Melbourne: Your Town!! Your Team!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by littleduck
Yep..

Yeah, teams were oustied by SL during the compromise.

Pedantic point but SL didn't oust anybody because the SL never existed after that . And if you're going to blame anybody it would have to be the ARL requiring that SL clubs be not invited .

Originally posted by cos789
Pedantic point but SL didn't oust anybody because the SL never existed after that . And if you're going to blame anybody it would have to be the ARL requiring that SL clubs be not invited .
ok ill rephrase to "... as a result of the SL war".

ps, I supported Super League ahead of the ARL.

Originally posted by billy big ears
Sydney Swans vs Saints at SCG today = 37,000

Melbourne Storm vs West tigers at OP yesterday = 8500

Number of people who attended NRL in Sydney on W/E = 33,000
Therefore the Sydney swans are bigger than the 4 NRL clubs who played in the 2 NRL games and there are more AFL supporters than NRL supporters willing to go to a game .

Number of people who attended NRL in Sydney on W/E = 33,000
Therefore the Sydney swans are bigger than the 4 NRL clubs who played in the 2 NRL games and there are more AFL supporters than NRL supporters willing to go to a game .
Collingwgood average 40,000 - Manchester United average 60,000 - does that mean Collingwood are 2/3rds as popular? Of course not.

The Sydney Swans Australian Football Club drew more people to it's game against St Kilda than all the people who attended NRL games in Sydney . Doesn't that say something oh mighty quoter of Oztam ratings bible , beloved be who dath watch TV .

The Sydney Swans Australian Football Club drew more people to it's game against St Kilda than all the people who attended NRL games in Sydney . Doesn't that say something oh mighty quoter of Oztam ratings bible , beloved be who dath watch TV .
It's AFL types who love quoting the selective OzTam ratings, and all discussions inevitably lead to crowds... as if the 10 million living outside of the 5 capital cities somehow shouldnt count?

Are you a lesser person if you live in county areas?

Yeah, in other words, the season of home games at Docklands was their worst performing year onfield at that time, and came 2 years after premiership success.

I suspect Oly Park is a little like ANZ Stadium (NAFGA: ask me what it means), wherein people attend to watch the football, but after a while stop coming back simply because of the poor quality of the venue and the running track meaning the atmosphere is flat because its further removed from the game. TV becomes a better viewing alternative..

THeir both Better then the Showground!

Theoretically, the Melbourne Storm has the 'potential' for a larger supporter base than any of the 10 AFL clubs individually, but certainly not the AFL support as a whole.

The melbourne storm will never be as big as what Sydney is in Sydney. You know why? Because rugby league is a **** sport.

Re: Re: Melbourne: Your Town!! Your Team!!

Originally posted by Dinga_19
The melbourne storm will never be as big as what Sydney is in Sydney. You know why? Because rugby league is a **** sport.

GO back to your hole and die!!!
AFL = **** arse sport
Rugby League = Greatest Game Of All!

It's AFL types who love quoting the selective OzTam ratings, and all discussions inevitably lead to crowds... as if the 10 million living outside of the 5 capital cities somehow shouldnt count?

As usual you missed the point completely .You are always arguing ratings as to which code is the more popular .

I am quoting a case where people actually attending the game are the measure .

The Sydney Swans Australian Football Club drew more people to it's game against St Kilda than all the people who attended NRL games in Sydney . Therefore it is the more poplular code !

As usual you missed the point completely .You are always arguing ratings as to which code is the more popular .

The Sydney Swans Australian Football Club drew more people to it's game against St Kilda than all the people who attended NRL games in Sydney . Therefore it is the more poplular code !

Asmuch as i envy AFL crowds:) Going to the game isn't exactly the only way of judging the popularity of a sport... ;)

Originally posted by LebaneseForces
Asmuch as i envy AFL crowds:) Going to the game isn't exactly the only way of judging the popularity of a sport... ;)
I agree, but neither is pathetic OzTam figures where only a very very very small percentage of homes are surveyed on what they watch.

Here is a stupid thought, when the next Census is upon us, why dont they add some sport questions as well - fat chance though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are dead wrong on all counts.

You think that crowds determine popularity.
You think that I think that ratings determine popularity.

