Expansion Media reaction: SL-NRL expansion vs. AFL two-team expansion plans

Remove this Banner Ad

If you spin the debate to argue the standard AFL ownership structure is a competitive advantage in favour of AFL against rival brands of football, then I may very well agree with you. However, that is not your argument.

Not exactly those words , but that's what we were saying .

x % of professional football/sports clubs from all brands of football and sports around the world are privately owned and x % of those have as their primary object to be embraced by their local communities and in turn put back into the local community another 100-x % however are in their purely to make money .

IMO most people would say the owners of the NFL are in it for the money , status or tax dodge . I am unaware that they do anything outside of their football team business .

...IMO most people would say the owners of the NFL are in it for the money , status or tax dodge . I am unaware that they do anything outside of their football team business ...
Yes, its just all business - that's why some have even pulled up stumps at one city to move to another that makes them a better offer.

The one team that has stayed put in a very small city (even smaller than Geelong) is Green Bay. And that is because its a membership based club and has fierce loyalty underlike any private franchise. Its been many years since the over 72,000 capacity Lambeau Field hasn't been a sell-out (in a city smaller than Geelong).

Memberships have been sold out since 1960, and more than 74,000 names remain on the waiting list. The locals have true ownership of the club, and across the nation, it has a greater following than any of the run for private profit franchises, despite it being an "up-country " club compared to all the big city franchises.

Its also a huge myth or misconception that most sports fans in the US follow professional privately owned clubs. They don't. By far and away the most watched sports (both in attendances and TV audience) are the 100% amateur NCAA, in football and basketball. Michigan College average about 112,000 per game - the highest in the world.

These teams never relocate, and again (like Green Bay), they have a much higher loyalty and sense of ownership from the community than any of the professional private franchises, which many in the U.S don't follow closely (apart from the once a year superbowl 'event').

The AFL have looked closely at many aspects in the U.S, with some execs going their every year, and they have no doubt have noticed the greater support and committment given to clubs that are not just privately owned franchises, run for private profit, but instead are membership/community owned clubs.

Yes, its just all business - that's why some have even pulled up stumps at one city to move to another that makes them a better offer.

The one team that has stayed put in a very small city (even smaller than Geelong) is Green Bay. And that is because its a membership based club and has fierce loyalty underlike any private franchise. Its been many years since the over 72,000 capacity Lambeau Field hasn't been a sell-out (in a city smaller than Geelong).

Memberships have been sold out since 1960, and more than 74,000 names remain on the waiting list. The locals have true ownership of the club, and across the nation, it has a greater following than any of the run for private profit franchises, despite it being an "up-country " club compared to all the big city franchises.

Its also a huge myth or misconception that most sports fans in the US follow professional privately owned clubs. They don't. By far and away the most watched sports (both in attendances and TV audience) are the 100% amateur NCAA, in football and basketball. Michigan College average about 112,000 per game - the highest in the world.

These teams never relocate, and again (like Green Bay), they have a much higher loyalty and sense of ownership from the community than any of the professional private franchises, which many in the U.S don't follow closely (apart from the once a year superbowl 'event').

The AFL have looked closely at many aspects in the U.S, with some execs going their every year, and they have no doubt have noticed the greater support and committment given to clubs that are not just privately owned franchises, run for private profit, but instead are membership/community owned clubs.

That is absolutely ____ing astounding!

110k for a school game!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

That is absolutely ____ing astounding!

110k for a school game!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
College/University, actually (though in some places, especially in Texas, even high school games get up to 50-60,000).

Unless you spend some time in America, you probably can't realise how massively popular and ingrainded into their culture that the NCAA is in (American) football and basketball (though not in baseball, which has another culture of its own), even though its obviously a quite lower standard than the professional level.

