Media alert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously Buckley at eight above Hird? Buckley was a very skilled footballer but did seem to have the ability of say Voss Hird or even Ricciuto to lift the whole side at critical times. I would also rank Goodes higher - a couple of his efforts on one leg in the final quarter of the last Swans winning grand final were amassing. I suppose in this company the ability to do the critical things to bring about team success is what I would use to seperate the very very good from the exceptional. Or perhaps I am blinkered on Buckley.

It could be I am overcompensating for my intense dislike of the bloke!

Imo, he single handedly took a very average Collingwood side to 2 grand finals. I rate that very highly.

A bit of Lions love in Mike Sheahan's top 50 of the past 25 years.
6. Voss
14. Black
29. Akermanis
34. Brown
38. Lynch
49. Lappin

Interestingly the readers have Brown and Black at 5 and 7

Full list here
What have you got against Paul Roos? (number 21) :)

One captain tipped Jaden McGrath to win the Rising Star award for the Captains make their call article on the AFL website. I found that strange considering I thought most captains would not have heard of him (not a top 15 pick or pumped up in the media like Cockatoo). I don't think captains could vote for their own team mates as well.

Others to be nominated were Hawk Jed Anderson (two), and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, Carlton's Patrick Cripps, Crow Matt Crouch, Magpie Jordan De Goey, Sun Jarrod Garlett, St Kilda's Patrick McCartin, Lion Jaden McGrath, Collingwood's Matt Scharenburg and North's Kayne Turner, all of whom won a single vote.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-25/captains-call

McGrath played for the Vic side since under 12's right through, he would be well known to many people. Bit of a mystery he slipped so far in the draft, despite a lot of injuries last year.

I Just fired in a question about whether Justin see's any of the boys playing a tagging/tight defensive role this season. Personally I hope we do at times this year, Bewick did a good job when called upon last year but I like him on the wing more to be honest. Obviously, its always tough to stop the best opposition players but at times I think we could do a better job of this, curious if anyone else agrees or am I being a touch unfair?

I Just fired in a question about whether Justin see's any of the boys playing a tagging/tight defensive role this season. Personally I hope we do at times this year, Bewick did a good job when called upon last year but I like him on the wing more to be honest. Obviously, its always tough to stop the best opposition players but at times I think we could do a better job of this, curious if anyone else agrees or am I being a touch unfair?

With Raines gone; we've already improved our tagging :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Jnr begs to differ

I feel that's a myth around these parts; averaged 33 possessions against us over past 5 matches and Brisbane is 4th overall for Brownlow votes against us by GAJ :$

Following him around with little impact is what I saw when Raines attempted to tag him :thumbsdown:

Rockliff: Beams can take Lions to finals

Brisbane Lions captain Tom Rockliff says Dayne Beams is loving life in the sunshine state and is already having an impact at the AFL club.

Former Collingwood star Beams' move back to his home state was one of the biggest moves of the AFL off-season, uniting him with his brother Claye at the Lions.

He has hit the ground running, twice leading the club's possession count during their unbeaten NAB Challenge pre-season campaign.

Rockliff revealed Beams had bonded with new teammates off the field too, including a Saturday afternoon punting session at his place.

Season preview by Mike Whiting on AFL.com.au
Best 22B: Darcy Gardiner, Daniel Merrett, Ryan Lester
HB: Daniel Rich, Justin Clarke, Claye Beams
C: Jed Adcock, Dayne Beams, Pearce Hanley
HF: Allen Christensen, Michael Close, Lewy Taylor
F: Josh Green, Dan McStay, Stefan Martin
Foll: Matthew Leuenberger, Tom Rockliff, Dayne Zorko
I/C: James Aish, Jack Redden, Mitch Robinson
Sub: Rohan Bewick

Health of the listWhat had been an exceptional pre-season for the Lions lost its gloss with the long-term hip injury to Pearce Hanley, which will see the star Irishman sidelined until after the mid-season break. Allen Christensen got a late start following back surgery, but is now running into nice shape, while injury-prone ruckmen Matthew Leuenberger and Stefan Martin also look in fine fettle after strong pre-seasons.

The big questionsCan they kick enough goals?With their key position forwards still a year or two from developing, the Lions will rely on their nippy forward line and midfielders for goals. With Green, Zorko, Christensen, Taylor, Beams and Rockliff – it might be unconventional, but - there are enough avenues to score if they're given the supply.

Can Leuenberger and Martin stay fit? And work together?If – and it's a big if given their history – they can stay on the park for the entire season, the Leuenberger-Martin combination could be one of the most devastating in the AFL. Leuenberger's agility and Martin's brute force should ensure both will compete strongly not only in the ruck, but when they're resting forward as well.

How will Dayne Beams cope with being tagged every week?With Hanley sitting in the grandstand and Rich playing off half-back, Beams will always be the No.1 target of opposition stoppers. Playing alongside Scott Pendlebury and Dane Swan for his entire career, it will be a new challenge for Beams, but you'd expect class to prevail in the end.

Summer standout: Ryan LesterAfter starting as a half-forward and moving to the inside midfield role in recent years, Lester has put his hand up to take over Joel Patfull's backline spot. He has trained the house down and not only improved physically, but also poured in hours and hours of extra work to learn his new role.

Fantasy cash cow: Daniel RichAfter missing all but three matches last season with an ACL injury, Rich has had a great pre-season and is ready to rock come round one. Despite being used at half-back rather than his former midfield role, Rich is just $268,000, and with the Lions looking for him as often as possible when they transition to attack, he should easily exceed that value.

Sudden impact: Dayne BeamsHard to go past the star Collingwood recruit who comes to the Lions with a premiership and Copeland Trophy. Beams is in the prime of his career at the age of 25, has 110 games under his belt and is ready to fire after a strong first pre-season at his new club. Will get more opposition attention, but should have plenty of help around him with Rockliff, Redden, Zorko and co.

It's crunch time for… Matthew LeuenbergerThe big West Australian becomes a free agent at the end of the year, and with his 2014 ruined by knee and Achilles problems, Leuenberger needs a good season. He is valued enormously at the Lions, but for his own peace of mind, would love to play close to every week and re-assert himself as one of the AFL's premier ruckmen.

Pivotal match: round three v Richmond (Gabba)While the season opener in front of a near-capacity Gabba crowd against Collingwood is crucial, this match two weeks later could top it. No matter what happens in the first fortnight (they have North Melbourne in between), both supporters and the team will have plenty of belief entering week three. A win over the Tigers – a team the Lions have a shocking record against – will only fuel that belief. A loss could get a bit of the "here we go again" going among fans.

The Brisbane Lions will have a good year if…They improve defensively. Last season there were too many times the opposition rattled up goals in a hurry and took the game away in a single quarter. We're not just talking the back six, it's defence all over the ground. The Lions have enough speed and skill to score if they're given the chance, but must give themselves that chance by keeping the opposition quiet.

AFL.com.au consensus predicted ladder finish: 12th

Premiership clock: The young Lions are not in their window yet, but with an A-grade midfield and a developing list, the future is definitely bright up north.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back