Autopsy Round 5, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives:
  • The ability to not lie down after the first 20 minutes and lose by 10 goals plus. In the past, this one would have been all over, even against an undermanned side.
  • Witherden, Rotham, Hough all had a tough start individually, and it looked like one of those days. All fought back really well - especially Hough to keep Bolton pretty well quiet after quarter time.
  • Midfield was exceptional. Yeo and Kelly dominated as they should have and Harley showed us whats to come in the future.
  • Ginbey, Chesser and Long all had an impact on the game. Although possessions weren't high - 13 for all - they impacted positively in defence and gave the side run and carry on offence. Should all gain significant confidence from that performance.
  • Bailey Williams toiled really well against an experienced big bodied ruck. A couple of crucial contested marks
  • Petch putting in a four quarter effort - Looking settled. This needs to be the bench mark.
  • Jake the Snake - like Petch - a four quarter effort which we haven't seen. His work rate was second to none. Can't expect him to have sticky mits like that every week, but we can expect that effort. Working hard up the ground to be the link across half forward and then getting back to compete in F50.
  • Cripps, Brockman - both worked hard and had their moment. Cripps quelled Vlaustin's influence after the first 20 minutes of the game.
  • Maric and JWill - both didn't impact a whole lot, but had their moments throughout and are showing positive signs.
  • Duggan, Cole, TB and Gov - all positively impacted the team without starring.

Negatives:
  • That start. Do that against better oppo and we are in serious strife
  • Could have won by 10 goals, with better conversion in the second half. It looked quite a swearly breeze, may have impacted some set shots.

All in all, the happiest I have been watching the team in a long time.

Selection will be interesting and tough on anyone if they get dropped - which is the sign of a good side.

Jamo (assuming he was taken out of the game for structual purposes) to come back in - due to Freo's tall forwards. Witho the unlucky one.
Hoping to give Ryan one more in the WAFL, before rejoining the AFL side.
Hall or Johnston to replace LEdwards would be nice - but have a feeling it will be Sheed.

Maric potentially out for team balance and a more versatile player in as sub.

Lets bring effort and intent to derby week.

So you’re happy now. Welcome aboard the Harley train toot toot

i purchased tickets for the Harley train as soon as he was a an official eagle.

i have high expectations of a man with his ability and genetic quality. He is proving the hype was and is real.

The most impressive thing he did on he weekend was twice pick up his teammate from the ground at the bottom of a pack. He's a individual superstar with a team first mindset. Extremely dangerous.

i purchased tickets for the Harley train as soon as he was a an official eagle.

i have high expectations of a man with his ability and genetic quality. He is proving the hype was and is real.

The most impressive thing he did on he weekend was twice pick up his teammate from the ground at the bottom of a pack. He's a individual superstar with a team first mindset. Extremely dangerous.

He’s also often the first in to congratulate a teammate after a goal. Has genuine joy at seeing his mates do well

Some forget that Jake was at a pretty good level before his last illness, it was only a matter of time. Not sure if the same can be said about old Darling but he works hard and attracts some heat, 1-2 goals a game would be good.
Overall team chemistry seemed to be gelling, these things do take time, but as long as we can back it up next week with same intent, and thereafter. (wins aside)
The young ones are starting to improve, apart from the obvious ones, Chesser, Hough, Long and Maric showing some grit.
Could probably say the Swans and/or the Tigers game was where we turned a corner, or pulled the nose up...let's keep on going, Hey-ho!

"Eagles beat an injury hit Tigers!"

Wouldn't have minded having
Allen
Hewett
Ryan
Sheed
Bazzo
Flynn

Fully fit and available
Yeah the commentators really started push the injured Tigers line late in the 3rd when it was all but certain we were going to win.
But if you have a look at their injuries, they had 9 pretty good players out. Not taking anything away from our performance but they were worse off than us, which is a bloody nice change.

Coaches gave the 10 votes to Yeo. 8 for Jake, 6 for Kelly and 4 for Reid. Bolton and Duggan got 2 and 1 respectively.

Thought Reid was better than Kelly but maybe I'm overly influenced by his shitty inside 50s.
There was someone in our votes saying if you gave 5 to yeo you were a salty water hater 😞 Screenshot_20240415_133905_AFL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this point I don’t really care about the song. Just so long as they keep playing it at the end of games I’ll be happy to be sick of it.

Could it be improved? Yes, sure. Reckon most of us would get down to eagle rock, over our current song. But think like a lot of things of late the club will look to address in due course. It’s just at the bottom of a long list.
They should have just got Daddy Cool to re-record Eagle Rock years ago with slightly different words.

Hell, do it now. All the other songs are just rejigged covers anyway.

It's a great song, it's fun to belt out, it works acapella, why not?

