Opinion Men's 2023 Leadership Group - Merrett/McGrath captain/vice

Who should be in the 2023 leadership group? [Pick up to 7]

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thread created 15/05/2022

Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast has an exceptional episode this week and goes to town with Rohan Connelly about our leadership

Good to see the masses are catching up. We have had and do not have many great leaders. We really should be going to get guys who have been apart of successful teams. Ask the question of Trent Cotchin about coming across for two years. Ask the question about Tom Jonas maybe. I dunno. someone mentioned who is our Grant Birchall? who is our Luke Hodge? We need external leadership as the internal ones we do have are not doing what they should do

Bump

The Merret decision has been an inspired choice, not only on an individual perspective but for the team. The wider competition is cottoning on to just how good a player he is.

Furthermore, the depth of leadership stems from the wider group. Heppel strikes me as a leader without the C / VC, Langford & Wright have been credited by a few this year on leading the fwd group. McGrath as vice captain has been huge with the surprisingly calm presence of Ben McKay.

The total buy in from the midfield group has been unheralded, the numbers are great but when Durham is well held, Perkins steps up, if they are well held then Caldwell steps up. They work for each other.

Im impressed that the group is maturing a lot quicker than most anticipated, the leaders have naturally flourished with some others blossoming with more resonpisility within the system

Feel like a bit of a mug suggesting Draper for a spot had they gone with a larger leadershii group.

Langford, Ridley and McKay probably next in line for mine.

I was excited about the young guys taking the next step. Would argue only Jye Caldwell has taken a step forward in regards to leading this young group

McGrath is horrible and should focus on his football. Drop from the leadership group.

If I want leadership, I want Scott to come out and tear threads off the playing group in the media conference or during the week because we absolutely shit the bed multiple times during this match against Adelaide.

We 100% should have won this but simply couldn't because we have little leadership.

I was excited about the young guys taking the next step. Would argue only Jye Caldwell has taken a step forward in regards to leading this young group

McGrath is horrible and should focus on his football. Drop from the leadership group.

If I want leadership, I want Scott to come out and tear threads off the playing group in the media conference or during the week because we absolutely shit the bed multiple times during this match against Adelaide.

We 100% should have won this but simply couldn't because we have little leadership.
Came in to post the same.
Out: McGrath
In: Caldwell

Now how many times have I posted about the total lack of depth in leadership and actually drafting some hard edge leaders and not nice leaders ? Bit like the marking and slow small forwards and lack of speed in the back half and KPF who can not mark and a bunch of rucks that all have real weak points.;)

Personally I could not care less about coaches tearing strips of the players in the press conference. Sure it makes the fans feel good but public humiliation is not really the best road. You are also limited in how many times you can blow up behind the scenes now days too before you lost the players. There have been a few coaches in recent years that have lost the playing group by blowing their stack too often. Think Ross is fining that out now at ST.Kilda.

Now how many times have I posted about the total lack of depth in leadership and actually drafting some hard edge leaders and not nice leaders ? Bit like the marking and slow small forwards and lack of speed in the back half and KPF who can not mark and a bunch of rucks that all have real weak points.;)

Personally I could not care less about coaches tearing strips of the players in the press conference. Sure it makes the fans feel good but public humiliation is not really the best road. You are also limited in how many times you can blow up behind the scenes now days too before you lost the players. There have been a few coaches in recent years that have lost the playing group by blowing their stack too often. Think Ross is fining that out now at ST.Kilda.
The initial part of my post mentioned the lack of progress from the emerging leaders mate. Caldwell the only one who has really transpired on field imho

The initial part of my post mentioned the lack of progress from the emerging leaders mate. Caldwell the only one who has really transpired on field imho
Well you do not think there is a correlation with lack of emerging leaders and not rally ticking the box on hard edge leaders ? Leadership seminars will only take you so far . I am not shocked there has not been a lot of progress . If you do not put a draft focus on it you do not reap the rewards. Under different circumstances Hobbs would be a bit more noticeable on that front but he got injured and they have put him back to play midfield in the VFL rather than high half forward at AFL level.

So this is starting to come up again and a really really big reason why the club cant be honest and truthful with itself. The "leaders" in this club really are inept. This thread was started 25 months ago and the same questions continually come up.

I bumped a thread from ant555 from 2011 and the same questions were asked back then. We do not have enough players motivated enough for change and it shows. We do not lack the courage to harness game changers. The last type I can remember us having was Kyle Reimers and he was marched out cause we didn't like his overly obnoxious colour choice in boots. No we didn't want his personality coming out. That was 2012. Sure, he may have not amounted to much but we have not had the courage to contain large personalities for a decade and this continually shows because we are to nice. This comes from the top down.