When in season, the major colleges in NCAA football pull in the worlds biggest crowds, week in, week out, and the NCAA has a much broader reach across the USA than the NFL (same for NBA) e.g. the Los Angeles area (with #20 million population) have no NFL side, but are massive followers of NCAA. Even in areas with the NFL, like Texas, the NCAA still rule in crowds and overall support.

So like I said, its a myth that most Amercians (99% was quoted earlier in this thread) follow privately owned franchises - in fact quite the opposite. Most NCAA supporters despise the corporate, privately owned (often by big companies such as News Ltd or Disney etc) culture of the NFL, and, in fact, have a culture not unlike our own Australian Football culture - a belief that it is a part of their own unique (in this case, American) cultural heritage, and showing their support actively by attending games, thus resulting in massive corwds.

Here's an excellent (Australian based) thread covering NCAA stadiums, history and "culture" -
http://www.austadiums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1854

So the lesson here? Avoid private ownership as much as possible. Supporters and/or football body ownership is by far the best way to go, in ordeer to build a committed supporter base, and with all profits being ulitimately returned to the benefit of the game itself - and not into the pockets of a private entrepreneur - or some foreign based multi-national media corporation.

Is there any way to find newspaper headlines from The Age (Melbourne) and/or The West Australian (Perth) (the Herald Sun and The Advertiser must be discounted for obvious reasons) from 1994 or 1995 (re Western Reds, Adelaide Rams) or 1997 (re Melbourne Storm)?

I want to compare the reaction of the media when the Reds, Rams and Storm joined the fray in their respective (AFL) cities to the current fear-mongering and over-the-top sensationalist garbage from what we've seen in recent days.

Also, I want to know if an Executive Sports Editor of a major daily newspaper was moved to pen an Opinion piece back in the day, considering Sydney The Daily Telegraph's Phil Rothfield piece with this emotive garbage ... "They (the AFL) clearly have rugby league in their sights" ... on Sunday.

Some examples from recent days:

AFL blitz on (rugby) league heartland
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23226098-5001023,00.html

AFL invades NSW
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23225631-5006065,00.html

AFL tsunami to sweep (rugby) league
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23228787-5001030,00.html

(Rugby) League cries poor as AFL signals $100m move north
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23229891-5012432,00.html

This is a genuine exercise in media studies.

Any t1t-for-tat AFL-v-NRL can go elsewhere. I'd like to discuss why the current media climate, esp. in Sydney, on this issue.

Well Perth is a lot more open to a variety of sports whereas Melbourne isnt. There was massive anticipation when the Reds AND the Force were on the chalkboard. Unfortunately the Reds were part of the ARL camp and got the chop with the compromise deal, despite getting much bigger crowds than in Melbourne.

That's why Melbourne was overlooked by the Super 14 and why the Storm 2 premierships later really can't get 5 figure crowds still.

Well Perth is a lot more open to a variety of sports whereas Melbourne isnt. There was massive anticipation when the Reds AND the Force were on the chalkboard. Unfortunately the Reds were part of the ARL camp and got the chop with the compromise deal, despite getting much bigger crowds than in Melbourne.

That's why Melbourne was overlooked by the Super 14 and why the Storm 2 premierships later really can't get 5 figure crowds still.

Is that a fact huh?

I can see a heap of mistakes in this post nick, you want to fix it up? :rolleyes:

Well Perth is a lot more open to a variety of sports whereas Melbourne isnt. There was massive anticipation when the Reds AND the Force were on the chalkboard.
I get what you're trying to say and I agree.

Unfortunately the Reds were part of the ARL camp and got the chop with the compromise deal, despite getting much bigger crowds than in Melbourne.
ARL or Super League??

That's why Melbourne was overlooked by the Super 14 ...
WA was the easier and most logical next option.

and why the Storm 2 premierships later really can't get 5 figure crowds still.
Venue is a major reason.

Im guessing that this was about expansion for both codes?
Here is my theory for NRL

2012 Central Coast
2013 Western Reds
2017 Either Sunshine Coast or West Bris Team -either way another Qld Team

Wellington is also on the cards, but IMO soccer has beat NRL to it, also NZRL needs to do their bit there.

