Racing Melbourne Cup 2023 ( no after the fact posts)

Melbourne Cup winner??

• 2.ALENQUER(9) - Damien Oliver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8.RIGHT YOU ARE(15) - John Allen

• 13.OKITA SOUSHI(20) - Dylan Gibbons (a)

• 14.SHERAZ(22) - Beau Mertens

• 16.MAGICAL LAGOON(7) - Mark Du Plessis

• 19.VIRTUOUS CIRCLE(6) - Craig Newitt

• 22.INTERPRETATION(17) - Teo Nugent

• 23.KALAPOUR(14) - Zac Lloyd (a)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Post Caulfield Cup rankings

1A. GOLD TRIP - Really good run in the Caulfield Cup beating everything bar the winner heading this way comfortably. Expect Flemington to suit him a lot better and presume he meets WAF slightly better at the weights now heading there. Has the class and is already proven running out a strong 2 miles in the Melbourne Cup. All going to be weather dependent as to whether he is the top seed or not. If the track has give in it then it really improves his chances and puts the slows on his main rivals.

1B. WITHOUT A FIGHT - Brilliant winner of the Caulfield Cup. Had a couple lengths on Gold Trip and 5 lengths + on everything else heading this way so very hard to see anything else bar GT being able to turn the tables at Flemington. Technically he is unproven at the trip but with 2800m form in England the expectation is that shouldn't be a problem out here. His wheels don't spin on a wet surface though so if we have a soft track then its almost rule a line territory. Firm track though and he is the one to beat.

3. SOULCOMBE - Complete barrier rogue. Walked out 8 lengths behind them in the Caulfield Cup and ran really well considering. Made up good ground in that race through the 800-600 and was on the back of WAF and GT but then got crowded for a bit of room in the straight before plugging home reasonably. I think 2 miles at Flemington will suit him perfectly and that was a decent Cup trial all things considered but he is just consistently shit at the barriers and is just getting worse so no reason to think he wont miss the kick poorly at Flemington again and have to pass the whole field.

4. VAUBAN - Valiant King didn't exactly frank the form at Caulfield but he finished around these sort of horses and Vauban did beat him pretty comfortably by a couple lengths so would expect him to be in this sort of area still.

5. BREAKUP - Average at best Caulfield Cup run and he just didnt seem fast enough or good enough to sustain speed over 2400m. I expect the bigger Flemington track and the 2 miles to both be better suited for him but not by enough to be able to make up the difference on those already rated ahead of him.

Doesn't seem any point in going beyond this for winning chances for me. It was a strong Caulfield Cup and that is THE form race for Flemington with the other lead ups looking pretty lackluster. For the sake of looking deeper ill just round out the list with the best roughies for the back end of exotics.

ASHRUN - Currently $120 was one of the better runs out of the Bart Cummings. Off the scene for pretty much 2 years his first up run this prep was really good sitting 3WNC and getting beat 3.75L over 1700m. Backed that up in the Bart Cummings running on really well from last clocking the best last 800, 600 and 400 whilst giving away 5kg to the first two.

DAQUIANSWEET JUNIOR - Currently $101. As previously stated in this thread he is basically on the same prep as last year where he ran a credible 6th in the Cup and gets in nice and light in the weights. His 3200m form in this country is good and generally runs above market expectations when getting out to a trip so can see him running past some more tired horses at the end.

SPANISH MISSION - Currently $65. As said above he had been pegged as an out and out 2 miler since he got here and he has had 6 runs since that Spring for 5 goes at 2000m or less and one go at 2400m on a wet track which he doesn't go on. He is older, locally trained and had injuries so obviously not near his best but he has a lot more class potential than anything else in the dregs and his last start Turnbull 8th has a lot of merit crossing the line with most of these types.

VIRTUOUS CIRCLE - Currently $55. Had no luck in the Bart Cummings when running into traffic everywhere. Think he finishes considerably closer with luck and meets most of that field better of fat the weights should they meet again at Flemington.

MORE FELONS - Currently $300. For the plays tall believers. Yet to be seen but on his European form he isn't really any worse off than a lot of others also making up the numbers and he is a considerably better price than most of them. He will stay the 2 miles no problems and gets in light at the weights. For comparison he took on Absurde in the Ebor in their last race start before coming here and he was 14/1 vs 7/1 in that race carrying basically a kilo more and now meets him 3.5kg better off for a 3 length defeat in that race so I think id rather spec MF at 15x the price.

