melbourne2004

Rookie
Oct 6, 2003
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
melbourne needed a clean out after last years performance. many players still remain on the list that are not quality footballers and will not take melbourne to a premiership.

Trade period:

We should have got Danny Jacobs instead of Ben Holland. Jacobs has proven to be a reliable defender in the absence of Dustin Fletcher whilist Holland sat last season on the bench. Jacobs is young whilist holland is too slow and too injury prone.

Melbourne could have easily used pick 20 better than what they did. Ben Holland is not worth a second round draft pick. I would have been more inclined to use pick 20 (and a melbourne player)in trade involving jacobs.

Now we have got a player (holland) in the same class as Alister Nicholson. Cannot play.. poor skills and soft.

Melbourne need to move forward and this was not the right move.

The following players should have been traded or should be delisted in coming days:

Alister Nicholson - cannot be bothered wasting my breath again (see above)
Chris Lamb - project player- bulls**t, too slow, too small to play a key position, too weak. Hasnt delivered. you cannot wait for ever.
Ezra Poyas -why did we draft him in the first place? another richmond hack to go along with holland
Guy Rigoni - injuries, doesnt play enough, too old
Peter Walsh - too inconsistent,makes too many skill errors, too old
Daniel Ward - too busy at the races
Paul Wheatley - long boot but doesnt get the ball enough, soft
Luke Williams - too small, had an ok season last year, but sick and tired of seeing his name on the list when it could be filled with someone of greater potential, wasting space on melbournes list.

melbourne has proven itself to be one of the worst trading teams in the afls history.
David Grant
Craig Turley
Jamie Shanahan
Craig Ellis
Gary Moorcroft
Ezra Poyas
Plus i am sure that there are many that i forgot to mention. (Holland to be added soon)
We have had one good trade and that was clint bizzell. thats about all i can think of???

agree 100%

Like I said in the other thread, I'm very ****ed off with how we went in trade week & Corcoran & his mates continue to dissapoint!!

What can we do??

a) Shanahan wasn't traded for, we picked him in the pre-season draft for nothing.
b) He was a welcome addition to 1997's worst defence in the AFL - and did more than enough to justify his selection.

And fancy burying Holland before he's even pulled the jumper on once. What a bloody great supporter you obviously are.

another 1

Cant remeber if we traded for him or drafted him but James Cook has to be right up there!!

Originally posted by melbourne2004
melbourne has proven itself to be one of the worst trading teams in the afls history.
David Grant
Craig Turley
Jamie Shanahan
Craig Ellis
Gary Moorcroft
Ezra Poyas
Plus i am sure that there are many that i forgot to mention. (Holland to be added soon)
We have had one good trade and that was clint bizzell. thats about all i can think of???
Shanahan was good for us, and he was picked up in the pre-season draft.
Moorcroft was the national draft.
Poyas was the rookie draft.

Move on.

I bet you were critical when we got Bizzell from Geelong. I know I was. Luckily, Bizzell has proved me wrong in every possible way.

In other words, guve Dutchy a chance. You will be very silent if he wins AA honours with us.

I wasnt critical when we drafted Clint Bizzell. At Geelong he had proven himself to be a reliable footballer unlike holland. Plus we got rid of Brent Grgic.

Ben Holland willl be another dud player and at the end of next season will be added to melbournes stockpile of sh**house footballers, that melbourne seem to continulally attract from other clubs.

It is clear that based upon our trading history the bad is significantly outweighing the good, in respect to recruiting players from other clubs.

I think based upon our situation prior to the trade period we were in the position to get danny jacobs or other quality footballers, however ended up with the dud ben holland. I will give him a chance, but clearly we could have used pick 20 as well as trading current players (mentioned above) to improve our list.

Originally posted by melbourne2004
Ben Holland willl be another dud player and at the end of next season will be added to melbournes stockpile of sh**house footballers, that melbourne seem to continulally attract from other clubs.

I think based upon our situation prior to the trade period we were in the position to get danny jacobs or other quality footballers, however ended up with the dud ben holland. I will give him a chance, but clearly we could have used pick 20 as well as trading current players (mentioned above) to improve our list.

Exactly.

If he does somehow find something it will be for 2 years max. He is not going to be the CHF or CHB of a flag-winning Melbourne side.

Holland will show the way for Ferguson, Carroll, Miller and Smith people are saying. All I see him doing is getting in the way of their development and using up their gametime.

I don't see the point.

Re: agree 100%

Originally posted by adsy
Like I said in the other thread, I'm very ****ed off with how we went in trade week & Corcoran & his mates continue to dissapoint!!

What can we do??

Do the Dees over do it with drafting players for certain positions rather than taking the best available with early picks ?

Originally posted by Broadbridge_20
I will be silent if he is the CHF or CHB in a premiership with us.