Dead wrong on both counts. The reality is its a mix of both, and other factors, eg merchandise sales, column inches.

Using the dumb logic from your last paragraph, I could say this.. the Wallabies have the highest crowd average of any football team in Melbourne each year, therefore Rugby Union is the most popular football code in Melbourne. The same nonsense you wrote isnt it?

You think that crowds determine popularity.

If people don't determine popularity ,what else ? Sheep .

You think that I think that ratings determine popularity.

You think that people who can't be bothered to go to the game count .

The reality is its a mix of both, and other factors, eg merchandise sales, column inches.

You are confusing the financial side of sport as against the pure sporting drawcard .

The Wallabies have the highest crowd average of any football team in Melbourne each year, therefore Rugby Union is the most popular football code in Melbourne.

It might help if you compared apples with apples otherwise it is you that appears like a moron .The Wallabies are a national team .You 're not comparing them to the Australian National Football team but to the local teams .Even so the Wallabies aren't the biggest drawcard .

Now have you finished trying to distract people from the fact that the Sydney Swans AFC verses the Saint Kilda Sainys AFC drew more people than the whole of the NRL in Sydney last W/E.
Can you at least attempt to explain it .

If people don't determine popularity ,what else ? Sheep .

You think that people who can't be bothered to go to the game count .

You are confusing the financial side of sport as against the pure sporting drawcard .
My only point is that it's far too simplistic to consider crowds as the sole determinant.

eg. Merchandise sales are a real & tangible indicator of support & popularity, no less so than bums on seats.

"The Wallabies have the highest crowd average of any football team in Melbourne each year, therefore Rugby Union is the most popular football code in Melbourne."

It might help if you compared apples with apples otherwise it is you that appears like a moron .The Wallabies are a national team .You 're not comparing them to the Australian National Football team but to the local teams .Even so the Wallabies aren't the biggest drawcard .
Please quote properly:
Using the dumb logic from your last paragraph, I could say this.. the Wallabies have the highest crowd average of any football team in Melbourne each year, therefore Rugby Union is the most popular football code in Melbourne. The same nonsense you wrote isnt it?

Now have you finished trying to distract people from the fact that the Sydney Swans AFC verses the Saint Kilda Sainys AFC drew more people than the whole of the NRL in Sydney last W/E.
Can you at least attempt to explain it .
Congratulations, but you make it sound like the Swans themself are bigger than the NRL combined. Is that what you're suggesting?

Merchandise sales are a real & tangible indicator of support & popularity, no less so than bums on seats.

It's simple bums on seats is the primary and most easily accountable measure of popularity . There are lesser (much lesser) methods but they are open to much distortion .
Merchandise - the WAFL clubs updated their jumpers recently and there was a huge buy up by the public .Does this mean they are now more popular than with the old jumpers ?A lot of people buy wallaby jumpers and they don't even follow RU .IN fact a lot of people buy rugby jumpers because Australian Football jumpers are worn socially because of the lack of a colar .
Media -need i go into this can of worms .Basically the amount of media coverage is determined by who's driving the coverage .
Sales -the only sales that count are ticket sales !

It's simple bums on seats is the primary and most easily accountable measure of popularity . There are lesser (much lesser) methods but they are open to much distortion .
Merchandise - the WAFL clubs updated their jumpers recently and there was a huge buy up by the public .Does this mean they are now more popular than with the old jumpers ?A lot of people buy wallaby jumpers and they don't even follow RU .IN fact a lot of people buy rugby jumpers because Australian Football jumpers are worn socially because of the lack of a colar .
Media -need i go into this can of worms .Basically the amount of media coverage is determined by who's driving the coverage .
Sales -the only sales that count are ticket sales !
Are you trying to say that because AFL has an average double that of NRL, therefore AFL is twice as popular? You must be if you're trying to confine everything to a quick & easy attendance comparison.

Is AFL really twice as popular? I would argue it's only about 10-15% more popular.

AFL might have an average which is double that of NRL (32k cf 16k), but the NRL is a clear 2nd in any attendance analysis, with daylight 3rd 4th & 5th, all the way back to other codes like union & soccer.

