McLean trade the best outcome for Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Contrary to what people think, melb supporters included, this is a good trade. A smart trade that will help to boost our young developing list. Brock McLean was reported as saying he was disgruntled at melb by playing negative roles assigned to him by the coach. Unfortuantely at Melb, Brock McLean is going to have to play a number of different roles due to our lack of flexibility. Thats ok, and the best thing for his future is to move to a club where he can be more settled.

GC17 enters in 2011, with that they will be taking the majority of draft picks in that first round. Melbourne now has four selections in the top 20 plus an array of young talent to work with over a 5 year period. As a bottom four club, melb must look to its future through its draft choices. I wish Brock well at Carlton, and i am glad Melbourne have done this. Melbourne is five years away and clearly acknowledges this and is moving in the right direction. Thanks Brock :)

A mature look at the trade - Carlton needed a bit of grunt around the ball which hopefully McLean can bring and in Melbournes case they now have 3 picks in the Top 11 which if I was Melbourne I would be pretty excited about.

Sometimes these trades can be a win/win. Time will tell I suppose.

Its a terrible trade for Melbourne.

Here you have a player - taken at pick 5 only 5 years ago. He is 23 years old with a good 7 years left in his career, has genuine leadership material and is easily one of the better AFL players in the 22-25 age bracket going around.

For a number 5 draft pick Melbourne got their money's worth.

Yet now they offload him for pick 11 in a skinny draft where #11 may as well be #20 (or worse).

So its another player they now need to put 5 years of development into hoping and praying that he will be good as Mclean - he won't be.

They also have given one of their main Melbourne rivals a leg up as well.

Meanwhile I await 2013 when Cale Morton gets traded for pick 9 and Jack Watts gets traded for pick 8.

Only at Mebourne FC would a mantra of buy high, sell low be considered a winning strategy.

Its a terrible trade for Melbourne.

Here you have a player - taken at pick 5 only 5 years ago. He is 23 years old with a good 7 years left in his career, has genuine leadership material and is easily one of the better AFL players in the 22-25 age bracket going around.

For a number 5 draft pick Melbourne got their money's worth.

Yet now they offload him for pick 11 in a skinny draft where #11 may as well be #20 (or worse).

So its another player they now need to put 5 years of development into hoping and praying that he will be good as Mclean - he won't be.

They also have given one of their main Melbourne rivals a leg up as well.

Meanwhile I await 2013 when Cale Morton gets traded for pick 9 and Jack Watts gets traded for pick 8.

Only at Mebourne FC would a mantra of buy high, sell low be considered a winning strategy.

First point: Genuine leadership material? Ok ill credit that he is a good leader, but he wanted to go as he felt that he wasnt being used to his full potential. We lose in that category

Second point: How do you justify pick 11 being the same as 20? Hmm pick 11 is 11 and pick 20 is 20??? :rolleyes:

Third point: How can you tell, without having had the draft or seen the player, that he wont be as good as McLean??

Fourth point: Reinforces why you have chosen the word 'tripper' in your name

there's something wrong with our game when teams/supporters are banking on players/draft picks not yet made.

I totally agree, realistically Melb are a long way from being a top team again, and they def will be one in prob 4-5 yrs, the compromised draft with GC coming in makes this a smart move, I just think both clubs will win out of this, the blues have got that quality tough inside midfielder they desperately need and deepens the midfield, and the dees now have 4 picks inside the top 20? Def a win-win

Second point: How do you justify pick 11 being the same as 20? Hmm pick 11 is 11 and pick 20 is 20??? :rolleyes:
Every recruiter has said that this draft is ordinary. Besides which all the top 17 yo's are on the GC books so that means on a pure facts and figures basis that the top 20 has beeen diluted by about 20-25 percent. If you get a good average player at #11 you will have done well.
Third point: How can you tell, without having had the draft or seen the player, that he wont be as good as McLean??

Well its more likely that he won't be as good as Mclean. On a probability scale #11 in this draft will be lucky to still be on an AFL list in 5 years time.

Every recruiter has said that this draft is ordinary. Besides which all the top 17 yo's are on the GC books so that means on a pure facts and figures basis that the top 20 has beeen diluted by about 20-25 percent. If you get a good average player at #11 you will have done well.