Old mate who sits next to me turned up when we were 2 goals down already, he watched about 5 mins muttering expletives under his breath until we were 4 goals down then completely lost his rag, got up abused a bunch of Eagles players ending with " I can't believe I pay money to watch this sh**, I flipping can't watch it anymore" and stormed off leaving his wife sitting there bemused. It was hilarious, He sheepishly came back after we kicked a couple. I leaned over and said "all they needed was rev up from you" he had a laugh at himself and behaved for the rest of the day.

+ Yeo
Jake
Harley
T K
Ginbey
Duggan had a solid game, hard at it and less clangers than usual, The rest of the backline cleaned up their act after the first 10 mins, The escape goats Rotham, Cole, were ok, even Witherden wasn't too bad, still slow but his kicking was good.

That winning feeling, most fans in the stadium were still nervous at 3/4 time even with a 7 goal lead, It was sweet relief watching the last 5 mins knowing we were going to win.

- That first 10 mins was dire.
Didn't kick straight the last 40 mins, should have kicked 20 goals.

Old mate who sits next to me turned up when we were 2 goals down already, he watched about 5 mins muttering expletives under his breath until we were 4 goals down then completely lost his rag, got up abused a bunch of Eagles players ending with " I can't believe I pay money to watch this sh**, I *ing can't watch it anymore" and stormed off leaving his wife sitting there bemused. It was hilarious, He sheepishly came back after we kicked a couple. I leaned over and said "all they needed was rev up from you" he had a laugh at himself and behaved for the rest of the day.

+ Yeo
Jake
Harley
T K
Ginbey
Duggan had a solid game, hard at it and less clangers than usual, The rest of the backline cleaned up their act after the first 10 mins, The escape goats Rotham, Cole, were ok, even Witherden wasn't too bad, still slow but his kicking was good.

That winning feeling, most fans in the stadium were still nervous at 3/4 time even with a 7 goal lead, It was sweet relief watching the last 5 mins knowing we were going to win.

Should have asked him if he has considered being Simmos assistant and how is his Gatorade throwing technique.

Yeah the commentators really started push the injured Tigers line late in the 3rd when it was all but certain we were going to win.
But if you have a look at their injuries, they had 9 pretty good players out. Not taking anything away from our performance but they were worse off than us, which is a bloody nice change.

No doubt they were hit hard, but we had some more than handy outs as well

So Waterman did break the club record for most contested marks in a game. Kinda impressive for a bloke not renowned for it and I doubt he will get close to it again but if he does it means he’s added another string to his bow and is working on his game. Tbf being an undersized KPD you generally need to be a decent contested grab and thats what made JD in his day playing undersized. He’s got a real test this weekend playing in two blokes in AA form.

One last negative from the game,
Are Richmond immune from holding the ball and incorrect disposal.
Because we won and it was a great game this seems to have gone under the radar a bit but there were some awful non decisions yesterday.
My favourite one was when the Ricjomond player got tackled and threw it away within 5 metres of the umpire for no call, only for the same umpire to call in the back 3 seconds later against Chesser.

Old mate who sits next to me turned up when we were 2 goals down already, he watched about 5 mins muttering expletives under his breath until we were 4 goals down then completely lost his rag, got up abused a bunch of Eagles players ending with " I can't believe I pay money to watch this sh**, I *ing can't watch it anymore" and stormed off leaving his wife sitting there bemused. It was hilarious, He sheepishly came back after we kicked a couple. I leaned over and said "all they needed was rev up from you" he had a laugh at himself and behaved for the rest of the day.

+ Yeo
Jake
Harley
T K
Ginbey

good review mate and like your usage of " escape goats "

One last negative from the game,
Are Richmond immune from holding the ball and incorrect disposal.
Because we won and it was a great game this seems to have gone under the radar a bit but there were some awful non decisions yesterday.
Yep very noticable. But I think it is the way it is going this year. Umps are very reluctant to call HTB even on very obvious ones as long as the ball comes free play on

Yep very noticable. But I think it is the way it is going this year. Umps are very reluctant to call HTB even on very obvious ones as long as the ball comes free play on
Which is all good but if you try to dispose of the ball and miss you are penalised, if you just let it go it's play on, which is why more players are just dropping it.

Which is all good but if you try to dispose of the ball and miss you are penalised, if you just let it go it's play on, which is why more players are just dropping it.
I agree thats how it should be adjudicated but it seems like a directive, forget about incorrect diaposal, as long as the ball comes out then play on.

So Waterman did break the club record for most contested marks in a game. Kinda impressive for a bloke not renowned for it and I doubt he will get close to it again but if he does it means he’s added another string to his bow and is working on his game. Tbf being an undersized KPD you generally need to be a decent contested grab and thats what made JD in his day playing undersized. He’s got a real test this weekend playing in two blokes in AA form.
He's not renowned for it but that's not down to ability and more to his lack of height.vs modern defenders.

Ideally Waterman gets 15 touches a game and kicks a goal or two connecting mids to forwards.

Since 2018 we've always played our best football with Waterman in the side and nothing has changed there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 5, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back