I expect you to be silent if he isnt.
:confused:

Are you saying that Bizzell would be a waste of time if we didn't win a Premiership before he retires?

What if Holland wins our B&F next year? Will you change your mind then? I guess you won't as you can't admit that you were wrong with Robertson.

Originally posted by Demon37
:confused:

Are you saying that Bizzell would be a waste of time if we didn't win a Premiership before he retires?

What if Holland wins our B&F next year? Will you change your mind then? I guess you won't as you can't admit that you were wrong with Robertson.

Every player is a waste of time if they don’t deliver a premiership that’s what Melbourne supporters cant see and that’s why we havent won one for half a century.

If Clint Bizzell doesn’t win one before he retires I will be disappointed but by that time he and the club would have had 8 years to get the mixture right. The bottom line is you only trade for a 27 yr old with a 2 yr lifespan if you believe that 27 yr old can be the difference between winning a premiership and not winning a premiership, otherwise it’s pointless.

If we were going to recruit a 27 yr old it shouldve been Simon Goodwin. He is the missing link to our midfield, wouldve injected the experience and hardness we’re crying for and guided Johnstone, Armstrong and Thompson by playing beside them, not instead of them.

The worst thing about it all is that Holland will probably have a decent year, may even lead our mark count and everyone will be rapt about the decision. 2 yrs later he’ll retire and we’ll be in the same position we’re in now.

If you don’t expect Holland to win a premiership with us please tell me what the point was of picking him up??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The draft is not an exact science, every club has picked up its fair share of duds. To single out Melbourne as one of the worst is very subjective. If you want to vent your spleen and have a crack at the list just say so, don't attempt to dress it up as constructive critism.

You must be a real deep thinker to come up with such insightful analysis such as
Cannot play.. poor skills and soft.
Yes, he may not have the best skills but he a reliable defender and we would have coped some even greater woopings without him.
too small, had an ok season last year, but sick and tired of seeing his name on the list when it could be filled with someone of greater potential, wasting space on melbournes list.
:rolleyes: That's exactly what we need, more players with POTENTIAL..............Which by the way, I think most supporters would say Williams actually has. Our list has potential all through it, even more than Collingwood I believe.

Look at Brisbane", it took years to bring on players such as Leppa, Lappin, Bradshaw and Ackermanis. In that time Brisbane drafted such names as Paul Peos, John Gastev, Paul Murphy, Martin Leshie, Trent Bartlett, Tristan Lynch, Scott Bamford, Brendon McCormack, Brad Boyd, Tim Shermin, Troy Johnson, Troy Clarke, Danny Craven, Troy Lehman, Nathan Chapman. I haven't even started on the Carrara years.

SO, if you are going to have a crack at a fair chunk of the list don't be a smart arse and think of something constructive.

If you don’t expect Holland to win a premiership with us please tell me what the point was of picking him up??
To give us 5 years of service at CHF-CHB, helping us avoid burning out Miller and Smith by playing them too early.

When Miller and Smith peak... a Premiership could well be on the way.

Which is why we should avoid playing them in Key Positions week in, week out when they're not ready.

It will extend their careers by 3-4 years.

To give us 5 years of service at CHF-CHB, helping us avoid burning out Miller and Smith by playing them too early.

When Miller and Smith peak... a Premiership could well be on the way.

Which is why we should avoid playing them in Key Positions week in, week out when they're not ready.

It will extend their careers by 3-4 years.

Miller is ready to go now, as are Ferguson, Lamb and Carroll. Smith may be a year off but he's never going to learn unless he gets game time. All Holland is going to do is rob him of it.

Miller is ready to go now, as are Ferguson, Lamb and Carroll. Smith may be a year off but he's never going to learn unless he gets game time. All Holland is going to do is rob him of it.
He might be ready now... but if we play him at CHF for 22 weeks over the next (say) 6-7 seasons, we might see an early retirement.

Better off playing him in a FP, which is why we recruited Dutchy. To play CHF (or CHB).

He might be ready now... but if we play him at CHF for 22 weeks over the next (say) 6-7 seasons, we might see an early retirement.

Better off playing him in a FP, which is why we recruited Dutchy. To play CHF (or CHB).

So we've recruited Ben Holland to push back Miller and Smith's retirement 1 season?

You can't be serious.

Sounds like more of an excuse than a reason.

So we've recruited Ben Holland to push back Miller and Smith's retirement 1 season?

You can't be serious.

Sounds like more of an excuse than a reason.
I'm talking about 3, maybe 4 seasons longer.

You have obviously written Holland off already. Why can't you give him a chance? He might regain his 2001 form, and play on for another 6 years.

It's pretty obvious you didn't like Heffernan from Day 1, and you seem to be going down the same path with Dutchy.

Remove this Banner Ad

melbourne trading terrible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back