Melbourne Legend Robert Flower passes away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to believe it's been 10 years since he has passed away. Great player despite his frame size. Deceptively elite despite playing in such a poor side back in the 80's.
Wonderful player. Did he only play 3 finals?

Makes a mockery of the media's narrative that to be a great player you need to have a premiership under your belt.

Best way I can explain it was one day at the Western oval in the 80’s we had a free about 50 odd out. I’m sitting right behind the goals wearing my number 2. A half a dozen big men are in the goal square. Almost unnoticed Flower moves behind them all. On the fence between the right goal and point post. I can almost touch him. As the ball is kicked he begins a slow run up behind the pack, and I knew - knew- it was his. And sure enough that skinny had no right to be on the football field player had soared between those players that were much taller and heavier than him to take a screamer in the goal square.
And he did things like that week in week out for 272 games.
I can’t think of a comparison in today’s players. Maybe peak Pendles for that ability to slow down time, but it’s more than that too. He just knew where the ball was going to be a second before anyone else and knew what the opposition players were going to do before they did.
Everything he did was pure silk.
Pendlebury ? :rolleyes: wouldnt get to tie Flowers' bootlaces,different realms my friend,Flowers is the realm of Greig n Schimma,Hawkins,Gary Wilson,Leon Baker,those types,speed,balance, skill either side,Pendleburys a level or 2 below that lot

A great player, imagine if he played for a top team like Carlton, Richmond, North or Hawthorn at the time? The amazing thing is he won Melbourne's Best & Fairest just once playing in a crap team. Were they blind?

A great player, imagine if he played for a top team like Carlton, Richmond, North or Hawthorn at the time? The amazing thing is he won Melbourne's Best & Fairest just once playing in a crap team. Were they blind?
Not all that easy to win them from a wing in the old-fashioned game before positional flexibility became a Thing.

Dougie Hawkins only won one. Mick Turner never did.

Not all that easy to win them from a wing in the old-fashioned game before positional flexibility became a Thing.

Dougie Hawkins only won one. Mick Turner never did.
Yes, that's a mystery too, both should've won multiple times, but they were playing in better teams. Melbourne were awful in the 70s and early 80s. Surely Flower was the best Demon for 15 seasons? He finished 3rd the 1979 Brownlow when his team finished 2nd last and only lost by 3 votes to the eventual winner whose team played off in the GF!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at one of those MCG Richmond games in the highlight reel when Robbie absolutely dominated. He kept marking from the Dees kick in, and proceeded to run and bounce and zig zag around Tiger players and get the ball into the attacking zone. It happened so much I thought there may have been a bit of shimsham going on. But of course not. He was just brilliant, on either side, left right, like a dancer or acrobat. Damn good mark too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne Legend Robert Flower passes away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back