Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The scoreboard at the Punt Rd end went on the blink today, so the video screen also had the score ala Etihad Stadium. Seeing as it was St Kilda's home game tonight it would have made them feel right at home I suppose.

I noticed that on TV. Would that be the first time it happened since they were put in?

Love love the new Bunton sports bar in the AFL members section. Just one tiny thing: with the about of TV monitors in there, could we please have 1 or 2 tuned to the other game being played (if there is one). E.g was at the G last Sat night watching Saints - Hawks, & with that game well in the bag, tried to find somewhere in the AFL members with a TV showing the Swans - Crows conclusion (as I'd tipped the Crows). Couldn't find a 1 - had to walk right round to Olympic Stand TAB! :confused:

Love love the new Bunton sports bar in the AFL members section. Just one tiny thing: with the about of TV monitors in there, could we please have 1 or 2 tuned to the other game being played (if there is one). E.g was at the G last Sat night watching Saints - Hawks, & with that game well in the bag, tried to find somewhere in the AFL members with a TV showing the Swans - Crows conclusion (as I'd tipped the Crows). Couldn't find a 1 - had to walk right round to Olympic Stand TAB! :confused:
yeah it's pretty hard to find one. Before a game earlier this year a pie boy, ground steward and myself (fast food worker) try and find a telly before our shifts started. We were eventually crowded around the super store window watching the Lions get over the Eagles with twenty other people. My fast food outlet (outlet 13, level 1 olympic stand) has shows the big screen vision, abc news 24 and a random fox sports channel...but never the other game :S

First time I went to the G yesterday this year, and I forgot how much atmosphere there in the whole district. What a lot of people probably don't get to see is on big game days, Richmond is just saturated with people walking the streets, packing out pubs, and walking all around the whole Yarra Park area. Just one of the greatest sports precints in the world - even when Yarra Park is empty as you walk through at night like i did yesterday, the G & the light towers pose an impressive figure.

Nothing has ever beaten the Hawks v Geelong 08 Granny though - only time I have ever looked around the G and you couldn't see any empty seats, and the sound that 100,000 people make is unbelievable.

Question: Row GG in the Olympic Stand, is that right up the back or at the front? Is it say AA-GG..., then A-Z, or A-Z, then AA-GG...

Thanks!

GG is in the nosebleeds. All the levels at the MCG go A-Z, then the bottom/top tiers go AA-onwards after row Z
It's not in the nosebleeds if it's on Level M though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the Stars v Thunder game on Tuesday. Sat in Level 2 of the Southern (new seats), almost around to the Olympic. New seats were lovely, view was good, PA was 10000000% better than AO (bay of speakers above the hill, but that will be fixed with the upgrade).

BUT

As a cricket watcher used to having a full-on scoreboard available all the time, I totally HATED not having all the information available to me all the time.
Surely there's a way that more can be there. How come the Over, Run Rate, Required Run Rate, Par Runs, AND PowerPlay overs can be shown all the time (like AO but adding PP overs). I'm used to seeing which bowlers have bowled what (not just current bowler), and which batsmen scored what and got out when, and who's in next (not just current batsmen) all the time.

If I'm at home watching the cricket on TV I usually have Cricinfo going on my laptop to give me the extra information. Can't really do that at the game :p

Anyone else felt that way?

That's the beauty of the old scoreboards of Adelaide Oval and the WACA - they can give a complete snapshot of matches video screens cannot.

Short of installing a couple of extra screens purely dedicated to cricket scores (which could be used as extra video screens during the AFL season), not sure what the MCG (and other grounds that have remove their old scoreboards) can do to rectify this.

Didn't really like the old scoreboard at the WACA when I've been there. I like the score and other information instantly updating rather than waiting for some blokes to manually change it. Old scoreboards aren't too bright either (visually).
I'm happy to wait a few seconds, that's the compromise between having the full innings info all the time and having the half-arse jobs you get when you use replay screens and LED strips like the MCG. And WACA and AO have floodlights on the scoreboards, but for some reason at the moment AO at least forgets to turn them on, so yes it does get a bit dull at night, especially trying to read names next to the "striking batsman" light etc.

But overall, I'd MUCH rather have a full innings scoreboard running manually (thus with a minor delay) than not have all the information.

That's the beauty of the old scoreboards of Adelaide Oval and the WACA - they can give a complete snapshot of matches video screens cannot.

Well, they can. But they choose not to.

The WACA one can be a bit hard to read though - and they tend to be a bit overrated. Even the simple '45 runs needed off 32 balls' can't be conveyed by a manual scoreboard. Which for one dayers and T20 matches is really all you care about.

Well, they can. But they choose not to.

The WACA one can be a bit hard to read though - and they tend to be a bit overrated. Even the simple '45 runs needed off 32 balls' can't be conveyed by a manual scoreboard. Which for one dayers and T20 matches is really all you care about.
Hence you complement it with the stuff on the replay screen :p
Personally not a fan of the WACA one so much, to me it looks a bit higgledy-piggledy...but I am biased as an Adelaidean! Haha

Footy crowds down, MCC profits down !
Vic taxpayer put in a couple of $mil less, profits down.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/mcc-profit-slump-blamed-on-newer-clubs-20130802-2r3rv.html

No doubt the MCG Trust, aka the Vic taxpayer, stumped up profits for the Cricket Club by a couple of $mil.

With all the taxpayer support ($s) why do cricket club members exceed footy club members on GF day, let them go to the cricket & allocate 100% of footy game tickets to footy fans.

So how long do you think it will be until the Great Southern Stand is knocked down and the entire stadium is made uniform?

So how long do you think it will be until the Great Southern Stand is knocked down and the entire stadium is made uniform?
Considering the GSS is in the process of being refurbished, a long long time.

Considering the GSS is in the process of being refurbished, a long long time.
Yeah, it is a shame. My OCD flips out at how lopsided the stadium looks, and how much nicer it would be if it was the same all around, not to mention the increase in capacity it would bring.

The GSS is over 20 years old, but you can only assume it has at least another 50 years left in it.

What are the wires that go across the roof and over the ground? Been sussin' 'em out lately and I have no idea what they're for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back