MEMO to MM and Mr Hind

Remove this Banner Ad

WhyWilliams

Debutant
Aug 18, 2005
Other Teams
Collingwood
It appears that Power, Bartel and any real positive existing player has been re signed by their club.

Whilst the Clement & Holland deal plus Wakelin worked for us lets go back to basics and draft kids from Victoria, Tasmania (although no more Shakeltons or Morrisons please). We need to draft Kids who want to play at Collingwood and who have pace size and skill.

Please do not embaras everyone again with an Andrew Williams type from another club. I am yet to be convinced that Carracella is great for us Woey has struggled (clearly) Stienfort, Rintoul and whilst Jarrad Molloy provided leadership and showed the players how to use their bodies still he was not a 5 year player.

The Swans winning this year has shown that you just have to keep your best team on the park. We have not done this since 2003.

KIDS Please Only Kids no Lance, Fev, Hay, Motlop, Spider, Campo, Lappin, Rawlings.
Just Kids who can play out of 6 picks we should get 3 who can really play

Can you honestly say you wouldnt want a Jimmy Bartell or a Daniel Kerr in a Collingwood Jumper?

Yes, but he is basically saying, if we get a player, get someone who is valuable and not a second tier player or a player moving on to finish there careers late with another club.

As for you mentioning Carl Steinfort, i thought he was a pretty good player for us, myself, not expecting too much and he didn't disappoint when he played.

Lonie_from_50 said:
Yes, but he is basically saying, if we get a player, get someone who is valuable and not a second tier player or a player moving on to finish there careers late with another club.

As for you mentioning Carl Steinfort, i thought he was a pretty good player for us, myself, not expecting too much and he didn't disappoint when he played.

spot on! I thought Steinfort was good value considering he would not have been on big money. Very suprised they didnt renew his contract yet keep other that made you think why?

Stienfort was great value! Don't know how we ever let him slip!

And as for Luke Shackleton... Gez, bit harsh IMO! Always seen him picking up 25+ odd touches for Willy, just never got the chance to show his worth at the top level... I always thought he was a good player, worked his ass off to get his skinfolds down and fitness up, just never got the chance.
Gone downhill now though mind you...

Now that you think of it, a large number of the players on the Collingwood list are players we haven't developed ourselves, instead we've just snagged them from other clubs... Says alot about our drafting methods.

Off the top of my head players traded from other clubs on our list include:
Buckley, Holland, Licca, Clement, Wakes, Morrison, Carracella, Woey, Williams (while he was on there), Rocca, O'Bree, Lokan (while he was there)....
Thats a big chunk of the players on our list, and they are mostly our core players aswell... We really havent done much out of our own accord.

I dont think we have a bad group coming through now though

why willo, this is music to my ears, let us be the ones to build our own team from wise decisions and make other teams jealous of our hard work with recruiting the right kids for the future of our great club... go pies.

I reckon we are bit harsh on our officials

Home Grown talent Burns (Draft pick 90), Didak (Draft Pick 3) Fraser (DP1), Johnson (DP62), Lockyer (Rookie List), Lonie (DP34), Maxwell (Rookie List), Presti (DP10), Richards (DP 37), Rowe (DP60) Ryhce (DP18), Swan(58) and bloke called Talent (sorry Tarrant) (DP8) plus the Clokes

This is before we look at last years kids which may or may not get there and discounting Bucks, Lica, Anthony, Wakes, Clement, Brodie and Carracella who were picked up for nothing really. We have only had three good players traded out Michael (going home), Davis (Going Home), Williams (seeking superannuation) yes all would have been handy at the club.

But I am still firm Power, Bartel, YZE not available lets have Ellis, Dowler etc etc etc etc etc this year for two years keep half and draft 6 more kids next year. We do not have to trade to get early picks this year lets use our early picks to add to our sound list (when they are not injured).

WhyWilliams said:
Please do not embaras everyone again with an Andrew Williams type from another club. I am yet to be convinced that Carracella is great for us Woey has struggled (clearly) Stienfort, Rintoul and whilst Jarrad Molloy provided leadership and showed the players how to use their bodies still he was not a 5 year player.

The Swans winning this year has shown that you just have to keep your best team on the park. We have not done this since 2003.

KIDS Please Only Kids no Lance, Fev, Hay, Motlop, Spider, Campo, Lappin, Rawlings.
Just Kids who can play out of 6 picks we should get 3 who can really play

While I agree with you that we should chase kids, your Swans example totally refutes your theory. They have a team full of recruits from other clubs - Williams Davis Ball Hall Jolly Maxfield Spriggs and Schauble.

hotpie said:
While I agree with you that we should chase kids, your Swans example totally refutes your theory. They have a team full of recruits from other clubs - Williams Davis Ball Hall Jolly Maxfield Spriggs and Schauble.

The last three you mentioned had barely no impact on the Swans success this year.

McLeod23 said:
The last three you mentioned had barely no impact on the Swans success this year.

Two ruckmen and the CHF/captain plus a couple of star midfielder/forwards did though. Plus Maxfield would have been an automatic selection if fit.

They wouldnt have won the flag without recruiting experienced players.

People who say we shouldnt recruit players just because a few recruits in the past have failed, are naive and simplistic.

hotpie said:
Two ruckmen and the CHF/captain plus a couple of star midfielder/forwards did though. Plus Maxfield would have been an automatic selection if fit.

They wouldnt have won the flag without recruiting experienced players.

People who say we shouldnt recruit players just because a few recruits in the past have failed, are naive and simplistic.

agree Hotpie !
Wakelin & Clement have clearly been the best pick ups in the past decade since Bucks.
One thing that has been neglected with our midfield woes, is that we should move heaven and earth to land the best available strong bodied ruckman !
Use the draft for the kids, but trade heavily for a ruckman !

Didak & Ben Johnson, if uninterrupted in pre-season, will add as much to the midfield as any player deemed available before this week eg. Power & Bartel

Remove this Banner Ad

MEMO to MM and Mr Hind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back