Trouble with a lot of the roughies though is they are on the day F4 add ons and if they run well before the Cup the odds will likely be gone and if they run like shit you probably dont want to be with them...

I don't know how many have tried but I'm guessing it's more than 30. But only 4 horses have won the race 1st up.

Vintage Crop (55)
Twilight Payment (55)
Rekindling (51.5)
Cross Counter (51)

I forgot who once said it but they said "always treat the Europeans 1st up as scratchings"

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't know how many have tried but I'm guessing it's more than 30. But only 4 horses have won the race 1st up.

Vintage Crop (55)
Twilight Payment (55)
Rekindling (51.5)
Cross Counter (51)

I forgot who once said it but they said "always treat the Europeans 1st up as scratchings"

It was probably someone before 2017. Not sure its all the worrying since then as the euros appear to have worked out the right types to bring over.

This is just my thoughts on the field in 10 lines or less per horse.

1. Gold Trip: Last year's winner. Which means it will have the jockey equivalent of Jake Stringer on it. For you see Jake Stringer...

View attachment 1847188

He'll be thereabouts and does look to be asking for 3200 but weight kills his winning hopes for me (And yes I know it's only one kilo more, but that kilo means a lot).

2. Alenquer: Ollie's last Hurrah. If it even makes it to the dance. Like Ollie it's breaking down and might be scratched in the morning. Probably can't win even if it does run. Hasn't done anything since it got here. Pass

3. Without A Fight: The Caulfield Cup winner. Came 13th last year in this race. Interestingly Mark Zahra stuck with it instead of switching back to Gold Trip. I think you need to include it, but I just don't know if it can get 3200. Has won at 2800 but those last 400 meters are a killer.

4. Breakup: The great hope of Japan. Which given the past history of Japanese horses in the Melbourne Cup means it will either win or break its leg and die halfway up the back straight. It's just how things go for them. I think the Caulfield was its target though. Could surprise at each way odds though.

5. Vauban: The much touted favorite and with good reason. On top form he's a class above the rest. Can he do it first up in a foreign country though? Favorites have not been great in the Cup the last 20 years. Need to take it on class alone but there's a LOT of questions still for me and at only barely above each-way odds. I don't want questions.

6. Soulcombe: Kinda the forgotten British runner. Flashed home in the Caulfield which suggests he's looking for 3200 and Joao will put him in the right spot at the top of the straight. I would've preferred an outside draw though. Hates being crowded. Each Way.

7. Absurde: I'm interested simply because Zac "Hong Kong racing calls me Daddy" Purton is flying in to ride him. Won the Ebor which is a good sign and will get 3200 easily, it's won over 4000. Probably shouldn't be 10/1 but class is the query . Definitely a dark horse though.

8. Right You Are: Stayed on well despite running on speed in the Caulfield which suggests it will get 3200. But it's never won past 2400 and I don't think it has the class to beat the top raters. Might get a pay day but placing might be too big an ask. Value for your multiples though.

9. Vow and Declare: The 2019 Champion and finally might be starting to look like it again now its rating has slipped, but 2019 was a lot weaker than this and he's got a lot more miles on his legs. Again value for your multiples but no more than that.

10. Cleveland: Won the Moonee Valley Cup to make it and has won over 3750. But the Sydney Cup run was just terrible and I don't know how one gets back from that. Plus it drew the Mad Mouse at the Showgrounds. Which means it's probably going to have to run 3750. Multis only again.

11. Ashrun: 10th in 2020. Pretty much injured since then. Did look good at Geelong though. It's not the worst runner out there but distance and class are again the question like so many this year. I'm happy to risk laying it.

12. Daiqiansweet Junior: Well it won the Adelaide Cup. So we know it'll get 3200. All you can ask for from a 100/1 shot. That might have been the peak of his powers though and this is a lot tougher. Top 10 is a chance. Value for Multis. Probably won't place though.

13. Okita Soushi: The kindest thing I can say about him is he'll get 3200 as he's won over it. But the Caulfield Cup run was, excuse my french, *ing atrocious and I don't think he's ever settled since coming over. Wide Draw sealed his fate if it wasn't already. Pass.

14. Sheraz: The French Import for the Wallers. Well its best run here was over 3200 in the Sydney Cup. But the rest of them have been terrible, he drew the Animal Enclosure at the Showgrounds plus he's a mudlark. Not unless the rain arrives.