Well its more likely that he won't be as good as Mclean. On a probability scale #11 in this draft will be lucky to still be on an AFL list in 5 years time.

Every recruiter has said it's a shallow draft, not an ordinary one. By shallow, they mean after the first round or so, the talent drops off. Four picks in the top 20 should net four quality players, with the first two hopefully becoming very, very high quality players.

I think the trade will be a win-win if we pick well with no.11 and McLean gets his body right.

Four picks in the top 20 should net four quality players, with the first two hopefully becoming very, very high quality players.

Melbourne are going to win 20 straight premierships with such amazing recruiters.

1998 - lenny hayes
1999 - darren glass
2002 - jason Winderlich
2003 - beau Waters
2005 - Shaun Higgins
2006 - Andrejs Everitt
2008 - Steele Sidebottom

There are a list of players taken at no.11 in various drafts that have turned out good to excellent, and i would rather that melb took beau waters at pick 5 rather than mclean in the 03 draft. I am not saying that this year 11 will be as good as any of those, BUT, for the situation we are in and in the next few years dominated by GC - it is a strategically sound choice. I dont beleive McLean will improve much more, but a better team than melb will be able to extract more from him than us at the moment. And with that calibre of player taken at no.11, who knows what could pop up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every recruiter has said it's a shallow draft, not an ordinary one. By shallow, they mean after the first round or so, the talent drops off. Four picks in the top 20 should net four quality players, with the first two hopefully becoming very, very high quality players.

I think the trade will be a win-win if we pick well with no.11 and McLean gets his body right.

Matt Rendell disagrees with your post on the quality of the draft .

Are you Melbourne supporters as slow as your list management people ?

Understand this.
There are no 17yo's in this draft.

Top shelf 17yo's usually take up 4 or 5 positions in the top 30. (sometimes top 20 in shallow drafts). They won't be there this rime around as the Gold Coast already have them. The draft at the top end has been diluted.

Not only that - the smart clubs took the good 17yo's last year in preparation for this year. So this year there aren't even as many good 18yo's.

Non-Melbourne supporters need to looks at two factors.
1. Mc Lean is sooo slow these days that the way football is going he may be redundant in three years. Yes, his chronic injuries haven't helped but glacier-like pace will never see him as a top liner.
2. Melbourne have too many players like Mclean, namely Moloney, Jones and Valenti.
Melbourne can now take the best two midfielders in the land and use pick 11 to look for a tall forward.

I don't think anyone at Melbourne be it coaches,players,supporters etc believe we are guaranteed success just because we've had high draft picks over the past couple of years!But what it does do is give us good chance to develop a list from the ground up with a core group of players who have been rated highly enough to be chosen with those early picks,which usually is the recipie for having some long term sustained success!

Are you Melbourne supporters as slow as your list management people ?

Understand this.
There are no 17yo's in this draft.

Top shelf 17yo's usually take up 4 or 5 positions in the top 30. (sometimes top 20 in shallow drafts). They won't be there this rime around as the Gold Coast already have them. The draft at the top end has been diluted.

Not only that - the smart clubs took the good 17yo's last year in preparation for this year. So this year there aren't even as many good 18yo's.

Yes but how can you say this? How do you know that this year there are not as many 18 yo??? No-one will know UNTIL that player selected at no.11 has been in the system for several seasons!!!! You can not say that!! The draft is a gamble! You should know that!! Great players have been picked in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!! And great have players have also been picked anywhere between 1-20!! There is ALWAYS a smoky in the draft, always.

I feel sad for Dee fans...but understand you have to try to sugar coat it.

It takes much more than top picks + time , ....even just to make the final eight.

Five years of re-learning how to suck the wooden spoon.... won't help!

In further developments..... Huggies Disposal Nappies and J &J suckable disposable dummies are considering a major sponsorship.... 22 * 22 sets for each player:eek:

( MFC Board & Bailey insists they need more!!!! as they will shit themselves at least twice each quarter!)

Remove this Banner Ad

McLean trade the best outcome for Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back