Membership 2014 - Final Total 66,122

Remove this Banner Ad

Small minded mentality from a small town, you seem to forget the tin rattling from "Save our Skins "

But anyway i'll just retreat back to my Theatre room and enjoy the 2014 Premiership :)

I would like to thank you for posting in this thread. You have confirmed by your trolling that the prospect of Richmond passing the Hawks membership is getting under the skin of Hawthorn supporters such as yourself.

Last edited:
I would like to think you for posting in this thread. You have confirmed by your trolling that the prospect of Richmond passing the Hawks membership is getting under the skin of Hawthorn supporters such as yourself.
I liked the bit where he bagged me from being from a small town. I live in Melbourne. Just never bothered changing location. In fact I live closer to the city than him, so a bigger part of 'town.' What a minnow. :p

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a website update Late Friday or even Saturday morning. Regardless though - I suspect in order for Peggy to have made the comment she made last week, they either had the numbers already signed up but not published, OR had a bunch of direct debit runs scheduled to be run this week that would contribute enough to get us past the 60.3K mark.

Go Tiges!!

Didn't Peggy say "...we expect" to break Richmond's membership record?
Maybe she did, cant recall for sure. Either way I don't think Peggy would have said it unless the club meant to make a point of breaking our membership record before the season starts, to put the other clubs "on notice". If there was any doubt I would have thought she could have said we'll reach/break our record before our first home game and that would still have been a huge Achievement. Why risk overselling under-delivering?

What is the record? If we get 500 today and 500 Friday that's 60k even though it won't be updated until Monday.
60300 or something. I agree though - that's 650 per day. They will probably have the IT guys update the website on Saturday morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of what happens from here, the fact remains that unless the world ends in the next couple of days, we will convincingly beat our all time membership record, and that'll mean for 5 consecutive seasons we'll have smashed out a record figure, and grown our membership base extremely well.

Our growth has been incredible if you really look at the figures:

2010 - 35,960 members.
2011 - 40,184 members.
2012 - 53,027 members.
2013 - 60,321 members.

Compared to our results:

2010 - 15th
2011 - 12th
2012 - 12th (more wins than 2011)
2013 - 5th (knocked out in our first final)

I daresay, not many clubs could have had the kind of increases that we have had over the last 4-5 seasons, without some serious on-field success. Look at Hawthorn's last 4 seasons:

2010 - 53,978
2011 - 56,224
2012 - 60,841
2013 - 63,353

Compared to their results:

2010 - 8th (knocked out first week of finals)
2011 - 3rd (played in a Prelim Final)
2012 - 1st (minor premiers, runner up to Sydney in the GF)
2013 - 1st (Premiership)

The reason for these increases being smaller is because the Hawks have had their growth period, a few years prior.

In 2006 they had 28,003 members. By 2010, it had risen to that above figure of 53,978. An incredible jump, but what do you expect when that period of time includes playing finals in 3 of those 5 years (2007, 2008, 2010), and more importantly actually winning a premiership in one of them (2008). With those kind of results, off-field success is almost a given, provided you run your ship in the right direction, which the Hawks do.

Pretty damn impressive still, so congratulations to the Hawthorn FC, but the numbers clearly suggest that the initial increases for a team not doing very well, come primarily from on-field success. The fact that we've been able to replicate the growth that the Hawks experienced in 2006-2010, but without the actual on-field success that they needed to do it, tells me that the scope for our growth hasn't got close to reaching its' potential yet.

In other words, without any substantial on-field success, we have still managed to transform ourselves into a power club (off-field) of the competition again, and the final piece of the puzzle is now that consistency and achievement on the field.

We've finally done it the right way, let's be excited about that. Whether we beat Hawthorn in numbers this year or not is irrelevant really, they deserve to be as highly placed as they are, considering they have won 2 premierships in the last 6 seasons, and played in countless finals series. As I've said (and showed evidence for), they're clearly at the peak of their potential, but we are just scratching the surface of ours (provided we stay strong on-field).

If we can essentially achieve nothing of note on the footy field, but still be threatening to dethrone a team that has played in 3 grand finals in 6 years, and have another team that hasn't missed the finals since 2005 (Collingwood) looking over their shoulder at us, it tells me that we are organically one of the biggest teams in this sport.

If in the next 5-10 years we are consistently playing finals football, and we jag a premiership or two, we'll be the biggest club in the AFL. :)

To be honest, based on the numbers alone, we'll probably do it without actually needing to win a premiership. But if we do snag one... hoo boy the AFL isn't going to know what hit it. :eek: :D :D :D!!!!!

I've been sitting on this graph for a while - didn't want to display it until the final number was a shoe in but with ReaperX's post above I thought I may as well - so here it is. 2014 based on projecting current numerical advantage forward from last years total plus those not counted but purchased before the end of last year (5,000). It's a bloody impressive curve !!!!
rfcAnnualMemGrowth.png

I've been sitting on this graph for a while - didn't want to display it until the final number was a shoe in but with ReaperX's post above I thought I may as well - so here it is. 2014 based on projecting current numerical advantage forward from last years total plus those not counted but purchased before the end of last year (5,000). It's a bloody impressive curve !!!!
View attachment 46728

Also, 95,000 people to a final in week 1.

That's a Grand Final size crowd, at an elimination final in week 1... seriously think about that for a minute! :eek:

Can you imagine a Richmond Vs. Collingwood grand final?!?

To use Dwayne Russell's line... "THAT'S OUTTA THIS WORLD!"

Also, 95,000 people to a final in week 1.

That's a Grand Final size crowd, at an elimination final in week 1... seriously think about that for a minute! :eek:

Can you imagine a Richmond Vs. Collingwood grand final?!?

To use Dwayne Russell's line... "THAT'S OUTTA THIS WORLD!"

Not sure I'd go....don't think the G would hold up....:p

View attachment 46728

Hope its not a 3D model because 2011 - 2014 would hurt.

View attachment 46728
I can fully relate to this graph as i have seen a very very similar thing ever since megan gale started showing up in the tiger colours

graph = Megan gale

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership 2014 - Final Total 66,122

Remove this Banner Ad

Back