McGrath could have been dropped at certain times this year but we won't do it. Im sure some players would have drilled Zac if he was kick chasing in lieu of doing the team first things. But we don't.

Sure, will be nice to bring in a Callan Ward. Does the club have the balls to do it? doubtful on the last decade's evidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what do you u think makes a good leader Yoda_ ?
Ive been doing some active research into this on a personal level but stripping right back;

A leader should have the courage to call out another both positively and negatively in a manner that doesn't interrupt the main focus and goal of the wider group.

Ive been doing some active research into this on a personal level but stripping right back;

A leader should have the courage to call out another both positively and negatively in a manner that doesn't interrupt the main focus and goal of the wider group.
So on the basis of what you just posted, why is McGrath not a good leader?

Are we confusing leadership with playing ability? Serious question.

They go hand in hand.

Good leaders have to be able to lead by example. Can’t set a good high performance culture around people who can’t maintain the standards they hope to set.

Your best players aren’t always your best leaders but there’s a baseline of performance that guys need to hit

So on the basis of what you just posted, why is McGrath not a good leader?
because he doesn't have the courage to call out team mates if they are in the wrong spot or stuff up. Alternatively a good leader can also take criticism aimed back at them when doing the wrong thing

Are we confusing leadership with playing ability? Serious question.
I think they are related, at the very least. Good leaders should be great players. This by extension also applies to Heppell, and why he should've handed the leadership over earlier to Zach earlier.

I'd argue those who need leadership most are the young players, guys that are 18-22~. How do you think those teammates feel/react (even on a subconscious level) when they see their leaders making so many mistakes mid game? McGrath turns the ball over for a 4th time coming out of D50, everyone walks a millimetre shorter. It's the little things but they add up.

Contrast that with say a Bontempelli who quite literally would put the entire team on his back Marshawn Lynch style. It's team lifting. Hawks I'm sure would be better off under Sicily rather than Stratton, too.

I think we are much better off for having Zach Captain instead of Heppell. We probably could all agree on that. But I think we need a better VC than McGrath.

Caldwell VC from the midfield. Lead by example type, super competitive. Merrett Captain and plays more half back where we need the leadership, disposal and organisation.

Imagine turning upto day 1 preseason unfit with Merett, Caldwell and Scott at the helm. Good luck.

No more mister nice guy from McGrath and Heppell. Let’s go hard with the standards and have two leaders that lead by example on game day.

Caldwell VC from the midfield. Lead by example type, super competitive. Merrett Captain and plays more half back where we need the leadership, disposal and organisation.

Imagine turning upto day 1 preseason unfit with Merett, Caldwell and Scott at the helm. Good luck.

No more mister nice guy from McGrath and Heppell. Let’s go hard with the standards and have two leaders that lead by example on game day.

100%!

McGrath is a poor on field leader, would love to see Caldwell step up into the VC role. McGrath might be a good off field leader etc, but we need more than that.

I think they are related, at the very least. Good leaders should be great players. This by extension also applies to Heppell, and why he should've handed the leadership over earlier to Zach earlier.

I'd argue those who need leadership most are the young players, guys that are 18-22~. How do you think those teammates feel/react (even on a subconscious level) when they see their leaders making so many mistakes mid game? McGrath turns the ball over for a 4th time coming out of D50, everyone walks a millimetre shorter. It's the little things but they add up.

Contrast that with say a Bontempelli who quite literally would put the entire team on his back Marshawn Lynch style. It's team lifting. Hawks I'm sure would be better off under Sicily rather than Stratton, too.

I think we are much better off for having Zach Captain instead of Heppell. We probably could all agree on that. But I think we need a better VC than McGrath.

Nick Maxwell wasn't necessarily a great player but was an effective leader because AFAIK he had a great ability to connect with the playing group. Gary Ablett Jnr was a great player but not a very effective leader, because he never really seem to have that ability to connect.

I don't think there's a one-size fits all approach.

Obvious you need to be good enough to justify playing AFL each week, but there's a lot more to it than that.

For me it would be things like; can you communicate effectively with your peers? The coaching group? Can you provide guidance and leadership whilst still performing to the required standard? Can you offer 'more' as a leader than not - e.g. a lot of the best leaders have the ability to go up a level when the team and their peers are under pressure.

As a club we've had a dearth of leadership that has that ability to step up when under pressure. Durham and Caldwell might be options given how they've performed this year and the way they seem to be able to provide more when the pressure is on. It's only really their first year doing so, and we also have no idea whatsoever about their ability to connect with the playing group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Men's 2023 Leadership Group - Merrett/McGrath captain/vice

Back