A 16,000 average across 192 games, with 150-200,000 patrons for a State of Origin Series, plus a NRL Finals average crowds of 35,000, is significant.

You (& others) only minimise that success in attracting fans to the NRL by constant references to AFL. Many other professional football codes could be made to look ordinary as well with attendance comparisons to AFL.

Whilst I agree NRL crowds are generally below what should be expected, I think they are made to look worse than they actually are due to the well above average success of AFL in attracting patrons.

Anyway, patronage accounts for approximately 15% of revenue, whereas broadcast rights (FTA & payTV) account for the vast majority.

What's more important?

I wouldn't like to count the number of times I've posted this but the football match between the Sydney Swans AFC verses the Saint Kilda Saints AFC drew more people than the whole of the NRL in Sydney last W/E.

Can you at least attempt to explain it . The emphasis was on the word "explain" .Got it . EXPLAIN . Can you explain why more people rolled up to watch one AFL game than did people roll up to watch NRL in Sydney .
The weather ? - It was a perfect day .
Something better on TV ? - I doubt it .
Some other big event ? - Not that I heard .
Shopping maybe ? - Buying all that merchadise you're so keen on .

For the WHOLE weekend?

Considering there were two matches, one which was marked by violence the last time the two teams played and the other a home game for the second wrost Sydney team running around, It doesn't mean much. Especially when their in the top 8 and they are playing a team that was invincible going in to the match...

Would a swans match against West Coast or Port Adelaide drwan the same?

Round 2 AFL-Sydney Vs Freo 22,000 (Rounded UP I might add)
Round 4 NRL-45,000 from 3 matches.

round 3 AFL-26,000 Vs Geelong
round 5 NRL-98,00 from 5 matches.

Round 5 AFL-34,000 Vs Melbourne (Advertised to death to...)
round 7 NRL-65,000 from 4 matches.

round 7 AFL-23,000 vs Richmond
round 9 NRL-33,000 from 3 matches.

round 9 AFL-25,000 Vs Hawthorn
round 11 NRL-49,000 from 4 matches.

Round 10 AFL-24,000 Vs bulldogs (Not neccesarily a home game)
round 12 NRL-62,000 from 4 matches.

Handsome Margin everytime. Barring last weekend. The Swans will outscore the NRL twice this year in Sydney I imagine too.

Originally posted by Hurbie
Oh yeah, I'd also say that the AFL is probably 1.5 times more popular than the NRL. certainly nowhere enar double though.

See it didn't take you long to work it out . LD is still scratching his feathers going on about everything else under the sun . Note that it was LD not me who said AFL is twice as popular as NRL but thanks for the endorsement anyway . But I didn't need a history lesson . The Sydney Swans are doing poorly this year onfield but they still manage to outdraw the Sydney NRL occassionally .IF there was only one AFL game in Melbourne on a W/E then it would be capacity , no matter what teams were invovled .

See it didn't take you long to work it out . LD is still scratching his feathers going on about everything else under the sun . Note that it was LD not me who said AFL is twice as popular as NRL but thanks for the endorsement anyway . But I didn't need a history lesson . The Sydney Swans are doing poorly this year onfield but they still manage to outdraw the Sydney NRL occassionally .IF there was only one AFL game in Melbourne on a W/E then it would be capacity , no matter what teams were invovled .
Fair dinkum Mr Cossie.

I was asking a question saying that, on the basis of your prevent recent jibberish, AFL is exactly twice as popular as NRL because crowds are exactly twice as many. Correct me if I'm too drunk to realise, but wasn't I being sarcastic? I believe AFL is about 10-15% more popular, certainly not 100% more popular.

I dont think its too controversial to state the obvious, which is that a range of factors determine a codes (also any sport) popularity, not just crowds.

I think you are taking the radical position on this point.

I'd hardly call being the top 8 a 'bad' year. The NRL is easily more popular than the AFL in Sydney, On TOTAL crowds, tv viewership, Media Support and every other factor under the sun except for crowd averages, which, as can be pointed out, are only part of a bigger picture (Case in point-Monaco's crowd average in 11-12,000. It doesn't mean the club isn't less popular than all of the AFL clubs put together)

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne: Your Town!! Your Team!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back