15. Lastotchka: The other first up runner. Intriguing. Did win a group 3 over 3100 last start before flying here. But everything in her formline says she's going to need the sting out of the ground. Another one I'm happy to lay unless the rain hits.

16. Magical Lagoon: She's probably going to have to lead and run them ragged to have a snowflakes chance in hell. As it stands though, she's 150/1 and probably should be double that. Nope.

17. Military Mission: It's been whispered about as a smoky since it won the Herbert Power and he does have a lightweight and a decent draw. I just question the class. If anyone can get him up it's Gai, but his current price (Around 25-33/1) seems like the right price to me.

18. Serpentine: Did literally nothing in this race last year after finishing second in the Lexus. Didn't need the Lexus this year so it might run a race fit, but he just doesn't have the class. Again if anyone can get him up it's Gai but no, not here.

19. Virtuous Circle: The baby of the race. Whos only 2 wins have come over 1500. Maybe his country based trainer is seeing something I'm not, but this seems more a case of "Story for the grandkids" runner than a "I think it can win" runner. Pass.

20. More Felons: Formally known as Scriptwriter before it came here, he'll carry the hopes of Jamie Kah backers everywhere. His only run was eyecatching at Geelong when it flashed home. But drew the Car Park. That probably kills what small hopes it has. Still maybe a place hope.

21. Future History: Looked good winning the Bart, ticked over fine at Moonee Valley, but I don't know if he can get 3200, it's always that last 400 that's the killer. Would be nice for Hollie Doyle to get a win though. Still going to lay it.

22. Interpretation: Okay it did win last start at Bendigo to make it in here. That's good. That was also his first win in over 2 years, this is a lot tougher and it broke down in this race last year. Plus his form before Bendigo was lacklustre at best. You can have it. I won't.

23. Kalapour: The Lexus winner to make it in. But the last Lexus winner to actually do anything was Prince of Arran. In 2018. The last to win was Shocking. In 2009. If somehow he can back up he does have a light weight but no, just no.

24. True Marvel: Well....it will get 3200. That's the good news if you want him. The bad news is by the time he gets the 3200 the next race will have started. You don't go from winning a Hamilton Hurdle to the Melbourne Cup in 6 months. 125/1 and should be 3 times that.
Breakups target was not the caulfield cup haha

GT $9 v Absurde $11 is utterly bizarre to me
One of them has won the race before, is a proven commodity over the track and trip and is absolutely flying going close in the strongest leadups.
The other is out here to keep Vauban company who he was smashed by and seems to have his measure generally and first up in a new country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GT $9 v Absurde $11 is utterly bizarre to me
One of them has won the race before, is a proven commodity over the track and trip and is absolutely flying going close in the strongest leadups.
The other is out here to keep Vauban company who he was smashed by and seems to have his measure generally and first up in a new country.

IT'S QUITE FRANKLY ABSURDE

Vintage Crop (55)
Twilight Payment (55)
Rekindling (51.5)
Cross Counter (51)

The Euro’s recently appear to have a good first up record coming over to Aus. Not specific to the melb cup but just in general.

