sport in the world, meaning that anything can happen and the worst teams can sometimes beat the best teams. Even last year, Melbourne only losing by a point and drawing to Collingwood twice, Adelaide beating Geelong, Brisbane beating Collingwood and Essendon beating St Kilda twice are just a few examples.

Apology accepted bud... my point is, and if you look at the Boxing Day Test for an example, that the ANZAC Day match has become bigger than the two teams that are playing it...

Boxing Day Test 1950 Vs England...Att:60,486

1982 Vs England Att:63,900

1983 Vs Pakistan Att:40,240

1984 Vs India Att: 29,108

Fast Forward 20 years and the event of Boxing Day has become more of a Marquee event

2002 Vs England Att:64,189

2003 Vs India Att:62,613

2004 Vs Pakistan Att:61,552

There has been the odd game like Warney's farewell in 2008 when the crowd gets bumped to 89,000 but a 'par' attendance for the Boxing Day Test is between 60 and 70 thousand...And it doesn't matter if it Sri Lanka or South Africa it now happens every time...

To me the ANZAC Day Clash has a 'Par' attendance of between 80,000 and 90,000...I would be very surprised if a Collingwood and St.Kilda (or any other matchup of two white hot Victorian teams) clash didn't draw at least 80,000.

So in this little analogy Australia is who? Collingwood or Essendon?
What will the average be when the boxing Day test is between Sri Lanka and Bangladesh?

Should stick to Collingwood and Essendon. They initiated it,they deserve to keep it-same as Dreamtime at the G (Rich vs Ess). If it was forced to be tinkered with, then it should be played between the previous grand finalists. But the AFL will lose too much money so that won't happen.

I'd leave it as it is. Good luck to the Bombers and Pies.

For me I am more interested in establishing both R1 Rich V Carl and Dreamtime Rich V Ess as genuine 80 K guaranteed blockbusters when and if we get up and running and let the Pies and Bombers keep theirs blockbuster which is a great success.

For me I am more interested in establishing both R1 Rich V Carl and Dreamtime Rich V Ess as genuine 80 K guaranteed blockbusters when and if we get up and running and let the Pies and Bombers keep theirs blockbuster which is a great success.

My thoughts too. Why wreck something that's working beautifully? Better to use it as a model and get some different event games up and running. We don't need a dog in the manger killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Due to Anzac Day and Easter coinciding, Hawthorn will meet Geelong on Tuesday, April 26, which is the Anzac Day public holiday. To ensure both teams have adequate time to recover from that game, the Hawks and Cats have the bye in round six.

So it is two of more recent power victorian teams, surely this will get around 90K just like usual Pies v Essendon ANZAC day game on the Public holiday does.

I think the right result has happened in 2011. Collingwood and Essendon keep the day...but 2 other high finishing teams from the previous year get a game as well.

I think that should end debate. I doubt anyone would argue that Coll v Ess have not earnt the right to play on ANZAC day....I think the greatest debate is whether other teams should get a slice of the pie as well.

My thoughts too. Why wreck something that's working beautifully? Better to use it as a model and get some different event games up and running. We don't need a dog in the manger killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

both excellent posts. Epic metaphor mashing in the second :D

Remove this Banner Ad

MCG Anzac Day match 2011 , If it was your choice , which 2 teams would play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back