Cronulla Sharks to either fold or be the team to goto Central Coast in 2011/12 - could be CC Sharks or Central Coast just take on colours and agree to play rivals dragons at Toyota Stadium
OR Cronulla to relocate to Adelaide and be the Adelaide Sharks in mid 2010's
Roosters to be given $12 million by the NRL to relocate to QLD if Roosters dont take then a new team be located in QLD.
Tigers to play 8/12 home games at Campbelltown.

Actually it was mainly because they were promised a stadium .
Secondly it was seen as a stopping off point to the RSA .

Ive spoken to Jans Prinsloo and their confident the South african government will give funding too, also a south african team will tour england later this year and also will come to australia next year.

North Sydney to the Central Coast.

Forget Adelaide, it offers nothing, let the AFL have it. Their population growth in the next 50 years is virtually zero.

If we need to include them they can enter the JB Cup and give them decent TV coverage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Sydney to the Central Coast.

Forget Adelaide, it offers nothing, let the AFL have it. Their population growth in the next 50 years is virtually zero.

If we need to include them they can enter the JB Cup and give them decent TV coverage.

I dont think Bears to CC will work, we saw what happened with the Northern Eagles, the CC wants their own team.
It would be a disaster IMO if bears shift to CC.

I agree that coverage must be better, but Im open to the idea of League returning to Adelaide.

You don't need Adelaide, but it is a city of over 1 million people, over double the size of the Gold Coast and Newcastle.
The only reason the NRL doesn't target it is because rugby league is about as well known and popular as bog snorkelling.

True, and because the reward for spending the time and $$$ on overcoming that prejudice is not great. The rewards are obvious in Melbourne, and to a lesser extent Perth, but Adelaide? There are far greater commercial opportunities by including a Wellington team or a west of Brisbane team (such as Ipswish) or even the Sunshine Coast.

Imagine a Gold Coast v Sunshine Coast derby!!!!!!! fcuk me what a derby that would be.

What about this for QLD derbies annually:

Ipswich v Brisbane
Ipswich v North Queensland
Ipswich v Gold Coast
Gold Coast v Brisbane
Gold Coast v Ipswich
Gold Coast v North Queensland
North Queensland v Brisbane
North Queensland v Gold Coast
North Queensland v Ipswich
Brisbane v Gold Coast
Brisbane v North Queensland
Brisbane v Ipswich

*Ipswich or Sunshine Coast

True, and because the reward for spending the time and $$$ on overcoming that prejudice is not great. The rewards are obvious in Melbourne, and to a lesser extent Perth, but Adelaide? There are far greater commercial opportunities by including a Wellington team or a west of Brisbane team (such as Ipswish) or even the Sunshine Coast.

Imagine a Gold Coast v Sunshine Coast derby!!!!!!! fcuk me what a derby that would be.

Ipswich v Brisbane
Ipswich v Gold Coast
Gold Coast v Brisbane
Gold Coast v Ipswich
Brisbane v Gold Coast
Brisbane v Ipswich

Ipswich wont happen. 147,000 people is not enough to justify a NRL team.

"That's a big , big , BIG call saying that Brisbane will fold ."

By simple implication .
major:eek:
I'm pretty sure I immediately when on to say this:

Ipswich v Brisbane
Ipswich v Gold Coast
Gold Coast v Brisbane
Gold Coast v Ipswich
Brisbane v Gold Coast
Brisbane v Ipswich

Yet by applying your interprative skills you implied that I was saying Brisbane would not be around for any future Gold Coast v Sunshine Coast derby?

Are you on drugs old man? Can I have some.

I see the pathetic thugby trolls have highjacked this thread.as usual What nothing of interest on your own threads? Geez they are paraniod:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Media reaction: SL-NRL expansion vs. AFL two-team expansion plans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back