Media personality bias registry

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Would be a handy reference point to have a list of the main current footy media types with known bias/leanings towards particular clubs

Some are obvious and well known, others aren't. There will be heaps I missed, so please add more.

Kevin Bartlett - Richmond
James Brayshaw - North Melbourne
Bill Brownless - Geelong
Matthew Campbell - Brisbane Lions
Michael Christian - Collingwood
Luke Darcy - Western Bulldogs
Jason Dunstall - Hawthorn
Andrew Hamilton - Sydney
Anthony Hudson - Geelong
Glen Jakovich - West Coast
Tim Lane - Carlton
Sam Lane - Carlton
Matthew Lloyd - Essendon
Alastair Lynch - Brisbane Lions
Gary Lyon - Melbourne
Andy Maher - Carlton
David Parkin - Carlton
Liam Pickering - Geelong
Steven Quartermain - Hawthorn
Matthew Richardson - Richmond
Mark Robinson - Essendon
Dwayne Russell - Port Adelaide
David Schwarz - Melbourne
Tony Shaw - Collingwood
Rohan Smith - Western Bulldogs
Kellie Underwood - Geelong
Robert Walls - Carlton
Tim Watson - Essendon
Caroline Wilson - Richmond

Ones I am keen to know...

Damien Barrett - ???
Denis Commetti - ???
Rohan Connolly - ???
Craig Hutchison - ???
Bruce McAvaney - ??? (Possibly Adelaide?)
Jon Ralph - ???
Mike Sheahan - ???

Bruce McAvaney is from Adelaide, but he is a massive, closeted Bombers fan

I've known this for years. You can hear it clearly in every Essendon game he commentates. His voice rises up a few octaves with excitement when his beloved Bombers get on a roll.

He remembers all these little, obscure things from past Essendon games & about Essendon footballers that even the most diehard Bomber fan would struggle to remember. Not just stats - he'll blurt something like, "I remember that game from 2003 when Laycock outmarked Dean Cox just before half time and he went on to kick 3 goals in the second half. He has never been able to replicate that form since".

The other commentators will fall into silence, thinking to themselves, "Yeah, whatever, you psycho"

The funniest give away was a few years ago when Scotty Lucas ran into an open goal and nearly got run down by a Melbourne player. McAvaney screamed "KICK IT!!!" in unison with 30,000 hysterical Bomber fans. I remember this incident because I started a thread about it. It was Neil Daniher's last game as coach and 16th placed Melbourne were sentimental favourites. EVERYONE was barracking for Melbourne and hoped they'd cause an upset. Everyone except Bruce....

It's time for Brucey to come out of the closet and admit what he really is! :D

Bruce McAvaney is from Adelaide, but he is a massive, closeted Bombers fan

I've known this for years.
You can hear it clearly in every Essendon game he commentates. His voice rises up a few octaves with excitement when his beloved Bombers get on a roll.

He remembers all these little, obscure things from past Essendon games & about Essendon footballers that even the most diehard Bomber fan would struggle to remember. Not just stats - he'll blurt something like, "I remember that game from 2003 when Laycock outmarked Dean Cox just before half time and he went on to kick 3 goals in the second half. He has never been able to replicate that form since".

The other commentators will fall into silence, thinking to themselves, "Yeah, whatever, you psycho"

The funniest give away was a few years ago when Scotty Lucas ran into an open goal and nearly got run down by a Melbourne player. McAvaney screamed "KICK IT!!!" in unison with 30,000 hysterical Bomber fans. I remember this incident because I started a thread about it. It was Neil Daniher's last game as coach and 16th placed Melbourne were sentimental favourites. EVERYONE was barracking for Melbourne and hoped they'd cause an upset. Everyone except Bruce....

It's time for Brucey to come out of the closet and admit what he really is! :D

You're not onto anything special (pun intended) because Bruce is an open Bombers fan. There's been photos of him and his sons in the paper wearing Essendon gear talking about watching the Bombers as a family.

You're not onto anything special (pun intended) because Bruce is an open Bombers fan. There's been photos of him and his sons in the paper wearing Essendon gear talking about watching the Bombers as a family.

There you go. Lock it in, Eddie...

You'd be surprised at how few people are even aware that Bruce McAvaney is an Essendon fan
I think Brucey is as biased as they get.

It makes me laugh at how much shit Eddie McGuire copped for his commentary during Collingwood games, but Bruce the Stealth Bomber has gotten away with his blatant Essendon bias for years.

I don't think I've ever seen an Andrew Hamilton article on the Swans.

It's because he is based in Brisbane and spends 99 percent of his time writing about the Lions.

He is a big Swans supporter though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheBrownDog said:
David Parkin - Carlton
David Parkin is a Hawthorn man. He played 211 games and captained our 1971 premiership team. He also coached the Hawks - he was probably the first ever assistant coach in 1976, when he helped John Kennedy take the Hawks to a flag, then got the head coach job in 1977 and coached our 1978 premiership. Parko returned to Hawthorn in 2001 and became our "director of coaching" after his coaching career at Carlton.

The thing about Parkin's Hawthorn bias is that he so conscious of being impartial, he is shockingly biased against Hawthorn. He used to infuriate me with his constant hypercritical remarks when he commentated during Foxtel games. It was slightly insane.

Of course, Parkin would also have a soft spot for Carlton, having been there for so long. It's the same with many people who were involved with two clubs over a long period of time. You find many ex-players and coaches are not nearly as fervent and passionate as we are, once their careers are over. They don't barrack like we do.

TheBrownDog said:
Mike Sheahan - ???
Melbourne

Sheahan is the least parochial of all the football media

He is the only one who has not let his club affiliation interfere with his job.

Damien Barrett - biased against Richmond. Then again, you have to be at the HUN. Ralph is a Tigers fan but compensates by knowing nothing about the club and its players.
Rohan Connolly - another Essendon fanboy.

Yes!

I reckon every article I've read of his in the past month has been about Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media personality bias registry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back