ONE MINUTE MELBOURNE CUP FORMGUIDE

GOLD TRIP - Looks genuine overs for the second straight year. In career best form and his runs in the Caulfield Cup and Cox Plate were perfect tune ups to go back to back. If it somehow gets soft he is basically a moral but even on dry ground he looks incredibly hard to beat.
ALENQUER - Sore hoof and almost certain to be coming out. It's only chance was if every other jockey in the race had their first ever bet on it.
WITHOUT A FIGHT - Mammoth Caulfield Cup win and if he stays dry he will most likely look the winner a furlong out. The last 400m may test him but more than enough juice in the price to see if he can be the first to do the Cups double since Ethereal.
BREAKUP - Showed how cooked he was with a battling Caulfield Cup display. Has none if they go slow as is a total plodder. Best hope is if they go like the clappers and he outstays them but has to much to turn around from Caulfield.
VAUBAN - Quiet simply, the biggest false fave and worst priced horse in the history of the great race (although starting to get out from the truly insane sub $4 quote). Comes through second tier UK/Irish staying races which historically are not good enough to win this and is far too close in the weights to genuine WFA gallopers. Unexposed so a win wouldn't completely shock but if he wins I lose.
SOULCOMBE - Some chance if he jumps with them but nothing to suggest he will. Looks a monty to be storming all over the top of them to run into the placings after the winner has flown.
ABSURDE - See the name for what I think of the price - how does this have any chance? Smashed by the fave (who i dont rate) at Royal Ascot and comes out of the most overrated Cup trial race there is in the Slowbor. You should be absolutely smashing the pink on this thing.
RIGHT YOU ARE - ....not to be competing in this race - not classy enough and won't stay the trip down a well - genuine 300s chance.
VOW AND DECALRE - one of the worst Cup winners of all time winning the most farcically run edition of all time. Looks a good shot of plodding in to 10th but will never look close to the winner unless he happens to find the lead in a race where they go 30 lengths below standard.
ASHRUN - Honest toiler who was 10th three years ago and then couldn't win what looks a pissweak Geelong Cup. Can run top 10 without troubling the pointy end.
DAQIANSWEET JUNIOR - Looking for 4000m - will probably stay on to about 8th but couldn't win if he started tonight.
OKITA SOUSHI - Could come on from a dogshit run at Caulfield if he is fitness improves and is big odds so might be one worth including in very wide exotics on 3rd/4th lines
SHERAZ - I'd struggle to find him at 30s in a Sydney Cup which suggests the 200/1 here is the right price. No.
LASTOCHKA - Typical French plodder that Oz Bloodstock talk up that is actually no good. Only truly champion mares win this race and this thing has absolutely none. Actually a decent lay at $19 if you like taking $1.05 chances.
MAGICAL LAGOON - Exhibit A of how Chris Waller turns top class European imports into absolute camels. Not a single piece of Australian form that gets it close to running into the top half.
MILITARY MISSION - Only positive is it ran in the dynamite Newcastle Cup - a race which has produced a ton of winners - just in races about 15 lengths below this in quality. Isn't good enough.
SERPENTINE - Will be up on the pace and out of trouble which is the main thing going for it but has been getting rolled by the C graders so can't see how it can feature against the top liners.
VIRTIOUS CIRCLE - This was a plodding staying 3yo who has turned into a dogshit staying 4yo, Hope it isn't in front of any of my horses in running.
MORE FELONS - Look what I wrote about Absurde and then think that this thing couldn't get within 3 lengths of it in the Slowbor. Then it couldn't place behind Amade in the Geelong Cup - that's not good enough.
FUTURE HISTORY - Close to the run of the race in the MV Cup and has a lightweight and is in top form - looks one of the better longshots for exotics.
INTERPREATION - One of the greatest frauds to ever come to these shores who has been talked up as a Group 1 quality horse but done nothing but fall in with a dogshit Bendigo Cup in a complete PR. It is no good and will go down as one of the worst horses to run in two Melbourne Cups.
KALAPOUR - Like a worse version of Military Mission coming through the Newcastle Cup. Complete birthday on Saturday and won't be getting that again. No chance.
TRUE MARVEL - Owners know it has no chance and have just entered for (an expensive) day out. Good luck to them.

No to Gold Trip - poor map, track unsuitable, weight.
No to Soulcombe - slow away, won’t be slowly run and will have too far to make up.

Without A Fight
Vauban

Absurde, Break Up

More Felons, Future History, Right You Are

Gold Trip looking set to be a decent play for me now he has gotten out. Feel like money will come for him closer to race time though given he is obviously overs and there could possibly be a bit of rain around Cup time.

Firm track doesnt worry me in the slightest. It was a worry previously with his dodgy feet but stable have said that is fine now and his firm track form this prep backs that up.

The big weight doesn't really worry me that much either given that he had the exact same weight in the CC and still beat Soulcombe and Breakup by 3-4 lengths and the only horse who beat him home he meets a kilo better off for that race. He is a massive big stallion anyway so will find carrying weight a lot easier than most.

From barrier 2 hopefully they can sit a little closer than usual and it shouldnt really matter how the race is run given he has a good turn of foot over the lesser trips and as we saw last year he has the stamina to run over them if they make it a test

First $23 outlayed on a trifecta i usually never ever get for 230%. 👌🤷‍♀️View attachment 1847273

This is basically what I'm planning to do with GT/WAF, aiming for % over big divs. Probably looking at Breakup/2x donkeys on the 3rd line. I can't believe Gold Trip isn't clear fave. WAF a much better result with doubles, multis, everything for me.. But I think GT brains them all things considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Racing Melbourne Cup 2023 ( no after the fact posts)

Back